Notary Rotary
Tech question re: xferring .pst files to new laptop
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by JanetK_CA on 8/2/12 3:22am
Msg #429071

I hoping someone here can guide me or let me know if I'm on track or missing something. (With this stuff, I feel like I'm walking in the dark and I have no idea if the path is clear or if I'm about to stub my toe - or worse... Wink)

I have a new laptop with Windows 7 & and MS Office 2010. The old laptop is running with Vista (which has served me pretty well) and MS Office 2003. (Yeah, I know... Wink) I bought a mega sized external hard drive and have figured out how to copy files - and got someone to show me how to find my .pst files, which I was able to copy. But he asked me who configured my Outlook and I didn't have an answer (and he didn't offer to help). I figured I could call one of my ISP providers, but I'm wondering if that's even necessary or if there's more to it than they'll be willing to do. I have multiple email accounts coming into Outlook now, which I got working with the help of Earthlink techs, I think. (It's been a while.) The email for my own domain, I managed to figure out for myself somehow.

When I didn't know any better, I plugged the new laptop into my data line, clicked a couple of things (a simple set-up wizard?) and was able to receive email on it. I didn't have files copied to it yet, though, so I'm still using the old laptop.

I have scads of business records saved in Outlook only and I don't want to mess anything up or lose anything. (I think I have them saved with Carbonite, but I've had some problems accessing their website from this pc.)

So, is there more to it than simply copying files from the hard drive to the new laptop? (I read that .pst files are located in a different place on Windows 7.) I've been trying to learn as much as I can about all this (in between appts for a very busy EOM) and I'm probably making it more complicated than necessary, but I'm very aware that I don't know what I don't know. (And as you may have guessed, this isn't my favorite thing!)

I appreciate any input or comments. Thanks, folks!!

Reply by VT_Syrup on 8/2/12 6:35am
Msg #429074

You might try Windows Easy Transfer. Just click the start button on the new computer and click windows easy transfer in the find box. BUT I didn't do this because I wasn't using Outlook at the time I changed computers, and also because my old computer died before I bought the new one. I don't know if this utility will overwrite any changes you made to how your email accounts are set up. I also don't know if it will merge your old email with your new email, or just overwrite your new email. These would be thinks to pay attention to if you go this route.

(I transferred my files by taking my hard drive from the old computer, buying a cheap box to put it in, and plugging it into a USB port on my new computer.)

Reply by Teresa Kutz on 8/2/12 9:55am
Msg #429091

You will have to set up all your email accounts in your new Outlook. If you go to Outlook on your old computer and go to the tools menu, then email accounts, all that information needs to be input into your new outlook. Once you are done setting up the accounts, you can import your old mailboxes into the new.

Reply by JENNY/TX on 8/2/12 12:34pm
Msg #429101

Old computer:
Open Outlook
Open file (at top)
Open import\export
Export to file (I use a thumb drive)

New computer:
Open outlook
insert thumb drive
Open file (at top of Outlook)
Open import\export
Import from file (find file on thumb drive)

This is how I move files. Hope it works for you.

Jenny

Reply by JPH13/MO on 8/2/12 1:28pm
Msg #429111

Thanks Jenny! I spent hours forwarding last time! n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/3/12 2:08am
Msg #429191

Re: Thanks Jenny - and Teresa!

Hopefully your two comments combined gave me the answers I was looking for! Smile VERRY much appreciated!! Now I just need to find some time where I can focus on this without constant interruptions. Maybe I'll actually get a weekend off this weekend and finally get this done...

Can't wait to be on the newer - and very much faster - laptop! ('Course, now I will also have the learning curve for all the new software on Office 2010 - especially Outlook, which has had lots of changes. But that I can do one step at a time, I hope.)

Next technology leap for me... from a BB to a much newer smartphone. Oy vey! It never ends... Wink

Reply by Linda Spanski on 8/2/12 2:23pm
Msg #429114

Thank you!

Now I can back up Outlook in case my computer crashes.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.