Notary Rotary
Just getting started.
Notary Discussion History

Just getting started.
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by James Gamblain on 8/9/12 8:00pm
Msg #429948

Just getting started.

Hey folks, I am just getting started as a mobile notary/signing agent and I have a few questions.
1. What is a standard fee for loan signings? Do I have to accept the amount the signing service offers?
2. What do you charge for mileage. (I've been asking .55 a mile after the first 25 miles)
3.Can/should I charge for additional pages? and if so what is a fair going rate? I just did a signing that turned out to be 139 pages legal size, and am only getting paid 70.00(Thats if they pay me at all, just saw some of the services reviews)
4. What is a good amount of E/O coverage to carry, What is it actually for? and where do I get it?
5. Is it good form to ask the signing service to let me call them right back so I can check their reviews? (Two of the signings I have completed are from companies I have now found to be less then reputable going by their reviews.)
I am sure I will come up with more questions but this will do for a start.
Thanks.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/9/12 8:08pm
Msg #429949

Are you an attorney??
Georgia is an attorney only state. Notaries are not allowed to do loan signings unless they are an attorney.

Reply by James Gamblain on 8/9/12 8:25pm
Msg #429953

No I am not an attorney, And yes I reall am from GA. The young lady that got me started down this road is a paralegal. I am just presenting the loan applications for signing. The only documents that I notarize are the identification affidavits. I have also done one auto title loan in which I presented a check to the borrower. I did a sale closing last night where again the only documents I notarized were the id affidavits.

Reply by lindetteh_PA on 8/9/12 8:31pm
Msg #429955

James are you saying you had a 139 page loan application? I'm pretty sure you are breaking the law and no amount of E&O or liability insurance will cover you if you get caught.

Reply by James Gamblain on 8/9/12 8:36pm
Msg #429960

Ok, Next question. What alw am I breaking?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/9/12 8:37pm
Msg #429961

Re: Just getting started.....search here

use keywords "Georgia Attorney only" or "GA attorney only"

Reply by lindetteh_PA on 8/9/12 8:46pm
Msg #429963

I can only go on my own experiences but I have never seen a 139 page application and there are usually no id affs or anything else that needs notarizaton. Sounds like a regular signing to me (imo) and if so it is illegal to close real estate loans in your state (GA) if you are not an attorney.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/9/12 8:48pm
Msg #429965

I've done one that big..was 150 pages..was for a

reverse mortgage and included all the information material for the senior borrower - the actual app to be returned was about 50 pages. And again, I've *never* had ID affidavits in app signings. Doesn't mean they don't exist - but I've never had one in 6 years of signings.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/9/12 8:10pm
Msg #429950

I have two questions first...are you really from GA?

and are you an attorney?

Reply by James Gamblain on 8/9/12 8:28pm
Msg #429954

Re: I have two questions first...are you really from GA?

Yes I really am from GA and no I am not an attorney

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/9/12 8:34pm
Msg #429957

notary in GA where real estate is involved. There must be an attorney involved in the process. Auto loans are another thing altogether. I think you can do the RESPA's (depending on your state mortgage loan originator laws) but I've never done a RESPA that contained any ID affidavits. RESPA's (loan application signings) normally don't require any notarizations at all.

You did a sale closing with only ID affidavits? Where was the Deed?

Technically, under the restrictive laws in Georgia, the only thing you can charge for is your notarizations and mileage/travel. You can't charge a signing fee, per se, because you can't conduct signings. You said you did a 139 page signing - that's normally not an application - apps are usually only about 50-60 pages.

If I were you I'd tread very carefully in what I do - your paralegal friend was wrong to lead you down this road and your paralegal friend should have known it was illegal for non-attorneys to close property transactions in Georgia.

JMO

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/9/12 8:36pm
Msg #429959

Lost the first part of my post and forget what I said

but I think you get the drift -

Reply by James Gamblain on 8/9/12 8:44pm
Msg #429962

Does that apply to properties that are out of state? The two applications were for properties in VA and TX. Again these were applications not closings. The 130 plus page application was for the property in VA. Shouldn't the signing services be aware of this stuff before they call me to present these applications?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/9/12 8:49pm
Msg #429966

Yes they should know...but it's more up to YOU to know

You may be okay with just the apps....not really sure...and I'm not positive about out-of-state properties.

You need to check your state laws, both notary and general code/statute - google Georgia Attorney Only - you'll find a wealth of links and info.

It's homework time....

Reply by MW/VA on 8/10/12 8:17am
Msg #429991

I think Linda has covered it pretty well. This "paralegal"

person who got you involved in this obviously thinks there are ways to skirt the GA law. I'd be very careful about that. I'm not sure if it applies only to GA properties, but GA is definitely an "Attorney only" state for all transactions involving real estate.
Applications don't contain any notarizations.

Reply by lindetteh_PA on 8/9/12 8:55pm
Msg #429967

SS don't always know the laws that govern their State much less all States, so you really don't want to take their word for it. It is best that you familiarize yourself with GA. laws. Keep in mind you are acting as an independent contractor, which means the buck starts and stops with you and the SS will throw you under the bus before they admit to any wrong doing.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/10/12 1:21am
Msg #429984

James, since everyone else has addressed the Georgia/Attorney only question, I won't go there. But if you do end up doing something with your notary commission where you are, I believe you need to take another approach to information gathering and adjust your perspective of what it means to be in business for yourself.

You've just asked a whole slew of questions to a bunch of people who are busy running their own businesses and others who are, like you, just getting started and probably don't know much more than you do. Normally, when someone starts a service business, they hire an expert to consult with them (or a coach or trainer), or go to school to get the kinds of answers you're looking for. They don't go to people who could be their competition, for all they know. And I would certainly hope they would do their homework first - something you clearly haven't done. Wink (If you had, you wouldn't need to ask.)

No one here has the time to go through all your questions and give you answers that would be of any use to you. Nor do they have any incentive to do so. HOWEVER, the good news for you is that virtually everything you have asked has been asked here before by other new people - many, many times. And the owners of this site are kind enough to maintain archives of what I believe may be the entire history of this board, which goes back more than 8 years that I know of. So if you go to the first page of this forum, at the top you'll see an orange "search" button that will become your best friend - that, and the blue tab at the top that says "Signing Central". The information that's contained just in those two places is literally worth thousands of dollars in consulting fees. And you can have access to it, just for making the effort!

As you may have guessed, this post is at least as much for the benefit of the next newcomer to this site as it is for you - if they will only make the effort to find it...

Reply by NJDiva on 8/10/12 2:24pm
Msg #430030

Janet, I wish I was ALWAYS as gracious and professional

as you ALWAYS seem to be...lol...at least in my eyes. I feel like I'm your biggest fan, so I'm biased.

We are so very lucky to have this forum. We've all been in the shoes of a newcomer to the board. So welcome. But as you've probably already gathered and been told, not many people (there are SOME, I suppose) are going to actually take the time to reveal what they had to work so hard to attain through pure dedication, persistence and diligence.

The most difficult thing in this business (if it's something that's even an option for you legally) is learning to discern whether the information you are being presented is credible. Also keep in mind, that most people share according to their experience with their states statutes and laws. It's important to confirm any info or advice given on this and all other sites.

Usually if multiple people are saying the same thing, it may be information to consider. I trust, appreciate and admire many of the long timers (and newbies too) on this site. I've learned SOOOO much and continue to every day. It never ceases to amaze me...lol. The best thing is that people genuinely want to help. They're not going to hold people's hands but I can assure you, they will go above and beyond for anyone willing to "help themselves." Self entitlement has no place here. We've all worked hard to get to where we are. I had to learn the hard way. I didn't know anything about this site for the first four or so years I was in the biz. I was blessed with a great mentor.

Most importantly be prepared to be patient. In my experience, this business is not a get-rich-quick type of business. Some for-profit educational agency's that claim to have our best interest and are "fighting for us" will try and PROFESS that it is (and be very careful, even the info they provide is incorrect), but IMO, it takes a while to get well established with a steady, consistent, viable income.

Do not underestimate your services. If you want to build a business, don't undercut so much that you're actually working at a loss. It happens a lot and the end result is you're losing money and may as well pay the company to hire you...lol Don't waste your time.

People don't realize when they do that, they are totally discrediting themselves, and damaging this whole industry.

Wishing you all the best in whatever your journey is.

Reply by bfnotary on 8/10/12 10:59pm
Msg #430081

Re: Janet, I wish I was ALWAYS as gracious and professional

I have to agree, and this coming from a semi newbie. I have finally hit my 1 yr mark as a notary in July, And November will be the one year anniversary of my first signing. I have done a couple hundred or so now. And my biggest help was researching, studying, marketing, calling,emailing, and signing up. Countless hours.. Oh and triple checking my work (which I still do most times). I want to make sure I have absolutely no Errors, whatsoever. You never know, on a really busy day, it could be really easy to miss and initial, or date. So I always check while at borrowers homes. It only takes like 3 additional minutes, to save me from having to go back out at my expense. When I get a good title company to call me, I would like to keep them. I have so far been successful.

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/10/12 2:08pm
Msg #430028

Hi James~ Last evening I was on the Oregon Bar Association site looking for some info for a project I am working on. On one page I found a list of individuals that were being sued by the Bar for acting in an attorney roll (and a copy of the actual pleading). I get what you said about not giving out info that would get you in hot water, but I'll bet these people thought the same thing, and look where it got them. I find it hard to believe you want to find your name plastered all over a page like that! I would very closely pay attention to the responses here on Not/Rot.

Reply by NJDiva on 8/10/12 2:26pm
Msg #430032

Amen Karla!!! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.