Notary Rotary
Debt Settlement Signing
Notary Discussion History

Debt Settlement Signing
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by CentralNY on 8/22/12 12:59pm
Msg #431449

Debt Settlement Signing

I think this was brought up before but debt settlement signing with a face to face presentaion of 2 pages stating I am a rep of a certain company? I am not comfortable at all and will probaby turn it back. Took call on road, didn't realize what it was. Any one have any experience with this.

Reply by Buddy Young on 8/22/12 1:37pm
Msg #431465

I've done several for one company that has the same 2 page Presentation.

I really don't like doing them because I feel like lawyers are taking advantage of people in financial trouble.

I probably will still do them for the 1 company I've worked for in the past but I turn down offers from anyone elce.

Reply by CentralNY on 8/22/12 1:58pm
Msg #431470

Thanks Buddy. This company seems ok and when I confirmed the client stated it was the best thing for her to do, so I don't forsee problems. I turned back another dc a while back as they wanted me to play a presentation video and it was much more labor intensive than this one for the same fee.

Reply by John E. Rogers on 8/22/12 3:28pm
Msg #431489

I have done quite a few Debt Settlement signings...pretty simple...good pay. I always explain that I am a N.P. and meeting with clients on behalf of...whatever company is involved. Must be honest with clients however...not necessarily try to "sell" them; some will cancel but I have always been paid whether client cancels or not. jer/OH

Reply by CentralNY on 8/22/12 4:02pm
Msg #431496

thanks. this co seems fine and there is no sell at all and small pac. i was contacted by a different ds co a while back and it was very labor intensive and i believe half pay if a no go.

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/22/12 8:45pm
Msg #431558

I have done quite a few Debt Settlement signings...pretty simple...good pay. I always explain that I
"jer/OH", you literally took the words right out of my mouth. There are good and bad companies out there that do this sort of work - I, like you, was fortunate to have worked for a good one. No one held a gun to my signers heads to sign the docs - they were well informed up front and had every opportunity to cancel the agreement, even if it is six months or more down the road after signing! They always verbalized their gratefulness to me for the opportunity to meet the commitment for their debts vs. going bankrupt. I have great respect for that. Truly it is not for everyone, including the skeptics.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/23/12 2:54am
Msg #431611

I refuse any that require me to falsely state that I'm a rep of any company and to do any kind of "presentation". It just doesn't feel right to me. If they're so much on the up and up, why do they require us to lie for them? It's my impression that most notaries on this board refuse to do those - especially if there are any funds to be collected up front, which is illegal in at least some states.

If you do a search on "debt settlement", you'll probably find a ton of info here.

Reply by CommLoanPA on 8/23/12 8:40am
Msg #431624

Do the debt settlement packages contain any documents to be notarized? If no notarizations are required, then it could be argued that even though the debt settlement companies use the notary databases as a source, the person presenting the documents for signature is not there as a "notary" but there as an agent of the debt settlement company. Thus the role of the "notary" under these conditions would be legal, although some "notaries" may not choose to accept these assignments because of ethical standards.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.