Notary Rotary
Invention Drawing "Notarization"
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Art_PA on 8/13/12 12:28pm
Msg #430290

Inventor wants to have drawings of invention "notarized" I believe it is to establish that these of of his invention to protect his intellectual property and that this process would be similar to certifying a copy, although here the originals would be "certified" as of today.

Has anyone had experience with certifying this type of document?

Reply by panotary1 on 8/13/12 12:36pm
Msg #430291

I have acknowledged patent applications before as well as done certified copies for said application. However, maybe your client is looking for a sworn verification, in which you must administer an oath and the customer signs a statement to the truth and accuracy of the drawing as his own intellectual property. If you can, check out Verfications in your state code.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 8/13/12 12:46pm
Msg #430292

The point would be to verify that the drawing existed on a certain date. So it wouldn't really matter which notarial act was done; an oath, an affirmation, or a copy certification would all get the job done.

A big computer company I used to work for had a different approach, which wouldn't work for the solo inventor. Whenever a technical professional had an idea a page in his/her technical notebook might someday be used to support a patent, he/she would ask two other technical professionals from the same company to witness the page. The witnesses would sign a statement (which was pre-printed on every page) that they read and understood the page. There was no notarization.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/13/12 1:22pm
Msg #430299

This type of issue will soon change. The old way will respect this IP documentation in lab books and on paper until March...the new way will be First to File.

"the first-to-file provision will apply to patent applications with an effective filing date of March 16, 2013, or later." see link for a laymen's explanation.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1822846/untangling-real-meaning-first-file-patents

It's hard to get this across after a zillion years of doing things by documentation. Everything that I do in my day job relates almost exclusively to research and invention. Just attended training on this the other day.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/13/12 1:29pm
Msg #430307

Yes, I've had a situation like that. The guy wanted

the drawings (schematics) notarized before submitting to a gov. agency. He had a patent pending, but needed verification that the drawings belonged to him. It was unusual, but was his only protection in this situation.

Reply by ArtG/KS on 8/13/12 5:22pm
Msg #430341

Check your state's notary laws. I am not sure if this is still the case, but a few years ago PA notaries could certifity an event. I know in KS and most other states we cannot do that. Short that, I hope a good patent attorney is involved to protect all involved in that.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.