How do you all feel about this...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Susan/CA on 8/14/12 11:34am
Msg #430407

Personal Pet Peeve:

Is it just me, or is it ridiculous for a signing company to hold payment for a signing completed, the loans funded, no mistakes, the signing company has been paid but they say they have not received a confirmation (checked that the signing was completed & signed by the notary)therefore they will not pay you? In my case I did fax this page in within a day or so of the signing, however, they claim I did not. So they send me countless emails requesting I fax in this form so they can pay me. Seriously..??? The job is done, they have been paid. Finally, I simply reprinted a form and faxed it in (nearly 2 months since the signing) because I am afraid I would forget and never get paid. I know each company has it's little rules of which I follow as best as I can and yes occassionally I forget or get too busy to fax in or call in status. (& S.L. will hold your money until you invoice-what do they do if you forget??)However, it is a pet peeve of mine to have a signing company believe they can hold my money for a job performed unless they get a piece of paper saying, yes, I did this...

How do you all feel about this? Is it right for a company to hold your money hostage until you send in a form? I'm annoyed.....

Reply by sueharke on 8/14/12 11:45am
Msg #430411

What did you agree to when you signed up and/or accepted signings from this company? Did you agree to fax a form once the signing was complete?

Other than this, some companies will accept email acknowledgement of the completed signing or online verification of signing completion.

Reply by Susan/CA on 8/14/12 11:49am
Msg #430414

Sue, I don't remember, it's been years. However, I rarely remember agreeing in most contracts that I would fax in or email upon completion or forfeit my fee. I had so many contracts over the last 11 years.

Reply by Lexie on 8/14/12 11:54am
Msg #430416

But(sorry about that) I don't remember what was in what paperwork I signed 9,8 or 7 years ago. I think I have them on file in the back shed in one of the file boxes my husband would like tossed out. But I don't have time to go and search. Ask them to supply you with a copy of the document you signed agreeing to that and then send the form as a registered letter with a mandatory signature and 'printed name'. Then I guess if they don't pay, take them to small claims.

Reply by sueharke on 8/14/12 12:13pm
Msg #430420

Clark Howard, one of my favorite Consumer Advocates, suggests some pieces of paper be kept forever in one place. These include

Any contract you have with active sources of income (the main reason I am posting this message). The rest are for your safety in future years.

The final paid utility bill (all types of utility bills) for every address you live in when you move. These bills may be purchased up to 20 years later by some collection agency. If you don't have the proof you paid the bill, you may have to pay it again.

Paid parking tickets.

Paid fees to a court.

Paid student loan accounts.

Anything that can back to haunt you in later years if you can't prove you paid the bill.

The website is "http://www.clarkhoward.com"

Also, this is a great way to prove a prior address if your name shows up on a states unclaimed property website (and you no longer live at that address- it has happened to me twice in two separate states).

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/14/12 12:44pm
Msg #430424

Most times this form and the instructions are included in

every confirmation sent - IMO if you're going to service the company and get paid by them you need to be willing to comply with their payment requirements.

In cases like this, "In my case I did fax this page in within a day or so of the signing, however, they claim I did not" - I'd simply pull the form AND my transaction report, circle the date and time on the receipt and fax it all to them and request immediate payment. As I've said previously, the time spent arguing is wasted. If you did, if fact, send it, then send it again...5 minutes. Clerical errors do happen.

I realize we're all pressed for time - but if you're going to argue with a company about the terms you did and did not agree with, it might behoof you to go pull the agreement you signed and make sure.

JMHO

Reply by HisHughness on 8/14/12 1:08pm
Msg #430427

I am continually bemused ...

... at the objections raised by signing agents, many of whom should know better, to following standard business practices.

There was recently a thread initiated by an NSA questioning whether she should supply validation documents, including a drivers license, requested by a signing service. And now this, objecting to providing confirmation of completion of an assignment.

We are either independent contractors to title companies or lenders, or subcontractors to signing services. Those who find the requirements to provide validation docs, or closing confirmations, should inspect what is required to bid a contract to install curbs and gutters for a city, or computer services to a private company.

The validation documents from NSAs are requested to make sure you are eligible to perform the work you are being asked to perform. Independent contractor or not, in performing tasks for the principal, you drive, hence the request for a copy of the license. If you are on an assignment, and you are involved in a major accident, any tort lawyer worth his salt is going to sue anybody -- including your principal -- who might offer some chance of recovery. Yes, you and the principal may ultimately prevail, but that job is going to be made easier if you are a licensed driver -- which providing your drivers license is intended to establish.

Objecting to providing a confirmation of closing really boggles my mind. Any large company will have procedures set up for paying its bills. When you fail to provide the document required to trigger payment, it throws a wrench in the works. You may ultimately get paid, but your bill will go to the back of the line, to be dealt with after all those who are correctly plugged into the system.

You're running a business. You need to operate it like a business.

Reply by sueharke on 8/14/12 1:46pm
Msg #430431

Re: I am continually bemused ...

Hugh, I love your answer. I know you have a legal background. As a CPA, I too have to look at what someone agreed to before allowing a tax deduction. I am also the first to send a newbie in any business to the Small Business Development Center (SBDC), a part of the SBA. The SBDC teaches what it takes to run a business. If anyone in this forum has had success with the SBDC, I'd love the feedback, both good and bad, on your experience.

Reply by notary/OR on 8/15/12 2:15pm
Msg #430546

well said Hugh

"You're running a business. You need to operate it like a business"

My thoughts exactly...I assume you are keeping some sort of accounting system for yourself so at the end of the week it should be standard procedure to enter your weeks signing in a spreadsheet (or whatever system you use) and make sure you have billed the necessary parties.

If you get yourself in the habit it becomes routine. You can also keep some sort of reference system (in fact this website makes that very easy for you in signing central!) where you can keep reference notes on companies that you can refer back to in case you forget if you need to bill them.

If I take a job with a new company I always ask in an email after the signing is completed if I need to invoice them...consequently I spend very little time chasing money.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.