Notary Rotary
Print Fees
Notary Discussion History

Print Fees
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Belinda/CA on 8/6/12 4:01pm
Msg #429543

Print Fees

Percentage-wise, how many companies pay you a print fee for a cancellation?

I have just been refused a print fee for the first time. 'Not in their policy.' They seem surprised that such a fee is ever paid and this is a large well respected service many of you use.

So, I am curious. Say, out of 10 companies, how many pay you a print fee and how many do not?

Reply by NJDiva on 8/6/12 4:06pm
Msg #429544

There are a few different variables...

what is the situation?

Reply by NJDiva on 8/6/12 5:03pm
Msg #429552

There are a few different variables...

Some companies give clear instructions on not printing until confirmed, or not printing prior to 2 hours before the closing, etc., etc.

That's why I was asking for the details.

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/6/12 4:37pm
Msg #429549

10 They all do. Even if I have to have it stipulated in the Order. Full fee on no/signs/shows/RTC used, too. However, you do need to address this BEFORE it happens. And they need to advise of their policies BEFORE it happens.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/6/12 5:43pm
Msg #429558

I think more importantly that YOU need to be sure that they know YOUR policies ahead of time or that you come to an agreement. You're a contractor, not an employee. They are asking YOU for assistance, not the other way around. YOu set the prices, not them. IF they don't want to pay, then there's no agreement to do the work.

I always put it like this: Would you walk in to Best Buy and tell the sales guy that even though you have a budget of $300, you insist he sell you the $900 model for the same price? It doesn't work that way. Signing services and TCs are the customer. YOU set the prices and the policies for your products and services.

Companies that restrict notaries to their policies and procedures are treating you like an employee. You're NOT an employee and you shouldn't accept it.

Now, as for printing? My policy is this... I expect that once they send the documents, they are print ready and I can print at any point from the moment they make them available to me. If I print, I owed a printing fee, at the very minimum. I don't let them dictate their policies to me. This is all agreed to well before I accept a job. If a company doesn't like my terms, that's totally okay...they can find somebody else.

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/6/12 8:35pm
Msg #429581

I have never been refused print fees and set my own amount. n/m

Reply by Belinda/CA on 8/6/12 9:24pm
Msg #429584

I am not concerned about my fee. That is not the topic. I am

Simply curious, as stated, what percentage of companies pay/offer a print fee. Doesn't matter what time you printed. Doesn't matter anything. Does not matter circumstances. If all your ducks lined up to qualify...how many pay a print fee? Until yesterday I would have said 100%.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/6/12 10:31pm
Msg #429588

100% of the ones I work with pay...

...but that's *because* I have the agreement in advance and they what my fees are.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 8/7/12 3:16am
Msg #429594

If I print, they are charged and pay.

If the borrowers already have docs, no print fee is paid to the NSA, usually.

What do you care what % of companies offer/pay? You set your own fees for your services. If a company says they don't pay a print fee, I would just add my print fee to the quote w/o breaking it down to them. Just one flat fee for the agreed upon job.
If they don't agree to my fees, I don't accept the signing.

I do the same thing for companies that want me to fax back docs at "no charge". My quotes for them include all my normal fees + my charge for fax backs with no breakdown.

The key is to ask for all the right information PRIOR to giving them your quote.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 8/7/12 9:14am
Msg #429612

Chris I do the same

I charge a full fee that includes print fee, extra travel and fax backs.
If none are required, and the company balks at the fee, I reduce my fee.
I've found it's less stressful for me, and it's easier to reduce fees rather than stack fees with hiring companies.
BTW, many assignments I take on are "extra travel" here in rural SW FL.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 8/7/12 1:02pm
Msg #429647

Just a curois question. That is all - no more.

Don't read anything into my question. It is just a curious question. I have my fees and they are set. I am doing fine and am not asking how to run my business.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.