Notary Rotary
New to Notary business.....general questions
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Rhonda Mullins on 8/17/12 2:20pm
Msg #430846

Hello! I am just getting started in the notary signing agent and I feel a little lost. I would love some feedback from you guys about the business in general.

I was told by the lady that did my loan a month ago (that is how I got interested in this field) that she had a LOT of appointments after hours and on weekends. Is that true for most of you? If you only accept jobs for business hours, will you get blacklisted in any way??

I noticed in the forums that a lot of you have been turning down assignments due to client wanting to pay lower fees. If you turn these jobs down....will you get fewer calls for other jobs?

Do you have any recommendations on how I can figure out what to charge? Do I just set a flat fee or should I have a base pay plus mileage, plus printing fees, etc.?

Thank you in advance for any advise you can offer!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/17/12 2:26pm
Msg #430847

Search using keyword "Newbie" & read Msg #33325 n/m

Reply by Rhonda Mullins on 8/17/12 2:40pm
Msg #430851

Re: Search using keyword "Newbie" & read Msg #33325

WOW!! Great information, thank you so much!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/17/12 3:01pm
Msg #430857

Heh..well, if that was a sincere thank you, then you're

welcome

If on the other hand it was sarcastic (which I do believe it was) - all your questions have been asked and answered here over the past years...and 33325 is a great starting reference point. You need to be able to do your own research.

If you don't like those suggestions, then my next best couple would be (a) don't bite the hands that are willing to feed you, even a little bit; and (b) why not ask the one who turned you on to this line of work a month ago??

Good luck to you.

Reply by Rhonda Mullins on 8/17/12 4:12pm
Msg #430860

Re: Heh..well, if that was a sincere thank you, then you're

Oh man, looks like we got off on the wrong foot. I sincerely apologize if you thought I was being sarcastic, I assure you I wasn't. I have been reading the post you suggested and am getting some really good information. I really do appreciate the response and it was a sincere thank you! Sorry if it came across as anything else.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/17/12 4:33pm
Msg #430863

Okay... and I sincerely apologize to you Rhonda and

retract all my snarky comments .... Smile

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 8/17/12 4:43pm
Msg #430864

Rhonda - Since I have a full-time job in the banking

industry, I do loan signing in the evenings and weekends.
I also do General Notary Work.
I do schedule and complete many evening and weekend signings.
Since you are new to the industry, I highly recommend that you read previous postings.
Linda gave you a great message to start off with. It is easy to search for specific topics.
Good luck and do some serious research.
Stephanie
Sorry for any typos.

Reply by anotaryinva on 8/17/12 8:11pm
Msg #430881

Make sure to get your bond n/m

Reply by CJ on 8/17/12 11:23pm
Msg #430898

Dear Rhonda, you did not get off on the wrong foot . . .

This is a tough crowd. People here are not in a hurry to divulge helpful hints to future competition. I recommend you read NotaryRotary every day. You will learn how to solve problems that come up, and you will see that, technically, they were nice to you today. Smile

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/18/12 7:16am
Msg #430908

You're right CJ...my snarky comment was a knee-jerk

reaction as a result of the recent daily influx of "here's my platter, fill it" posts that we've had.

I DID misinterpret her post, and for that I am sorry and still apologize for being as snippy as I was.

I will try to be a good girl in the future.. Smile

Reply by Rhonda Mullins on 8/18/12 7:51am
Msg #430912

No apology necessary

After reading the message that Linda suggested, I totally get why her or anyone else on her would jump on me. I should have done some more digging first. Smile

Reply by MW/VA on 8/18/12 1:23pm
Msg #430947

You've got a great attitude, Rhonda. There's a

wealth of info available in for the forum archives for those willing to do a little research before asking a lot of basic questions. Good luck. :-)

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/19/12 1:11am
Msg #430999

Re: No apology necessary

Congrats, Rhonda. You're starting off on the right foot! Smile Best of luck to you - and happy reading!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.