Notary Rotary
This Was Interesting....
Notary Discussion History

This Was Interesting....
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by kcg on 8/3/12 4:46pm
Msg #429275

This Was Interesting....

This morning just as I was getting ready to leave the house with appointments scheduled all day, I get an email with attachments. It was a "notary question" from a woman who wrote that she was sending me a document that needed to be notarized, could it be done electronically. I did not open the attachments but quickly wrote back and explained that no, this could not be done....she would have to appear in person before a notary with government-issued ID and sign the document in front of the notary and suggested she go to UPS. Then I left.

When I came home, there was another email, this one said "do you mean to tell me that with all the information I sent you, you can't do it electronically? UPS is too far".

I then opened the attachments and one....in full color....contained her driver's license and social security card....yikes. The other one was a blank I-9. I wrote back again and went over the law with her and then gently suggested she never send her ID's to someone she has never met and especially over the internet.

I have not heard back, I'm hoping she doesn't write back to tell me she found someone!

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/3/12 5:35pm
Msg #429278

Think...thanks to a certain co. that thinks it's soooo cool...that any notary with a web page might begin seeing more and more of these goofy requests. I'm also sadly just as sure that some dumb notary somewhere will try to do it.

Each of us should try, if confronted with such a request, to educate people that this ain't legal.

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 8/3/12 6:17pm
Msg #429280

Rule #1- Never, and I mean NEVER EVER open an attachment from someone you do not know.

Rule #2- When in doubt revert to rule #1.

Attachments like a MS Word or Excel files or pdf files can be rigged with malware that could destroy your computer system, could steal all your financial, personal and client data files and wreck your ability to work for days until you get a new computer.

Most people have no idea how dangerous it is to open attachments from people they do not know.

Not 30 minutes ago I got an email from someone at customer service where I have my IRA account. It was a MS Excel file. I emailed back I do not open attachments from people I do not know personally. I asked him what was in it and why he was send it to me. He wrote me back without sending another attachment.

Reply by Notary1/CO on 8/3/12 7:57pm
Msg #429287

Re: Form I-9

A notary is not required for a Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. It is normally processed by the employer of a new hire employee. When they hire a remote employee, they can appoint someone as their designated agent to process the form.

You must meet in person with the new employee, because you must examine the original ID presented. You normally check their driver's license and social security card, sometimes other acceptable forms of ID, and complete and sign Section 2 of the form as the employer's agent. Employee completes Section 1.

Many notaries process Form I-9 as a private contracted service, not as a public notary service. Once you learn the process, it's an extra revenue source.

I require the hiring employer to complete a one page agreement showing that they are hiring me as their designated agent, not as a notary. No where in the Form I-9 instructions or employer handbook does it say to notarize the form.

The electronic version of Form I-9 is called E-Verify. It eliminates the paper form, but you must still meet in person to inspect the ID presented. E-Verify checks the ID information against a database to flag any problems. An employee can also do a Self Check, before completing Form I-9 or E-Verify, to check for any potential problems. See www.uscis.gov/selfcheck/

For more information on Form I-9 see www.uscis.gov/i-9/

Reply by MW/VA on 8/3/12 8:45pm
Msg #429292

I'm sure this is just the beginning of the "pandora's box"

that's been opened by this buzz on the internet about electronic notarization. Interesting, because in VA we are prohibited from notarizing I-9 forms anyway.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/3/12 9:01pm
Msg #429296

<<<It was a "notary question" from a woman who wrote............>>>

Actually we don't know that a *woman* wrote that email and the other email....it could have been a bored teenager...or a scammer. No one knows WHO actually sat at that keyboard and sent a lady's ID and SS card.

Reply by 101livescan on 8/4/12 8:05am
Msg #429323

TAKES ALL KINDS. Yep, just throw your wallet with all your personal documents into Times Square on New Years Eve and see what happens to your ID. Good grief!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.