Notary Rotary
It just keeps getting better - LOL
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Barb25 on 8/31/12 9:01pm
Msg #432701

This was a very busy week for me as it was for may I would imagine. Added to that the late docs and whatever. In my case more than ever during my career of loan signings, most of them took nearly 2 hours for one reason or another.

Tonight was the highlight of the week. Docs were late. Of course. Borrower changed the location of the signing. Additional 17 miles RT. Okay. Whatever. I arrive at the "hotel" room with one chair and two lovely "screaming" children. They literally screamed for the whole (you guessed it) two hours. I took the chair because I knew it was going to be a long ordeal even before I knew it was going to be 2 hours.

There were 24 notarizations. Yes, affidavits and/or acknowledgements 24. Now, I don't know if anyone has ever had that many in a single signing but for me in 12 years NEVER. Unbelievable. Then theree is a NOTICE! (for me) A notary affidavit (obviously not be notarized==only because I cannot, I am sure) where I am supposed to filll in borrowers info stating that I saw their original ID up-close-and-personal and that the signature matches the signature on the documents signed and then I have to name and date each and every document...Are you kidding me? One for each borrower... I filled out a form for each borrower put the date. All the other info and did NOT list 24 documents. Then the next document was the Identification Verification Form. Typical... No problem. Of course, I also had to get a photocopy of the Drivers License. And additionally somewhere in the package was the Lenders Patriot Act ID form. We did not however have to notarize them signing the HUD...a miracle to be sure.

While all of this was happening the children were screaming at a pitch that made me keep checking the windows because I was sure they were about to break. I know my head was pounding.

But it is over now. And I left there laughing. A breakdown? And I better not hear about not listing the 24 documents on that dumb paper...twice. If only I could have charged the $10 per notarization allow by Florida for the signing. But we all know I did not get that. Don't we?

Anyhow one might think I might come home and have a nice glass of wine but I assure you I needed something just a little stronger. And now I not laughing, just smiling. There is afterall a full moon over Brooksville this evening.

Reply by DaveCA/CA on 8/31/12 9:11pm
Msg #432705

Wow. So sorry. Yes, been my case too. A lot of the homes I have been to lately have not had the air conditioner on when it's mid 90's out. Some even have the windows open. I'm thinking of changing my confirmation call to something like: Hi, i'm dave and I'm going to be meeting with you to sign your docs. Do you have a dining room table that is at least 3 feet high with standard chairs around it where we can sit? (In other words, I do not want to sit on your couch hunched over the coffee table) By the way, the table needs to be cleared off and wiped down twice. I'm not allowed to get maple syrup and the like on these docs. Also, the thermostat needs to be set at no more than 78 degrees and hour before I get there. Docs will catch fire if it's too hot. If not, let's meet at Starbucks.

Reply by Barb25 on 8/31/12 9:16pm
Msg #432707

Dave,

So sorry but LMAO... You just have to keep a sense of humor. Right?

Reply by DaveCA/CA on 8/31/12 9:38pm
Msg #432711

Don't read if snacking or eating something right now

Yes you do have to have a sense of humor. Let me tell you though. I had a signing a couple of weeks ago when it was over 100. I get there and the air is not on and I'm dying. They've got the chairs with the plastic film on them. The borrower is sitting between me and a wall unit air conditioner. That wasn't the worse part though. I'm thinking, during the signing, please turn on the air conditioner. As my bad luck would have it, he got up without me complaining or anything (his wife told him to turn it on) and turned on wall unit. Wheww, very nice. That is, until he decides to start ripping out farts one after another. Oh my, the wall unit blew it right at me. I could not get out of there fast enough. I'll take the heat over that any day. Ughhh.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/31/12 11:57pm
Msg #432720

Re: Don't read if snacking or eating something right now

Dave, hilarious. Well, you gotta fight farts with farts...get a personal fan and blow the foul purple clouds right back at em.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/31/12 11:54pm
Msg #432719

I'm with you Dave. I'm not showing up unless the dogs are in the garage or out in the yard, I don't care how much they scratch the door and rip the screens. My sanity is more important than the damned dogs. How about a place to sign where there is HELLO? light, so we don't miss any sigs or initials. Deal won't close if we miss important signatures and initial everywhere we're supposed to...Cell phone ringing constantly? Shoot, you got VM, right..they will either call back or leave a message. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE...gotta get these docs right back out to escrow so they can scan to lender and get BACK IN LINE TO FUND. People are completely out to lunch about the process.

I call five minutes out ahead of my arrival, do you have your DL's copied for me, are all signers present? An hour ahead, I made sure they are aware of cash to close or that they are getting money out, how do they want to receive it. It gets them into the groove. It will only take 30 to 40 minutes, then I'll be on my way to my next signing, I can't be late because I have a full evening of appointments. Both parties are not there? I'll reschedule you, please call me when you're both in attendance.

Believe it or not, people forget we're coming, they're at work, gotta pull them out of the cubicle to get home and sign documents.

It's endless.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 8/31/12 9:59pm
Msg #432712

crazy!! I've had several 20-22 notarizations. barking dogs,

screaming kids, greasy food and fingers. thank God, no f--ts as Dave described Smile

I'm more and more loving the overnight docs that miraculously have way fewer pages...imagine that.

Did a loan for a Wells underwriter a while back who said over half the docs in the package were un-necessary! "Wow, really, is that so?" I smiled and said.
(uh, duh....I thought.)

Listing all the notarized docs? radicilus! or as Linda H says: sheeples Smile

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/31/12 10:47pm
Msg #432715

Re: crazy!! I've had several 20-22 notarizations. barking dogs,

Ya know, we are only human and sometimes we have to bend the rules in circumstances like this. In the few times I've been in situations like this, I take a sec to evaluate the position I've been put in. Do I sit here and try to get this entire loan accomplished in this horrid environment AND do I let the borrowers sit through which seems like eternity watch me fill out all this STUFF? No, I'm not doing it to them or myself. I have them sign and I sign and stamp in front of them, leaving the certs to fill in, the ID stuff for later. Come on, admit it people, is it worth sitting there doing all this stuff in front of them? Get done what you absolutely have to and get the heck out. Go home, go to a coffee shop, go to McD's, go somewhere else and fill out the rest of the stuff in peace, then drop the pkg and be done with it. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, it makes happy borrowers and happy notaries.

Reply by Karla/OR on 9/1/12 3:22am
Msg #432723

LOVED your humor, sorry for the troubles! n/m

Reply by bfnotary on 9/1/12 7:51pm
Msg #432791

Re: crazy!! I've had several 20-22 notarizations. barking dogs,

I have to agree with that. I had one once that had 20 notarizations. I always stamp docs in front of borrowers, however, Depending on when I get docs, I may sometimes, fill in all the notary acks before or after signings. It takes a lot of time in some of these packets.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/3/12 12:13pm
Msg #432916

In Peace . . . and happy (sane) notaries

AMEN!!

There really ought to be more "grandmothers" in the neighborhood or some kind person that can be called upon and trusted to look after things for a little while during important Business.

I wonder what Judge Judy would say if she had a courtroom of unruly kids, dogs, cell phones, pagers and distracted litigants . . . oh, no, we all KNOW THAT would NEVER happen (:

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 9/3/12 12:18pm
Msg #432917

In Peace . . . and happy (sane) notaries - Sorry - n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.