Notary Rotary
I'm just not doing rude people any more
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 8/31/12 11:36pm
Msg #432717

If they can't behave themselves before the signing on the telephone, how do you think they'll be at the table...

I had two rude people yesterday and today, and you know what, my new motto is DARE TO LET GO!

Shove it buster. Find someone else to be rude to...no more, nada, kaput, done, over it.

Life is short!

Reply by HSH/WA on 9/1/12 12:00am
Msg #432721

Re: Were they just as bad at the table? n/m

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 9/1/12 7:03am
Msg #432729

Re: Were they just as bad at the table?

Cheryl on occasions I've had the same problem and diffuse it by saying " I'm sorry your having a bad day but it seems your taking it out on me and I'd appreciate it if you would be more civil". Never have I had that person leave the closing but they have apologyzed and calmed down and told me their misery. Try it it does work.

Reply by snowflake/PA on 9/1/12 5:39pm
Msg #432777

Yesterday I had signers who were taking alot of phone calls, texting, whispering to one another and then laughing throughtout the whole signing. Yet, they couldn't grasp what their loan amount was, nor any figures on the HUD. Pay attention, signers. I'm on a schedule. This is a business appt. I shouldn't have to repeat myself a gazillion times because you feel other things are more important. I found their behavior rude.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/1/12 8:10pm
Msg #432792

Wow . . . I cannot see me letting that happen. My signers need to know that I need their COMPLETE attention. May be their home, office, whatever, but while I'm there, it is My Show.

(I really feel for teachers, these days; we now know where the disrespectful behavior emanates from - if there were any doubts)

Reply by jba/fl on 9/1/12 8:17pm
Msg #432794

I don't get many stoners but when I do it becomes a point and sign with a reminder they have 3 days to cancel. The RTC becomes the focal point..sign, sign, sign, then I am gone. I don't process garbage well.

For those who might start to say they shouldn't be signing: when they straighten up they will have signed set and they can cancel if necessary. They have already been through 3-8 mos. of help to get to the table; there is no sense in getting uppity and judgmental with them. Pragmatism rules.

Reply by OR on 9/1/12 9:52pm
Msg #432802

Re: I'm just not doing rude people...

When I was in collage I was taught never to user the phrase "I am doing" or "not doing" when it comes to clients or in this case borrowers". It sounds like bedroom talk. Just my 2 cents.

I hate pot smokers too. I had one take 3 hours to sign non borrowers form. He kept walking out side to get stoned and then he would get lost. Some one would have to go and find him and bring him back to the table to sign the next form. He also tried to use his medical marijuana card to Id himself. He was such a joke.

Reply by CalGal on 9/2/12 12:29am
Msg #432805

And there is the signer with an attitude from the start and says she is going to read everything. She picks a signing location that closes 45 minutes after signing started. Not much time for reading and had such a bad attitude that her daughter even picked up on it!

Reply by LKT/CA on 9/2/12 1:17pm
Msg #432848

<<<And there is the signer with an attitude from the start and says she is going to read everything.>>>

Very easy fix: I'd tell the borrower that it is perfectly fine for her to review the entire loan package, however, the appt will need to be resheduled as I've allowed one hour to witness her SIGN docs and I have a full schedule today. I'd say to her that I will notify the LO/TC that she'd like to review her docs, ***please email or overnight her a set of docs*** and let's set another appt. <Borrower will not keep the docs I printed.> I take out my phone and start calling.....

You have to keep command of the appt and not ever let borrowers overtake the situation. YOU stay in control, otherwise borrower's antics can infringe on your other appts and you'll become angry and burn out very quickly. Keep control of every aspect of your appts!!!

Reply by SERVICIO on 9/2/12 1:40pm
Msg #432849

Wow, I have never come across people this bad, I hope I never do. The worst I had was an attorney who did not like her LO and wanted to read every word! Of course that went really bad because it was my 3rd signing. But Generally the borrowers I get have never heard of this process and Think I am the LO or I work for the Mortgage Company or I am an attorney. They are very reserved and Leery of me. So I have learned to not be too assertive and to respect the fact that they have a lot of fear about having me in their home.

Now, I will tell them they are more than welcome to call their LO, and that I do not have knowledge of the content of the docs. That I am the Notary sent to facilitate the signing. But you are right I should take more initiative in letting them know that I am on a tight schedule and I have to stick to it to respect my other appointments.

The rudest I have received was where the LO did not prepare the docs right and He began dropping the F-bomb.

My signings have been averaging 2 to 2.5hrs. I am on my 100th signing so I am still learning. But have done enough to know the basics.

Reply by ToniK on 9/2/12 2:50pm
Msg #432855

Holy crap!!! 2-2.5hrs per signing and you have done 100 already???

I get antsy when mine take more than 45 mins.

On the OP topic: I've had a BO walk out on me while signing cuz he had to pick up his daughter but spent 30 mins talking to LO about his escrow acct and then complained about he didn't want to be late to pick his daughter up but kept reading the docs before signing. To top it off his wife and him were LOs. Go figure! You would think he would know these docs..

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/2/12 4:39pm
Msg #432860

dropping the F-bomb

That's the height of rudeness/disrespect. I worked with LOs once (briefly, I assure you) that routinely spoke that way. They thought it was perfectly normal. Always talking about compliance issues - completely forgetting legal suit issues on the basis of harassment . . .

It's a sad testament, ladies & gentlemen, to the turn of society's manners when it is considered "uppity" to practice common courtesy and demand that others do so in your presence.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.