ServiceLink email
Notary Discussion History

ServiceLink email
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by HARRY_PA on 8/17/12 10:17am
Msg #430796

ServiceLink email

Dear Valued ServiceLink Signing Vendor,

As a reminder of ServiceLink’s security protocol, we would like to advise you that we do not accept unsecured PDF’s/Scanned files of any loan documents sent via unencrypted/unprotected email.

If we ask for a return of Critical Documents to ServiceLink prior to returning original the loan documents, they must be faxed to: 888-343-1897 - 800-798-0479, or the Fax Number listed on your Closing confirmation.

Please only send the requested critical documents and DO NOT SEND the entire closing package.

We will consider accepting PDF/Scanned files via email if you have the ability to encrypt /password protect the file.

Please contact your ServiceLink Representative to obtain approval.

As always, we look forward to continued success in 2012.

Sincerely,

ServiceLink Vendor Management

Reply by JPH13/MO on 8/17/12 10:20am
Msg #430798

And your point is?

I agree that you shouldn't email an unprotected .pdf of critical docs.

Reply by HARRY_PA on 8/17/12 11:07am
Msg #430804

FYI ONLY n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/17/12 11:39am
Msg #430806

Okay...so techno-dense here..

explain to me how a fax is secure?

Reply by ananotary on 8/17/12 11:40am
Msg #430807

Re: Okay...so techno-dense here..

Probably goes to a secure/ encrypted computer or something. I'm tech stupid. How do you send an encrypted PDF?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/17/12 11:44am
Msg #430808

LOL..that was my next question!!.. :) n/m

Reply by sueharke on 8/17/12 2:53pm
Msg #430856

Re: LOL..that was my next question!!.. :)

It is possible to password protect pdf files. I use a free program call "pdfcreator." It can be setup to send file encrypted and password protected. I suggest looking at the program information.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 8/17/12 12:59pm
Msg #430815

Sending protected PDF

I only have Adobe Reader, not Adobe Acrobat, so I don't know what Acrobat might be able to do in terms of password protecting a file. But many people have Microsoft Word, and those documents can be password protected. Of course, that leaves the question of how to exchange the password.

Another approach is to obtain a digital email certificate from a company like Symantec (formerly VeriSign). But both parties have to have a certificate to exchange encrypted email; what do you think the chance is that a company that suckles from their fax machines will embrace digital certificates? Another problem with encrypted email is it only works with clients installed on the computer, like Outlook or Thunderbird. It doesn't work with browser-based email.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 8/17/12 1:04pm
Msg #430817

exchanging password: send in separate email from PDF n/m

Reply by VT_Syrup on 8/17/12 1:07pm
Msg #430820

Emailing password is weak; voice phone is more independent n/m

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 8/17/12 1:18pm
Msg #430826

you are probably right. thats just how TC/banks send to me

so I figure if its good enough for them, its good enough for me. of course, if SS or TC has specific procedure, then by all means, I would do it their way Smile

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/17/12 1:31pm
Msg #430837

Re: you are probably right. thats just how TC/banks send to me

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but faxes typically go over voice lines, which means it's likely an analog transmission. Emails use the internet, a digital media, which I believe is more susceptible to hacking. Much beyond that, my tech knowledge is waaaay out of date...

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 8/17/12 1:02pm
Msg #430816

Encrypted PDF: do you currently scan to PDF?

there may be option in your scanning program to encrypt. I have a Brother MFC and had to do some searching to find it. Or, perhaps you have something more than the basic free Adobe in which case you can likely do within Adobe.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/17/12 6:57pm
Msg #430873

If it goes to a computer, it is becoming a pdf or tiff.

If it goes to the "fax" machine, it falls in the floor, behind the filing cabinet, etc. ;0)

Reply by jba/fl on 8/17/12 9:02pm
Msg #430889

Re: If it goes to a computer, it is becoming a pdf or tiff.

If it goes via "fax" machine, it may be an online fax program with no one standing around the fax machine reading what they pick up off the floor.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 8/17/12 1:06pm
Msg #430818

How many mobile notaries have actual fax machines these days? I get the impression that most who do faxing at all use some sort of e-fax service. So unless there is an encrypted link (SSL) between the notary and the e-fax service, the security that supposedly comes from receiving the images as faxes is an illusion.

I also get the impression that some of the companies that want faxes want them from the signing location so that any errors can be corrected before the notary leaves the site and drops the package. But what is the chance of having access to a real fax from a borrower's home?

Reply by pat/WA on 8/17/12 1:13pm
Msg #430821

We have a fax machine in our office

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/17/12 1:13pm
Msg #430822

VT Syrup.

<I also get the impression that some of the companies that want faxes want them from the signing location so that any errors can be corrected before the notary leaves the site and drops the package. But what is the chance of having access to a real fax from a borrower's home?>

I have never once been asked to do this from borrowers home in over 8 years. Have you, or anyone else????

Reply by VT_Syrup on 8/17/12 1:21pm
Msg #430830

Re: VT Syrup.

I haven't precisely been asked to fax from the signing location. But I've been asked to fax before dropping, so that I wouldn't have to make a return trip to the borrower if there was a problem. In the absence of a location at or close to the borrower's location to fax from, that amounts to the same thing.

Reply by Gregory/CA on 8/17/12 1:15pm
Msg #430824

I have a Brother MFC printer in my office and I also have Adobe Acrobat 10 which allow me to create .pdf documents. It does contain security settings to allow for a password to open the document. With additional security, depending on what the document is, you can even restrict the document from being modified or printed.

I generally use the scanner on my Brother to get the .pdf document and then use Ring Central for sending out my faxes.

Reply by pat/WA on 8/17/12 1:18pm
Msg #430827

Considering what pay they are now offering they are very demanding!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/18/12 2:02am
Msg #430906

I SERIOUSLY don't get this...

Considering every time I've done a SL signing, *they* have emailed the docs to me as unsecured PDFs.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.