Notary Rotary
Economics question. Local print shop versus Brother Laser
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by grapebed on 8/12/12 1:00pm
Msg #430185

I own a wonderful Brother Laser Jet Dual Tray printer.

Long story short; I got in to a jam and had to use the print shop at the local university just around the corner from me. I emailed them 102 pages of docs and asked for two copies of each. (a combo of letter and legal).

Cost: 8.5 cents per page plus sales tax. The total bill came to $17.34 + $1.36 sales tax= $18.70

They did a great job in less than an hour. I am thinking of utilizing their services more frequently. They made it so simple. I can guess the cost per page of using the Brother printer and my own paper.
Any thoughts from the board? Thanks in advance.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/12/12 1:07pm
Msg #430186

Beware of sending docs to another location without

approval from your hiring entity; Also beware of sending borrowers' private information, including financial information as contained in the 1003, to outside parties.

I would not do this except in case of emergency. I'm offering a service, that offering includes full service, including ME printing onsite without farming it out.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/12/12 3:40pm
Msg #430196

Agree with Linda....and to add

Act like a business by having backup equipment. I own two laser printers and two inkjets (yeah, yeah, I know inkjets are not for loan docs). If I did a tone of loan signing work, I'd buy two more laser printers. When you use a public print shop, the employees there have NO regard for the borrower's confidential info, thus the info is exposed to anyone and everyone. Act like a *business*.

Reply by HSH/WA on 8/12/12 3:45pm
Msg #430197

Re:IMO, Only use outside printer in a pinch for doc security n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/12/12 4:54pm
Msg #430204

I agree with the others about the confidentiality issue. We are constantly hearing about the importance of security and protecting the BOs private information - and our reputations are at stake, when it comes to maintaining that confidentiality. I doubt the young guy/girl at the print shop - who may be making close to minimum wage - will have the same level of concern.

It never hurts to have a back-up plan for printing docs in an emergency, but I wouldn't recommend that as a first line approach. Besides, it's much, much more cost effective to print them yourself. Also, I'm seeing more and more mention in instructions about not emailing any documents - not even to the borrowers themselves. A flash drive is probably a much safer approach and may even be cheaper.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 8/12/12 6:54pm
Msg #430213

"Also, I'm seeing more and more mention in instructions about not emailing any documents - not even to the borrowers themselves."

And yet they emailed the documents to you?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/13/12 3:17am
Msg #430251

Many companies provide secure downloads from a website and don't email docs. Those typically are the ones with that kind of instruction. Otherwise, yeah, it would be pretty hypocritical.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/12/12 8:26pm
Msg #430220

Let me put it like this...if I ever learned that a notary sent my documents by email to a print shop, I would not be a happy camper. If there was a good reason, the notary should put it on another form of media, take it to the print shop and watch the printing take place.

The people in that shop may be careless and any number of situations can arise that will allow a borrower's sensitive information to fall into the hands of a criminal.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.