Notary Rotary
Recent update on failure to pay by Kosty/Genuine Title/Safir
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by NotaryOH on 8/1/12 8:33pm
Msg #429034

On 6/12/12, Shannon Smoot asked me to do a pre-signing (RESPA disclosures) and promised payment net 15. I am well aware of Kosty's/Genuine Title's/Safir Signing's history in Notary Rotary but Shannon seems to be ok. She agreed. I followed up a few times with both her and directly to Kosty. No luck getting paid for the 6/12/12 signing. So, I contacted Todd C. Tabor (the Sr. Loan Officer, Emery Federal Credit Union -Office: 410-977-3912). He explained that unbeknownst to him (until a recent flood of complaints by notaries of non-payment issues), Emery was not aware that Genuine Title and Kosty were not paying their notaries. He followed up with Kosty and got an instant reply. All the while, Kosty completely ignored me.

On 7/31/12 (after my call the LO-Todd Tabor), Kosty replied (and copied Todd) saying, "I am cutting you a check tonight for this invoice."

I replied, "I don't believe you. Please scan a copy of the check today before mailing it. The only reason you are replying is because I contacted the LO. Otherwise, you would have kept my money!"

Kosty replied, "I have always paid you, I don't even show you ever emailing me an invoice before Shannan forwarded me one today."

My final reply was, "I have the email trails to forward to you showing that I have contacted you directly with my invoice, via email. I'll re-send them now." I re-sent the email trails and copied Todd.

That was on 7/31. Kosty has not scanned a copy of the check and I will keep following-up with Todd rather than dealing with Kosty directly. Todd said he will make sure that I'm paid.

Lesson learned. Kosty is and always will be a liar and a cheat!

Reply by Yoli/CA on 8/1/12 8:46pm
Msg #429035

Julie, I won't cut into you for agreeing to work with "Kosty" (especially being aware of his reputation) as I'm sure you're already kicking yourself for this slip.

Let this be a lesson for all the newbies. Companies listed here on NotRot with poor payment history have already been given 2nd and 3rd chances. Don't be their next victim.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/1/12 8:58pm
Msg #429037

<<<On 6/12/12, Shannon Smoot asked me to do a pre-signing (RESPA disclosures) and promised payment net 15. I am well aware of Kosty's/Genuine Title's/Safir Signing's history in Notary Rotary but Shannon seems to be ok. She agreed. I followed up a few times with both her and directly to Kosty. No luck getting paid for the 6/12/12 signing.>>>

Another lesson to learn from this scenario: The work ethic and character of the person that signs the checks will determine when/if a notary gets paid, regardless of WHO makes the promises.

Reply by NotaryOH on 8/1/12 8:59pm
Msg #429038

How do I link this to Safir and Genuine Title in Signing Central?

Reply by Yoli/CA on 8/1/12 9:25pm
Msg #429046

Linked. n/m

Reply by TheCloser123 on 8/2/12 9:24am
Msg #429086

I finally did get paid the nearly 400.00 in outstanding invoices. Here is how I did it. I sent an email to Jay Zukerberg <[e-mail address]> who owns Genuine Title and I cc'd Shannon & Kosty. This was after SEVERAL attempts to get paid for several invoices that were 30-120 day's past due. In the email I told them that if I did not get a response via email letting me know that my check was being sent with in the next 24 hours I would file a complaint with the Maryland Insurance Administration (they regulate the title companies license to do business) and the BBB. That seemed to work. I got a response via email right away (keep everything in writing) However, when I received the check it was HAND WRITTEN??? I had my bank verify funds! They continue to call me for signings and I just dump them to voice mail.

Reply by Les_CO on 8/2/12 9:38am
Msg #429088

"when I received the check it was HAND WRITTEN"

Probably the only check to a notary they’ve written this year.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.