Notary Rotary
Great App for smartphones!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Frances Kany on 8/5/12 1:49pm
Msg #429416

This app will allow you to take a picture of items such as drivers licenses, document and change them from jpeg to pdf. Sometimes I get to a closing and even though I have asked the borrowers ahead of time to have copies of their drivers licenses for whatever reason they don't. They don't have a copier at their home. So I end up taking pictures of their licenses and the printing them out at home. Sometimes the resolution is not great and numbers can be a little hard to read. With this App the pictures come out really well.

It is called Handy Scanner and cost $3.99. There is an app for IPhones called jobnot that works the same way. A borrower actually turned me on to this app.

It is great!!!

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/5/12 2:04pm
Msg #429418

<<<They don't have a copier at their home. So I end up taking pictures of their licenses and the printing them out at home.>>>

Problem with that is if you have multiple appts or need to drop docs before going home so you can get package in to shipper before the cutoff time, your suggestion won't work. Instead, I would suggest buying a lightweight, portable copier to take only on signings. Leave it in the car and retrieve if necessary. That's worked well for me. This way, you don't have to take the package home to print an ID. Just make the copies on the spot, add to top of stack, and seal package.

Reply by Frances Kany on 8/5/12 2:15pm
Msg #429419

A good thought. Our Fedex hub is only around 10 miles from me and I can usually make it home to print in time but I also have the apps for wireless printing and can send to wireless printers at Fedex and UPS Stores. I am lucky to live and work in place where both of these options are fairly close.

Reply by ananotary on 8/5/12 2:16pm
Msg #429420

I would email it. I live by the KISS process and we do live

In the electronic age.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/5/12 7:40pm
Msg #429435

Re: I would email it. I live by the KISS process and we do live

That is what I do - straight to the recipient of the docs, then I delete while BO is watching.

Reply by ananotary on 8/5/12 11:07pm
Msg #429447

Re: I would email it. I live by the KISS process and we do live

I don't even bother to have the borrowers watch me delete. They have the option to have me photograph their id for email submission to escrow/title/ss and if they give permission I email everything at the end of the day/evening with completion reports, etc. If they do not (has never happened to date) then they can email/fax/forward a copy of their ID. If I advise the borrowers to have a copy of the id and they don't have it at the signing the responsibility falls on them. I report that to escrow/ title or ss. I am not going to email to Walgreens, run home and print or anything else. Who has time for that?????

Reply by cawest/PA on 8/5/12 5:08pm
Msg #429423

I use my Walgreens App ... take the pic, send it to them right away and most of the time get the email withing the hour that it is ready for pick up and so far the BO's all gave me the 17 cents for the picsSmile

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 8/5/12 5:12pm
Msg #429424

I would NOT send it to Walgreen's.

You are breaching the borrowers' right to privacy! Just email it directly to the TC.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/5/12 5:43pm
Msg #429426

I agree Shoshana...wow.. n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/5/12 5:48pm
Msg #429428

Wow is right, Linda

Wirelessly sending IDs to Walgreens, FedEx and even emailing over the very UNSECURED internet?

YIKES!!

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 8/5/12 9:01pm
Msg #429442

And so far the Bos have given me the 17cents for printing! Do you actually ask the BOs for 17 cents? Omg..I would never send the Ids to Walgreens or any other place but the TC! Wow..

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/5/12 11:14pm
Msg #429449

No different than TCs and signing services that email unencrypted loan docs as PDF attachments. Smile

Reply by cawest/PA on 8/6/12 6:58am
Msg #429467

It is amazing how when you just throw something out of the blues on the boards you can always see some jumping on their big horses LOL ... and it works each time ( most of the time I will do when I am really not in a good mood).

Reply by NJDiva on 8/6/12 3:12pm
Msg #429539

"No different than TCs and signing services that email

unencrypted loan docs as PDF attachments."

I absolutely agree with you Marian. However, when I take a picture with my phone, I do it in the presence of the bo, they know how it is being handled and they have chosen to do it that way. I have a handheld scanner that saves to a removable USB thingy and their info can be erased. I give them that as an option or I tell them they're welcome to email or fax it to me if they don't want to take either one of those options (if they had had a copy, we wouldn't have to do it that way. I am VERY clear when we confirm that a copy must go back.)

Reply by NJDiva on 8/6/12 2:31pm
Msg #429524

OMG people please do not

send Government ID's to public places like Fed Ex, UPS and Walgreens.

IN MY OPINION, I find that to be incredibly irresponsible. For one thing, no one EVER better jeopardize my information (especially without my authorization!!) and privacy like that. For another, you should get authorization from the bo before subjecting a persons personal property to anyone other than those involved in the transaction.

Emailing isn't necessarily foolproof safe, but that is so much safer than sending it to a public venue where ANYONE has access to it. Besides that I think printing it is a waste of toner and money. We are told to get a copy and if we are emailing it over, that's good enough, in my opinion. My understanding is that faxing is the safest way because it's encrypted when being faxed.

I am sooooo sorry to call anyone out and I really am NOT doing so, but the newbies need to know it is NOT ok.

Think about it, would you want a copy of your ID sent to any of those places? I've seen the type of people that work there, as have most of us. Um, er, echem, yeah, I say no thanks to that!! (not that there's anything wrong with people that work in those places, but they have not pledged to protect peoples confidentiality like we have-or should have.)

In general, I am SOOO protective over my own identity, I try to do unto others as I'd have done unto me.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/5/12 11:12pm
Msg #429448

I never, ever, ever take a photograph of an ID. It's just creepy and I would never let anyone do that with my ID because, frankly, a lot of people aren't tech savvy enough to protect it. I have a portable photocopier in my car if I need to use it. It doesn't keep a memory, very basic, and it works wonders.

Emailing a photo of an ID isn't anymore secure than sending it for printing at Walgreens or where ever --- especially if you use gmail, yahoo or the like. Email is not secure and files can be intercepted. That's why I've never liked that companies email loan docs... seriously, it is NOT secure.

I also have a portable scanner that I will use, it scans to a file on my laptop, which I can later print, but the file is encrypted and protected by a password and a biometric reader. All of the docs I deal with get the same treatment.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if notaries and signing services are the conduit of a great deal of identity theft issues.... most likely NOT on purpose, of course, but because they don't know what they're doing.

Reply by ananotary on 8/5/12 11:19pm
Msg #429450

How would you prove that "security" feature of your printer if a borrower asked? Just curious. Since you mention it has no memory, etc ?

Reply by ananotary on 8/5/12 11:31pm
Msg #429451

One more question... Since your post said you find photo taking of id "creepy" and the emailing of loan docs in the same category, do you refuse work from Ss/title/escrow companies that email you unencrypted loan docs?

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/5/12 11:33pm
Msg #429452

Because it's a model that doesn't have an internal memory? It's a Canon PC 170 -- basically an "old school" analog copier. IT's the digital ones that have the memory chips.

See: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/copiers_fax_machines/personal_copiers/pc170

Reply by ananotary on 8/5/12 11:39pm
Msg #429453

I don't mean for me. Would you pull up this link at the signing and wait for the borrower to read it and feel comfortable enough for you to copy? How would someone not tech savvy yet concerned about identity theft know this was "old school". Seems like a lot of extra work. Maybe things are done differently in your neck of the woods.....

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/5/12 11:53pm
Msg #429455

I rarely need to use it these days, because most people manage to get the copies themselves. Even still, it's never been an issue... and it's 100% better than taking a photo fo it with my cell phone. Yikes... I still can't believe that people do that.

Reply by ananotary on 8/5/12 11:59pm
Msg #429456

Um, well I do that which is why I asked you if you accept signings when docs are sent unencrypted. Otherwise it seems a bit hypocritical............

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/6/12 12:30am
Msg #429458

Well, I do... but it doesn't mean I like it. I can't control the way others handle the documents entrusted to them, but when they're in my hands, they are encrypted and secured or in my locked briefcase.

Reply by BestFlCloser on 8/6/12 11:24am
Msg #429486

Re: Same Great App for Android phone

I use an app called CamScanner which does the same thing. It scan a doc, then saves it as a PDF file, which you can email to the TC or whatever. You can also download an print as well. BTW, it's free and it works great! Easier than taking a pic, then printing from a jpg.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.