Notary Rotary
Mobile Printing Question
Notary Discussion History

Mobile Printing Question
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by SAmobile/TX on 8/13/12 10:33am
Msg #430261

Mobile Printing Question

In the process of installing a laser printer in my vehicle for mobile printing. Trying to figure out how to keep the printer cool enough to operate during summer months? I have 4 different laser printers and none have an operating temperature above 95 degrees F. Also none have a non-operating temperature above 104 degrees F. Texas summers can be pretty brutal, anything below 100 degrees is considered “cool”. Interested in knowing how others have addressed this problem. TIA.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 8/13/12 10:45am
Msg #430264

Well the engine has to be running when using the printer so I have the air blasting to cool down car. As for leaving it in the car closed up in the heat? I've either parked the car under a tree with windows cracked or removed it from the car, which is something I did over the weekends. Otherwise during the week it survived.

Reply by SAmobile/TX on 8/13/12 10:49am
Msg #430265

Thanks for sharing Ilene, this was helpful.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/13/12 11:14am
Msg #430268

There is really no problem. As Ilene stated, you have to have the engine on when printing, so just run the air. Be sure that you cover the printer with something so direct sunlight won't shine on it when you are not using the printer. I would suggest one of those silver windshield protectors to cover it with.

Heat can kill electronics, but it will take 250 degrees or even higher to damage the electronics. The plastic in the printer will warp first .That's why I cover it up. Think about this: All modern cars have ECMs, or computers that operate the car. Most of them are mounted on the firewall inside the engine compartment. They last for many years. How about the radio in your car? No problem. Just keep it out of direct sunlight, even in the winter months.

Living and working in the California desert, you learn to use a windshield protector when parking and cover things up in the car to avoid direct sunlight .. even with tinted windows.

Reply by SAmobile/TX on 8/13/12 11:33am
Msg #430271

Great advice Glenn! Thank you, never thought about covering the printer up.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 8/13/12 11:32am
Msg #430270

Bring your printer inside in the a/c

Nightly, and when you spend long periods of time inside during the day.
I know of a network member who melted one bad enough that the printer was kaput.
Plus, windows down and car in shaded area when parked.

Reply by SAmobile/TX on 8/13/12 11:36am
Msg #430272

Re: Bring your printer inside in the a/c

I was wondering if that had happened to anyone. Will definitely be bringing the printer inside. Thank you!

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/13/12 1:18pm
Msg #430297

Re: Bring your printer inside in the a/c

He melted it because it was in direct sunlight, I'll bet. Ask him if he covered the printer. When I was full mobile, I left my printer in the car for months at a time, never had an issue, even in summer temps of 110-115. But you have to cover it up!! I have seen people melt the plastic knobs in their car when they didn't use a shield and let the direct sunlight hit the dash ......

Reply by CH2inCA on 8/13/12 11:47am
Msg #430274

I've wondered the same thing myself, not so much the printer itself but the toner!
Wondered if it was detremental to the toner.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/13/12 1:22pm
Msg #430298

I was using a Brother printer without incident. Their toner requires a lower temperature than HP, so if you are using an HP, I would think that you have even less of a chance a problem. I don't know the exact temp that is required in a printer to fuse the toner to the printer, however, I think it's north of 200 degrees. Crack the windows, cover the printer when not in use, should not have an issue.

Reply by Aredubb/CA on 8/14/12 12:43pm
Msg #430423

I, too, have a Brother 2240 for mobile work. Mine will fit inside a soft-sided insulated "ice chest." For really hot days I'll put a couple of "blue ice" refreeze-able packages inside the chest.

My toner box says to keep the toner out of the sun, between the temps of -4 F and 104 F, oh and keep in an upright position.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.