Notary Rotary
Today's UPS battle
Notary Discussion History

Today's UPS battle
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by jba/fl on 8/7/12 3:25pm
Msg #429670

Today's UPS battle

I do RM applications for a company and they send labels for 3 day return. I had no cardboard mailers so asked at the store near me this morning, and he wanted to see what I had. I showed the label and the man said that I couldn't have a cardboard mailer as they are only for one or two day traffic. Having called UPS a short while back about this issue - they had told me that the mailers would be ok as they had nothing else and it is the label that is scanned, charged, etc. Nope - no go with this store manager as even though UPS doesn't care, he said, "I care". He has kraft paper envelopes on the shelf that I can buy for 55 cents each.

Since there is an office park nearby, I left and headed over there. Got a cardboard mailer and put the label over their "rules of use" and dropped it in the box; they can deal with it this time.

Has anyone else encountered this yet? Different solution to this problem?

Reply by HARRY_PA on 8/7/12 3:44pm
Msg #429674

Simply, UPS does not provide packaging for ground or 3 day select service. It is up to you to provide packaging.

Harry

Reply by Notary1/CO on 8/7/12 4:37pm
Msg #429686

Yes, I ran into this for a UPS Ground return. Free shipping envelopes are included for express shipping only. I paid for a mailer at the UPS Store and then added the cost of the mailer to my invoice.

It was for a job for a law firm, not a loan signing. I had already scanned and emailed back the signed docs, and they did not need express delivery. They included a label for ground shipping. My posted fee schedule and terms of service state that I do not include parking fees, tolls, shipping, postage or mailing envelopes. So, I added the cost to my invoice and they paid it.

I never use a drop box. I always get a shipping receipt at the counter.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 8/7/12 6:11pm
Msg #429699

Julie - was that 3 Day Select shipping?

The owner at my UPS store doesn't care. I sometimes ship ground using the plastic packs turned inside out.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/7/12 6:23pm
Msg #429702

Re: Julie - was that 3 Day Select shipping?

yes - that is going to be my solution also. Or turn a cardboard mailer inside out.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 8/7/12 6:27pm
Msg #429704

Re: Julie - was that 3 Day Select shipping?

Or use a cardboard mailer INSIDE a plastic shipping pouch turned inside out!

Reply by jba/fl on 8/7/12 6:29pm
Msg #429706

thanks. n/m

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 8/8/12 10:19am
Msg #429770

JBA- I hope you have a loan originator's license and are registered with the NMLS registry.

If not it is a federal offense and you could be fined up to $25,000 for each reverse mortgage loan application you take.

If your state has their own licensing requirements for loan originators you'd need to have that too before you could legally do a reverse mortgage application.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/8/12 11:22am
Msg #429777

We don't "take" the application...we don't "take"

any info or help fill anything out at all - we receive the completed application package, print it out, have it signed, collect supporting documentation as instructed by the lender/LO and return for processing.

IMO two different animals.

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 8/8/12 1:34pm
Msg #429800

Re: We don't "take" the application...we don't "take"

You are dead wrong!

According to the new RESPA rules even clerks within the reverse lender's office must be licensed to do any work at all on the file. The only exception to the law is if the internal clerks and/or internal staff for that lender are W-2 salaried employees can they touch the file without being licensed.

Are you prepared to eat a $25,000 fine for every violation? Doing what you are doing is a clear and flagrant violation of law. The company asking you to break the law has no obvious liability if you do it.

You would be wise to not post what you are doing on the web as things last forever on the web. You should also get in touch with Chrissey Ladd, a very high level notary trainer in NJ and the legislative chair for the NJ association of mortgage brokers to get chapter and verse on the law and why you are so very wrong and in serious peril.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/8/12 3:55pm
Msg #429821

First of all you need to calm down.

Second - I'm not doing any at the moment, so don't jump to conclusions. I said the ones I HAVE done.

And all due respect to Chrissey Ladd, as she is very knowledgeable, but she IS in NJ...I'm in FL

Third - I did look up the definition for FL... see Msg #424689

I'm not going to chew this all over again.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/8/12 4:08pm
Msg #429825

Pro: thank you for your concern; very sweet of you.

No, I am not being sarcastic. I do believe that I am ok under FL law. I cannot discuss anyone elses law(s) concerning this practice though and will let them choose the correct course of action for themselves.

Thank you Linda H for all your careful citations...we in FL always trust your careful observations.

Reply by HisHughness on 8/8/12 5:08pm
Msg #429827

Do you have a cite for this please? I'm interested. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.