Notary Rotary
Got a call at 2pm for a signing at 3pm
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by SE12ER on 8/18/12 1:34am
Msg #430903

I am just wondering if most signing are last minute or same day signing. All the calls I got the past two weeks are same day signing. Is this the norm in this industry?

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/18/12 1:48am
Msg #430904

There are many here who will say that it is the norm, or just the way things are... I refuse to believe that. I think a lot of the last minute issues are almost entirely avoidable and the result of laziness, incompetence, indifference or whatever.

That said, it's not unusual to get calls for same day appointments. Personally? I am rarely able to take those because I'm already booked up. This is, however, due to the fact that I'm one of only a few notaries in my area. The companies I like to work with know this of me, and they KNOW to call me at least 2-3 days in advance to get on my calendar. In other words... I've trained them in a way.

In the areas where there is heavy saturation, it's probably much more common to be able to book on short notice because there are more people available.

Anybody that calls me and wants me to handle a loan signing in an hour must not only pay my full fee, but an emergency fee, too.... which is usually about $50.00. If I'm available, I'll take them... but they will pay for it.

I know that there are, rarely, actual emergencies and last-minute changes made. Those are understandable. BUt the majority? Not so much.

My experience is that the later the docs the more problems arise... and the lower the fee the company wants to shell out to get it done.

Reply by bfnotary on 8/19/12 11:52am
Msg #431013

In my area anyways, most of the time, it is due to being cancelled on at last minute by some notaries, whether it be the notaries fault, or the fact they had to cancel due to late docs. Either way, That is the main reason in my area, I get same day calls. I am still kinda towards the bottom, however I am starting to get more companies that call me in advance. Not quite as many last minute ones lately.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/18/12 7:02am
Msg #430907

I received a call yesterday from a TC with a good rep here on Not Rot, but one that I have not yet worked with. Call came in at 4:05 PM and they needed someone ASAP for 4:30 PM closing. They had originally called me for this appointment several days prior but I was already booked. They were calling again now at the last minute because the notary they booked had not opened the TC's email with the docs, had not called the borrower to confirm, and was not answering the phone when TC called - completely incommunicado. TC was in a panic and trying to make other arrangemements for their borrower. I was still already booked and could not help them.

With that said, this is not usually the reason why companies call at the last minute. I agree with Marian that many companies that do this are just plain unorganized and most times those last minute emergency appointments end up being a total PITA and are usually the most difficult to collect payment on. When I was new I would get tons of last minute calls. Now after six years in this biz, I have established a list of great clients and they keep me booked in advance. I have even had to turn down TS several times recently because I am already booked even when they call, and they always call in advance!

One of my regulars did have an emergency yesterday with a closing that was originally assigned to someone else later in the day (I was booked), but one of the borrowers needed to have an emergency medical procedure (a painful condition, but not life-threatening) and they needed to sign ASAP at the hospital because borrower would be in surgery later. That call came in at 9:30 AM and I was at the hospital signing docs an hour later. Since it was my best client I did not charge extra.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/18/12 9:21am
Msg #430918

Not the "norm" but it does happen. Back in the day

when biz was crazy, last minute signings weren't unusual. Now, it still happen now & then when there are glitches that cause delays. It's always up to us whether we accept those or not. Flexibility is a key factor in this biz.

Reply by HisHughness on 8/18/12 10:06am
Msg #430928

You are fresh meat. Most companies know better ...

... than to call those who have been on the grill for a while with such requests, unless it is a genuine emergency.

Reply by snowflake/PA on 8/18/12 11:45am
Msg #430935

Re: Received 3 calls @ 5:00 PM yesterday wanting to close

that night or early today. I declined as I was nursing a severe migraine, but the last minute calls are generall a PITA. One co had only 3 stars and wanted me to travel well outside my territory. Their lack of planning is not an emergency on my part.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.