Notary Rotary
Need "black" stamp ink...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Susan/CA on 8/18/12 9:34am
Msg #430919

Do any of you know which ink (used to refill stamps) actually comes out "black" vs "grey?" I have tried several over the years and none of them end up black when I stamp. I have tried them from here & the NNA. I was thinking of trying an Office Depot or Staples brand. Any suggestions or thoughts?

TIA! Big Smile
Susan

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/18/12 9:47am
Msg #430922

You need to 'match' brand names of stamp & ink

is what I've always understood.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/18/12 9:51am
Msg #430924

Interesting - I've never had a stamp come out grey

as opposed to black unless it was running low or the surface I stamp on compromises it. If not what Les said, could it be you're not pressing hard enough or on an uneven surface?

Just a thought.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/18/12 9:51am
Msg #430925

Oops...Lee... n/m

Reply by janCA on 8/18/12 1:32pm
Msg #430948

I don't know about all stamps but the one I purchased from NR, which is a brother, HAS to have the brother ink. It is an oil-based ink and any other kind will ruin the stamp. Also, after you refill, you have to place it under a light or in a warm place for the ink to spread on the stamp.

This was a lesson I learned just a few weeks ago when my stamp went almost completely dry. I called NR, spoke with Tracy and they are on the ball. She told me to look at the stores around my area, which I did, but to no avail, no one carried this specific ink. I had to have it overnighted from NR. A costly lesson, to say the least. The ink was no big deal, but the courier, Fed Ex, was horrendous.

Reply by Jack/AL on 8/18/12 3:41pm
Msg #430968

Some inks dry up in the stamp pad within weeks, while some soak through paper as soon as the stamp hits. One ink I bought at a Staples or Office Depot soaked through the document faster than I could turn over the page to look at the backside. I went to a local printing company (while also makes and sells rubber stamps). I told the clerk my problem and she sold me a two-ounce bottle of MAXUM Premium Quality Stamp Ink. It does not penetrate pages. After two years, or longer, I still have most of the original amount. I think the cost was only $4 or $5.

Reply by Susan/CA on 8/18/12 9:55pm
Msg #430992

Yes, my stamp comes out in grey or very, very light black if you will. It is not black by any means and not at all the same dark black color that I used to get the first year or so after purchasing the stamp. I did try buying and using the ink that is supposed to be for that particular stamp, but no luck. So I tried a different brand, same issue. I like the Maxium idea. I will look it up online. Thank you all!

Susan

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.