Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Economics part II. Estimate your printing costs per page....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by grapebed on 8/12/12 6:20pm
Msg #430211

I know the answers will vary widely, but what do you estimate your cost per page to print one page on your laser printer. The estimate should include all costs to print one page; paper, ink, drum, depreciation of printer, etc,,,?

Thanks. The answers should be interesting.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/12/12 8:12pm
Msg #430218

Around 1 1/2 to 2 cents per page if one refills cartridges and buys paper in bulk.

$3 - $4 for your earlier referenced print job for which you paid $18+.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/12/12 8:21pm
Msg #430219

And breached the borrowers' privacy and

compromised the borrowers' private information

Priceless

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 8/12/12 10:25pm
Msg #430235

This is much bigger than one notary

Among the many ongoing unprofessional practices of Nations Signature Closers, Inc., Shawnee Mission, KS, ("unprofessional" is their middle name) was an attempt a couple of years ago to reduce costs by working out a deal with FedeEx/Kinkos to print the docs and have the notary go pick them up. NSC, of course, dropped printing from the notary fee and, of course, did not add an "extra stop/go out of your way to pick up docs at a Fed Ex location" fee. I confess I did this twice until I finally came to my senses and dropped this crummy outfit for this and other disgusting practices. But on both occasions the whole deal was a disaster. Docs were never ready; So while waiting, I could clearly see FedEx workers ran several "practice" pages before they figured out what to do; in addition to not turning on the double tray function, so they would throw away a bunch of letter size paper docs with the bottom cut off, etc. etc. And they weren't shredded. If the borrowers had any idea their private into was being treatedf this way they'd flip. I think I read on NR that NCS dropped this idea - probably because they weren't saving enuff $$$.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 8/12/12 11:26pm
Msg #430240

Re: Economics part II. A few corrections and adjustments...

1) I can guarantee that you don't have a spiffy Brother "laser jet", unless you have a homebrew FRANKENprinter.
2) Your REAL cost is $18.70/204 = $.09166667 or $.0916 cents per page + your TIME to walk/bus/drive/bicycle around the corner to wait in line at the register, or for order printing, is WASTED. Time = Money
3) The damage to your client's privacy, as stated before is priceless.
4) To answer your ASKED question, on a good high volume laser printer, the cost could be .005/page on up to reasonably .02 or .025 per page. There is great variability in the price of the consumables we use paper/toner/drum and quantity purchased. i do the best I can EACH and EVERY time I make a puchase of supplies and equipment, but don't waste time sweating the small stuff by computing the cost per page. I know what a good buy is.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/13/12 12:12am
Msg #430247

Regardless of the actual cost of per page printing, what about that last minute phone call from the TC telling you a revised HUD is being emailed to you or another attachment is being emailed? Suppose the TC mistakenly emails you the file for Fred Flintstone but the docs should be for Bugs Bunny? You've already transferred the file to a flash drive and you're at the print shop. As docs print, you see the mistake but you've wasted too much time there and you'll be late to the signing, which will put your next signing in jeopardy. NOW what?

Don't waste time, gas, money and create unnecessary headaches for yourself and invest in backup equipment.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/13/12 12:14am
Msg #430248

Yep...what LKT said. n/m

Reply by grapebed on 8/13/12 5:55am
Msg #430254

Thanks for your responses.....

Yes, privacy is crucial and this was a one time only jam that I was in.

I was more interested in members estimated cost per page to print. Thank you all for your responses.
They were thoughtful, professional and much appreciated.

As I predicted, they varied widely. I have seen posts where the member has used a figure of 0.15 cents
per page. Today I have read estimates as low as 1 to 2 cents per page.

I am going to call the manufacturer and try to get a better estimate. If I remember correctly, the estimate provided by the manufacturer was about 5 cents per page plus the cost of paper.

Reply by ArtG/KS on 8/13/12 7:43am
Msg #430256

Re: Thanks for your responses.....

GoldGirl could not of stated it better on the experience of Fedex printing. I arrived to pickup docs there to find only a half hour before the signing (it was about three blocks away) they had not even started printed the docs. My list is long so I won't belabor that here.

Ive seen on printing costs where (Oh I hope this doesnt start a long thread of discourse) some notaries print the original set on legal/letter as prescribed or formatted, and then print the borrower copy set all on letter size. Letter size makes filing a bit more convenient for the borrower, but If you have to trade a page due to a borrower signing error (rare) you might not have the right size to swap with.

Also the original signing set may include all the hand-holding notary directions, while the borrower set would omit the notary directions papes. Yes I know very well the historical discussions about that, but it does save a few pages of printing.

So finally, sourcing paper at low cost and sourcing ink carts that work well, yet at lower costs, is a constant watch list like grocery shopping is.

Reply by Les_CO on 8/13/12 9:42am
Msg #430259

I say that given economy of scale probably no one can print for less than Kinko’s. Yes they do charge for their service, but then again so do I.

Reply by BestFlCloser on 8/13/12 10:18am
Msg #430260

You can get all kinds of deals on paper for about $4.00 per ream average. A good laser printer should use about 38 cents worth of toner to print 100 pages. The cost including toner and paper is about .011 per page. Many of the better laser printers have the drum as part of the toner cartridge, so every time you change the tone, you're using a new drum. You might pay more for the printer, but in the long run, you'll be saving a lot of money.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.