Notary Rotary
Signing Company Required Documentation
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by SE12ER on 8/13/12 10:37pm
Msg #430369

I am in process of signing up with a signing up, they are requesting the following documents fax to them. Is this standard practice for signing companies to request for these documents?

Here is a list of docs they requested. wondering if is it okay to send them the following?

1) Copy of commission
2) Bond & E&O insurance
3) Background check
4) Copy of photo ID (not sure what to send them for this, don't feel comfortable sending in driver's license)

Appreciate any feedback and advise. Thanks

Reply by Q_in_Sac/CA on 8/13/12 10:41pm
Msg #430370

Those are the docs they "axing" for.

Reply by Doris_CO on 8/13/12 10:56pm
Msg #430375

I, personally, wouldn't send a copy of my drivers license, even if I blanked out all the information. I won't send any personal information that could be used to steal my identity, to any company that recruits my business. I would send them a W-9 with my EIN number. (Never send them your SS number. You can get an EIN number from IRS for your business and put that on the W-9's you send out).

Reply by SE12ER on 8/13/12 11:35pm
Msg #430380

So, it is okay to fax them a copy of the commission? n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/13/12 11:42pm
Msg #430381

WHy not?

You're supposed to display your commission (or a copy of it) in a visible location in an office, and all of the information on your commission certificate it public information. Sending somebody a copy of it is no big deal, IMO.

Reply by SE12ER on 8/14/12 12:12am
Msg #430382

Thanks - I just want to be sure :) n/m

Reply by Brenda/FL on 8/14/12 5:15am
Msg #430385

I was asked by a signing company to fax them the same documents along with a W-9, I gave them my SS# and a copy of my Dr. Lic. required before I could work for them. I have not received the loan docs that were suppose to come yesterday for a closing in the morning. I hope I haven't made a huge mistake!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/14/12 5:20am
Msg #430386

Never never never use your SS#..

go to www.irs.gov Get yourself an EIN and use that number with ALL your notary work.

SS# AND a copy of your DL to a company you don't know? I'd be nervous too - just in the fact that some minimum-wage earner now has a copy of all my PII. Ugh..

You can send a copy of your DL with the PII blacked out - not sure how much good your name and address is going to do anyone in identity theft. As far as the other items - copy of commission, copy of E&O, W-9, yes that's pretty standard.

Reply by Brenda/FL on 8/14/12 5:37am
Msg #430387

Re: Never never never use your SS#..

I have an EIN # but haven't used it because I am not sure how that works when filling taxes at the end of the year. I need to talk to my accountant I guess.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/14/12 5:41am
Msg #430388

You use your EIN on your Schedule C when you file

your taxes, which is attached to your 1040.

If you have an accountant, then you should just be using the EIN and let him/her figure it out at end of year. But when it comes to business matters you NEVER give your SS#.

Reply by sueharke on 8/14/12 11:51am
Msg #430415

Re: Never never never use your SS#..

I am a CPA. The IRS issues the EIN. When you apply for an EIN, you give the IRS your SSN. Hence, the IRS matches your EIN to your SSN for tax purposes. Some states cannot work with an EIN number and may ask for your SSN too. Use your best judgement with a state that asks for this information. If you feel they don't need it and you have provided all the information in your income tax return, I would not provide the information as the state can get it from the IRS.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/14/12 8:55am
Msg #430390

This is SOP for many companies, who require that

documentation in order for you to be put in their database.
As far as the copy of the d/l, that has to be your call. I don't see a huge issue with it & consider d/l public information anyway. You can always block out any info you don't want them to see.
This one always gets me, because we ask for copies of ID from borrowers day in & day out, but don't think we should have to provide it. A little hypocritical IMO.

Reply by A S Johnson on 8/14/12 9:07am
Msg #430391

Re: This is SOP for many companies, who require that

Why hypocrital? A copy of the Driver's License is required by banking rules when a new account is opened. A financing of home is a banking transaction. All persons handling this information should be backgroung check. The company on the revieving end should have security measures in place for handling and storage of this information.

The question is how secure is their data base and how do they store the copies.

Many companies I do signing for delete the online info as some as I notify it is complete. Most of this information is on a secure website.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/14/12 9:27am
Msg #430393

"All persons handling this information should be

background checked".
I agree, but how many notaries balk at being asked to do a background check. Many are taking copies of d/l's with digitial cameras, etc.
IMHO I don't think identity theft is the result of d/l's, but is usually the result of some sort of electronic fraud. With the internet, there isn't a whole lot of info about us that isn't available somewhere for anyone to access. Again, just my .02.

Reply by sueharke on 8/14/12 12:01pm
Msg #430417

Re: "All persons handling this information should be

If anyone accepts credit cards, please read this as this may be a source of information leading to identity theft. I had a merchant credit card service and the service was hacked. I was notified by mail on July 12, 2012. Since I am a CPA and I understand how a "credit freeze" prevents any unauthorized changes to a credit report without contacting me first. I decided to freeze my credit with all 3 credit bureaus. If I want to use credit, I contact the credit bureau with a private code number. On July 19, 2012 I received a letter from Experian that someone was protesting the address on the credit report and the address did not match my address. Someone was trying to make me a victim of identity theft, but got stopped. It just means I can't have what I want for "immediate gratification", such as a car or other without a delay in a credit check.

Anyone with questions, feel free to contact me privately.

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 8/14/12 12:05pm
Msg #430418

If you want to get assignments from signing services you either provide them with the documents they require, (whether you agree with their need for them or not) or you will not get any assignments from them.

It should not be such a difficult concept to follow.

Some insurers REQUIRE signing services to obtain specific information about the agents they use for coverage or the insurance coverage may not in force. We would never send out a signing agent on an assignment if we knew our insurance coverage would not be in force for that particular signing.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.