Notary Rotary
Let's go to another "ethical" situation
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by jba/fl on 8/19/12 5:09pm
Msg #431055

I am called by SS wanting my services. Arrangements made, confirmation arrives. Whoa - confirmation states that if there are questions or difficulties - call the TC. Nowhere does it say the SS wants to be contacted from here on out.

What is the true value of the SS in this situation.? They gave me instructions on how all should be done, but then appear to have washed their hands of all further contact until check time. . . interesting. What do they really do?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/19/12 5:14pm
Msg #431057

I have one that does that too

contracts me, then all future correspondence is with title

I still get my fee so it doesn't really bother me.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 8/19/12 5:18pm
Msg #431059

Ditto Linda, and I personally prefer it

If there are any questions, I have the correct answer much faster.

Reply by ananotary on 8/19/12 5:19pm
Msg #431060

I don't see this as an ethical question. You received the

Business from the ss. I don't disagree that they seem to get off easy but I actually prefer contact with title directly. I hate all the middle person communication.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/19/12 5:44pm
Msg #431064

Poor choice of words probably....

I do like it better for all the reasons stated, but it does seem they don't really do much. Perhaps they are the "confident business" that doesn't moan about the giving of business cards. Everything else I really like: their confirmation is one page, all info concisely in view, no 3 color spread, no all caps screeching about not wearing flip flops, tank tops and cigarettes in your mouth, ad nauseum. I am respected....yea!

Reply by sueharke on 8/19/12 5:20pm
Msg #431061

I agree this is really weird. Maybe the SS has had problems with the TC in the past and do not want to handle the same issues again. Is there a way you can checkout the title company for "ethics" problems they have?

Reply by Robert Williams on 8/19/12 6:47pm
Msg #431066

I'd rather deal directly with title if any questions arise. Why go thru the SS and insert a third cog in the matter? THe SS gets paid to locate and schedule the notary, and I'm fine with that.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/19/12 6:57pm
Msg #431069

I can relate to the point you're making here, Julie. I have

a couple of ss that only seem to function as schedulers. While I'd rather deal directly with the tc because there's already too many gliches in the communciation cycle, I also wonder just what it is the ss is making their cut of my fee on. My usual guess is that the people in these ss have some friend or relative at the tc, and have figured a way to get a slice of the pie.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/19/12 7:53pm
Msg #431081

I really posted as a compare/contrast with

the companies who don't want us to talk to anyone, give anyone our cards, etc. A post on the fly: quick peek, quick comment, rush off. Check back, see bad wording.....etc. Not as a comment about anyone in particular as there are a few that do this - nothing meant to be negative and/or disparaging. I forget not everyone can read my mind and the nuances are not always apparent.

OMG -I am human after all.!

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 8/19/12 8:29pm
Msg #431084

Julianna, Why is this an ethical question?

Think of it this way: escrow has been working on the file for months (most of the time when it is time to close) and the SS has only had to locate and assign the file to someone for signing. Escrow is in a much better position to answer a question specific to the transaction itself.

We have lenders that insist that if a question comes up at the signing table they are to be called first at all the numbers we have for them to get the correct answer. We also have escrow officers that want to be contacted directly and immediately if a question arises at the signing table.

I hope you will understand if I fail to address "What is the true value of the SS in this situation.?"

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.