Notary Rotary
I have a lowballing company that often emails me offers for
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by NJDiva on 8/24/12 4:27pm
Msg #431884

$65-80 closings. I always send back, I'll do it for $XXX, knowing it's a slim chance that I'll get a response. Well, today I get a response, "okay I'll pay $XXX. This was cancelled and then rescheduled and my usual closer isn't able to do it because he double booked." Huh? Okay.

I live in a one square mile town and the closing was here in my town. So I agree to take it and all of a sudden thought, "you know, I should check them out on NR." Lo and behold it's a 2 1/2 (maybe) star company. I immediately rescinded my acceptance of the closing. And I explained the reason I was sending it back.

Well, he calls me and proceeds to tell me that people don't even give him a chance to explain why there are "a few" bad ratings...how about MOST...lol...and this is as recent as last week???? Really? I cut him off at the pass and tell him most of the bad ratings are because he's a lowballing company. He needs to raise his fee to to the title companies so that he can pay us what we deserve. Why should we give him part of our pay? He says that he's done thousands and thousands and that he pays. I told him, that's not the point, I don't work for lowballing companies. Period.

I didn't say this to HIM, but if it were up to me, I'd like to see his business go to fair paying companies (I could name some very reputable ones but I don't want to leave anyone out...lol). Stop undercutting other companies and pay us our just due. I told him it's a shame that there are notaries that are desperate enough to take those fees, but I'm not one of them. If they want to pay for the paper, toner, auto expenses, tolls, etc., I might consider (???, um..maybe not even) a full edoc refi for $65-80. Otherwise, I just hope that I don't ever get desperate enough to HAVE to.

If we all stand our ground and (no colluding of course) demand our worth, then we wouldn't have the lowlife lowballers trying to get a piece of OUR fee. If you think that's all you're worth...well then...um, er, echem...geesh, I'm actually speechless...how about?, that's a crying shame for you!!!

Besides, I have said on here so many times that if we would all stop working for these companies (getting paid by paypal or any other way is keeping them in business folks) then maybe their business WOULD go to other fair paying companies. No way in hell am I going to talk the talk. I'd much rather walk the walk! He could have offered me $200 by paypal. I don't care WHO out there thinks I'm a fool...I'm not keeping em in business!!!

Reply by Les_CO on 8/24/12 5:43pm
Msg #431888

I for one applaud all notary signing agents with the integrity to not only value their own work, that of their fellow notaries (sometimes their competition) but also have our entire industries well being at heart. We must all do our part to rid this business of those that are dishonest, unskilled, and without scruples. If we don’t we will eventually see 50 attorney states only. Thank you Cheryl for your adherence to ethical values that should be embraced us all. JMO

Reply by MikeC/TX on 8/24/12 7:19pm
Msg #431904

I don't understand the problem here. Are the complaints against him that he is low pay, or slow/no pay?

If he's got a rep for not paying his notaries, then by all means turn it back. But if the only problem is that he low balls (which is what it seems from your message), he agreed to pay your fee, probably because he was desperate to get the job done.

So why turn it back? He agreed to pay what you're asking for this one, and you're not obligating yourself to take additional work from him at lower fees in the future. What am I missing here?

Reply by NJDiva on 8/24/12 9:52pm
Msg #431926

I think I was pretty clear. It's a 2 star company and I

don't care HOW much they pay me, I refuse to keep them in business. It's that simple. I returned the email to prove a point, not really expecting to get an offer. I wasn't really looking for one. It wasn't until I saw the 2 star rating that I turned it back. If that company doesn't get it (any of them) covered then how long do you think that company will be able to continue to live off our fees? It's one thing to be a lowballer (which I have no respect for anyway), but it's quite a different story if it's a lowballer with a 2 star rating.

I do NOT turn back closings. But I also like to get paid and I want to work with respectable, upright companies. After all, you are who you surround yourself with, is what I was always told. You sleep with the dogs and eventually ya get fleas.

Again, I don't care if the company came to my front door with cash; it's principal, ethics and integrity. Shake your head if ya wanna. I didn't come into this world with money and am not taking it with me when I go. However, I'll certainly be able to leave this world knowing I lived by my word and true to who I am. I'd rather die with integrity than a pocket full of cash!

I wish I was as saintly as I'm sounding here! I certainly am NOOOOOOOT!!! There are just some things I am adamant about.

Thank you for your kind words, Les. Being commissioned as Notaries Public, we are sworn to uphold honesty, integrity and ethics. It really is too bad many do not honor what we took an oath to do. If I was perfect, I'd certainly feel justified in passing judgement, but because I'm not, I have no room to go there. It's really difficult when it comes to this topic not to come off sounding self righteous. Sorry if it sounds that way ya'll. I do not think I'm better than. Trust and believe, I am one sick puppy in many other areas of my life...lol no denial here!

Oh well, these are all just my opinions, perceptions and feelings. Maybe someone else will come to realize, like I did, that if we stick together, maybe we could make these two star companies a thing of the past. We don't have to concede. Besides, I got a call for another closing right after I turned it back...go figure...

Reply by NJDiva on 8/24/12 10:41pm
Msg #431931

Mike, I just re-read my first post and I can see the

confusion. I guess I was vacillating back and forth. Oh well, I think I made myself clearer in my last post...lol

Thanks for the inquiry...tee hee

Reply by A S Johnson on 8/25/12 9:54am
Msg #431969

Mike, as another Texas signing agent, I see a problem with you attitude.
1) it was a lowball fee. I'm in Weatherford, midsize to small city, I don't turn the key in my car for less the $75, additional $35 for revieving and printing the docsand if out of Parker Co then travel fees. This is a take or leave it deal.
2) a 2 star ss. Sorry, NO THANKS. I extending the ss credit and I expect to get paid in a reasonable time. I am NOT in the leanding end of this business that who I get documants sign for.

Like last night, I did a "clean up" appointment for escrow, not a ss. The ss had sent a Notary out, she was late because of babysitter problems and had "forgotten" her notary stamp and fee book".

Reply by MikeC/TX on 8/25/12 4:54pm
Msg #432003

I don't think there's a problem with my attitude at all - it was a legitimate question. It was NOT a low-ball fee, he came back and met her number (probably because he was desperate), so I wasn't sure why she wouldn't work with him if the only complaints were that he was a low-baller. Low ball doesn't necessarily mean no pay/slow pay. Without knowing who she was talking about, it's hard to make a judgment so I asked.

I understand her reasons now; I still am not 100% in agreement, but her reasons are her reasons.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 8/25/12 7:00pm
Msg #432021

Cheryl, Just so that I'm clear: If the SS was a 3-star AND agreed to your fee, while at the same time "sticking it to" other notaries here, your sense of ethics would/would not permit?

(fyi, This week, I accepted & completed a signing at a fair fee - NOT a $70-90 lowball, just not my normal - AND it's a 2-star. I was more concerned about the comments themselves. We'll see what happens; but I DID let them know that their reputation would hinge on the performance I see from them. A non-critical (not self-righteous stance) demands SECOND CHANCES when warranted - IMO)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.