Notary Rotary
Printing 30-40 pages of instructions
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by RuRu/NC on 8/28/12 11:41am
Msg #432234

Do you get tired of printing all of the unnecessary documents like closing instructions?
Ink and paper are not getting any cheaper. No wonder most of the signing agents have dropped out in my area. The packages keep getting larger and larger ....
Sorry just venting

Reply by JPH13/MO on 8/28/12 11:46am
Msg #432236

If it is, for example, a Bank of America loan (they have about that many pages of instructions) you can ask whomever assigned the job to you if those instructions actually need to be printed or not. In many cases they will say they don't need to be printed, which saves you from having to print them for the borrower as well. If you do them often enough, it's worth asking and getting a reply by email to save for future use.

I have been told they don't need to be printed since the closers all have a master set of them that they can use, but you do always have to get permission not to print (at least once) from anyone assigning jobs to you. I have also been told that

Reply by JPH13/MO on 8/28/12 11:48am
Msg #432238

oops hit button.

I have also been told by a few companies that the entire package must be printed twice, no exceptions, so you do need to ask and get it in writing before just not printing.

Reply by Dennis_IN on 8/28/12 11:47am
Msg #432237

I never print the instructions in the BO pkg unless they have to sign them. When signing pkg is printing I go tru the docs and document the page ranges needed to print their copy, less the unnecessary instructions... ect. It adds up over time. A penny saved is a penny earned.

Reply by ToniK on 8/28/12 12:02pm
Msg #432242

Same here. For the BO copy I dont print the instructions for the settlement agent, escrow agent and whatever they have instructions for. Most borrowers balk at even getting paper. Man tell me they prefer it emailed to them.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/28/12 12:24pm
Msg #432247

I just dealt with that yesterday on a Suntrust loan w/28

pages of Closing Instructions. I have been printing them, clipping it at the back of the pkg., but not printing for the borrower copy.
I think I'm going to try to call every time I run into it, and get permission not to print it at all. It's such a waste, IMO.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/28/12 12:42pm
Msg #432252

Re: I just dealt with that yesterday on a Suntrust loan w/28

IMO, we shouldn't be sent ANYTHING in the pkg to print if it doesn't need to be signed.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/28/12 12:54pm
Msg #432255

I agree. I think they just send the entire file as SOP. n/m

Reply by lindetteh_PA on 8/28/12 12:56pm
Msg #432257

Re: I just dealt with that yesterday on a Suntrust loan w/28

I think the TC's are including more and more miscellaneous doc's to save them the cost of printing them. Starting to get more and more attachments that have nothing to be signed by borrower (48 pages) yesterday. I called TC and informed them that it would be an additional fee since the package was already 179 pages and 15 pages of title docs.

Reply by mwm143 on 8/28/12 1:05pm
Msg #432261

I use the "print both sides" feature on my printer

for the borrower's copies. I also print on letter size. They actually appreciate the smaller stack of papers to store.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/28/12 6:19pm
Msg #432301

And what do you do if you have to pull a copy

due to a signing error...then what?

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/28/12 6:26pm
Msg #432304

Old skool, aren't we, Linda?

How many times has that saved us from making another trip?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/28/12 7:38pm
Msg #432315

Re: Old skool, aren't we, Linda?

Pennies in paper vs. dollars/gal in gas, not to mention lost time

No contest in my old-fashioned book.

Reply by bfnotary on 8/29/12 7:15am
Msg #432347

I would not print double sided either.

Reply by mwm143 on 8/29/12 10:48am
Msg #432366

Or maybe just old. Just how many mistakes are you ladies making out there anyway?

Reply by HisHughness on 8/29/12 11:29am
Msg #432368

***Or maybe just old.***

You like living dangerously, don't you? What do you do for entertainment: Milk cobras? Skydive with just an umbrella? Crack jokes about muscle-bound fatheads at weightlifters' conventions?

Please, don't come to Austin anytime soon. I'd like to be out of blast range when you get nuked.

Reply by gaby on 8/28/12 5:28pm
Msg #432293

Instructions to Escrow/Title are specific instructions regarding the loan which have most (if not all) information pertaining to their loan as well as the lender's guidelines and disclosures. Many times they are not required to be signed like BofA (old Countrywide), however in doing your "due diligence" you should provide a copy of these to the signers. I complain when I see these 100+ packages...but whether you're doing it for $90 or $200...you did agree to provide a copy set to the signer(s).

Reply by RuRu/NC on 8/28/12 7:38pm
Msg #432316

If we were getting $200 it wouldn't be a problem. But we are not. We are getting the $90.

Reply by bfnotary on 8/29/12 7:17am
Msg #432348

I many not be getting 200 except on rare occasion but I am not get 90 either.

Reply by jnew on 8/28/12 11:16pm
Msg #432337

I think that anyone considering cutting pages off the package, should independently determine what the cost per page of printing out a large package is. In my case, I have done this on a spreadsheet and extended my costs per page out to see how many pages I could print on a job until I broke even. I was not able to determine the exact figure without knowing how many legal pages I printed and how many letter pages I printed. Regardless, I think that you would be surprised at what the figure really was. Don't forget how much you profit for every small package you print. I allocate a certain amount for printing from every invoice regardless of the number of pages. I don't offer a discount to the customer for a small package and don't charge extra for a large package. I know that for every order where the customer receives his copies from the lender or where the package is overnighted to me, I see decreased profits. I really don't want my customers reading this and seeing what my copy profits are, but I would send a pm to anyone who wants to see my breakeven point on copies.

Reply by bfnotary on 8/29/12 7:21am
Msg #432349

I charge extra sometimes for larger package, not due to the printing, but due to the extra time at the table. Same with travel time. When I have to travel 60 miles one way instead of 30, it doesn't cost me a whole lot more in gas, in my car anyways, however it does take me a lot longer to get there. Which is what I charge for, my time.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.