Notary Rotary
If your power goes out, and you need to print
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Kathy/NJ on 8/8/12 12:02pm
Msg #429786

quickly (no friends around to use their internet), is your best bet to go to Fedex? With all the crazy weather lately, I'm just wondering what to do. Any idea what it would cost at Fedex?

Reply by notary4az2 on 8/8/12 12:12pm
Msg #429788

Depends on the size of the package. 100 pages can cost you alot at approximately $25 because they will also charge for the computer time.

Reply by ValleyGrl/VA on 8/8/12 12:21pm
Msg #429789

Your best bet for printing at FedEx is to already have your docs on a stick - you can put your jump drive directly into one of their copiers and you print your own sets - I believe .11c per page (letter or legal - same price, but more for color). If you don't have the docs on a jump drive - you can log into the FedEx computer, pull up your docs, save them to your drive and follow the above steps.

Sending your documents to FedEx using their online system is much more costly - I was in a bind recently (last EOM), sent file for printing and using their "online" system cost .23c per copy - OUCH! Two sets - $44! Won't be doing that one again!!

Reply by sueharke on 8/8/12 12:27pm
Msg #429791

We have all our computers, router, modem on battery backup (UPS). It gives me time finish what I am doing on the computer. Hence, there is no reason not to put a printer on a separate UPS to finish printing in a power outage.

We also have other electronics on power backup and surge protection - TV, DirectTV control box, etc for the same reason. If we get an additional hour to finish what we are doing, we're happy.

Reply by Jose Gutierrez on 8/8/12 12:26pm
Msg #429790

If power goes out, I just go downstairs fire up the generator, turn on the hotspot in my cell phone and ready to go.

Reply by walthtz on 8/8/12 12:46pm
Msg #429793

Try staples or office max.
call them, they will give u a price.
Legal cost different than letter.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/8/12 12:47pm
Msg #429794

Generator....

Since I'm a native Cali girl, disaster preparedness is just a part of life, and that includes being prepared for short-term power outages. But also, because my husband uses a breathing machine, we need to have back-up power at all times.

We picked up a portable generator from Harbor Freight during a sale and used a coupon... I think we ended up paying around $300 for it. For us, it is literally a life saver.

For a business owner that relies on tools the need power? It's an essential tool to have around, and is worth the cost.

Reply by Jose Gutierrez on 8/8/12 1:08pm
Msg #429796

Re: Generator....

I paid 1000.00 for mine. It's a honda power inverter and it delivers puresine wave what ever that means but it's good for sensitive equip.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/8/12 1:24pm
Msg #429798

Re: Generator....

Yeah, we intend to get a better one and are saving up for it. We got a nice deal on the one we have now, though.

There's also the idea of having an inverter in your vehicle.

Reply by OR on 8/8/12 1:31pm
Msg #429799

Re: Pick up my lap top, phone, theatering cord and printer.

Walk out to my car (start it up) plug in my printer to my inverter. Turn on my lap top with my phone Internet tethered for Internet service, log on, down load, click print. never leaving the drive way. Best investment I made was a laptop and inverter and phone Internet. Love the generator thing too. I have one of those also. Just me.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/8/12 1:38pm
Msg #429802

In an emergency you can go to Fedex, OfficeMax, Office

Depot, assuming they have power. I have had to forward files using my Android phone. I can't quote the exact price per page, but it wasn't all that bad. I've never had a situation where the cost ran over the $25 print fee I have figured into my fee. Of course, it cuts down on my profit-margin, but there are options in an emergency.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 8/8/12 1:47pm
Msg #429806

To use FedEx to print here in the Phoenix area

is very expensive. A good thing to do is go to the local library and print 10 cents a page. Computer time is free.

Reply by SharonMN on 8/8/12 1:50pm
Msg #429807

FedEx charged me a whopping 80-some dollars to print a normal loan package. And it took 45-some minutes because their printer kept jamming. They said it would have been cheaper to have them print it from a USB drive, but then it took an hour or so. For the "convenience" of instant printing I had to pay the 50 cents a page or whatever it was. Needless to say, I didn't make any money on that signing! Never again.

Reply by NJ_Notary on 8/8/12 2:15pm
Msg #429809

Hi Kathy:

I just had this happen in Southern NJ at the begining of July. Try 8 days without electric (cant believe I didnt committ suicide or go postal lol). It was worse than Hurricane Irene. Here are a few options that you may want to try that us in in SNJ had to use.

1) Are you able to afford to buy a small generator? A 1850 watt will surfice. I know at Tractor Supply a 5500 watt unit will cost approximately $650.00 plus tax so based upon that make a guesstimate of what an adjusted price would be for a lower grade generator.

2) Depening on your vehicle and the adapter purchased, you may consider purchasing an adapted for your vehicle to that plugs into the cigarette outlet and you can then plug the printer cord into the adapter. I know I have one in my car that allows me to use my laser printer that I use on the road. Yes it may put a strain on your vehicle's battery,etc., but you have to make a determination if its worth it - noone here can determine that but you.

3) Yes there is the staples/fedex/ office depot route. Call them and ask the price before you go so you can weigh out if it best to go this route or the two above.

4) Do you know another notary nearby or within driving distance that you may make a deal with to pay them a printing charge to print the docs.

5) Ok, this one may seem less professional to some and I would get permission from the lender/ss/title company first (and explain the situation to them), contact the borrower explain that becuase of weather or the reason the electric is out (as long as its not becuase of lack of paying the electric bill lol - meaning reasons of out your control ) ask the borrower if you may lug your printer to the closing and print the docs on the spot. Years ago I had a situation while I was on the road and my adapter stopped working and it was 10PM and I got a late minute call from one of my regular TCs asking me if I could do a last minute closing that came up. Since all stores that sell the adapter were closed, I asked the TC if I may ask the borrower if can print them on my laser printer at their home. Luckily I had my aircard so I could download the docs I just needed to print them. The TC also had the lender on the phone while they scheduled the apppointment didn't have a problem with it - they were very pleased becuase I was trying any way possible to go above and beyond to get the closing done, making them look good in the borrowers eyes and bottom line get the job done as best as possibe. I spoke with the borrowers who had not a problem with it whatsoever and was also greatful. Anyhow not to go off on a tanget but this is an option to consider.

6) Do you know a local attorney, title company, real estate brokerage firm, or pharmacy that you may contact and ask them if you may utilize their printer and/or electricity to print the documents. If you use their printer I would pay them a fee and supply your own paper. Don't count out a pharmacies becuase all pharmacies use high grade printers, heck even higher grade then we use in our industry ( I do the bookkeeping for an independent and we think we go thru some paper and supplies, wow thats all im going to say. They go thru double what we do). Its becuase of situations like the loss of electricity that its good to make great networking connections so when your in a bind and need a favor whether your paying them or not you can call someone up. I just like networking period for business.

7) Are you able to go to a local Starbuck and plug your printer in and print from there.

You may also need to make an arrangement where ever you print the docs if you can use their internet. I think it helps to have your own printer and just pay them a small charge for electricity if you can, but if you cannot then adjust accordingly. If its in your budget it doesn't hurt to get a smaller laser printer one you can lift and put in the truck of your car or back seat of your truck that you can use mobily if needed.

I am a firm believer that just like atheletes who have to adjust to conditions and unknowns we as business professionals have to as well. The only way we can is thru business systems and plans (systems and plans work better thank hopes and dreams if you ask me) and constructing policy and procedures no matter how large or small our business is.

Ok folks that just a few of my suggestions, curious to see what others say.

Reply by Barbara Taylor on 8/8/12 4:02pm
Msg #429823

Been there -- plugged into my car outlet (converter plug) and kept going -- wifi, laptop, portable printer, hold 250 sheet, AND THAT IS WHY i AM MOBILE

Reply by Notary1/CO on 8/9/12 12:54am
Msg #429834

Battery Backup and Power Inverter

I have a 400W Cobra power inverter in my car that can power a notebook PC, printer/scanner/copier, cell phone charger, TV, electric cooler, etc.

For my home office, I have a 12V deep cycle marine battery connected to a trickle charger so it is always charged. In a power outage, I connect it to a 1200W Vector Maxx power inverter to operate my home office equipment.

I can move the 12V marine battery and power inverter to my car if I need more mobile power. I also have a compact microwave oven that I put in my car during camping trips that will run on the power inverter.

For a longer term power outage, or camping off the grid, I have a portable Yamaha EF1000iS 1000W generator.

Reply by MikeC/KY on 10/30/12 9:14am
Msg #441242

Re: Battery Backup and Power Inverter

Notary1, can you run a laser printer from the 400W power inverter?
I am trying to go mobile (as much as possible) and have been researching this for a couple of weeks now. I have been told and come to the conclusion that you simply cannot run a laser printer in your car using a power inverter or a UPS battery back-up. Not wanting to spend any unnecessary cash, I have not purchased either one.

What type of printer are you operating on your car power inverter?

Reply by anotaryinva on 8/9/12 5:38am
Msg #429844

Staples via ECPurchasing

Has deeply discounted printing-
https://www.ecpurchasing.com/Uploads/Files/Content/StaplesCopyAndPrint.pdf

I've never had to use it but it's nice to know its available. I've been tempted at eom to
try this on the road finding a staples close to the Bo rather than returning home to print.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 8/9/12 9:16am
Msg #429858

Last outage I made use of Staples wifi and printing

Hadn't had time to put the docs on a flash drive, but called and the closest Staples had power. Took my laptop and was able to connect to their store hotspot to get to my email to download the docs to my flash drive. Since the store wasn't that busy, copy center staff (helps to already have good relationship with them) offered to print the docs for me using my flash drive rather than emailing to their store account. In and out within 20 (including login and transfer) and all under $25--for two sets.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.