Virgiia law
Notary Discussion History

Virgiia law
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by FGX/NJ on 8/24/12 8:55am
Msg #431815

Virgiia law

Article on webcam notarizatiob.

http://www.sbwire.com/press-releases/new-virginia-law-prompts-worlds-first-online-legal-notarization-151907.htm

Reply by BNotary on 8/24/12 10:07am
Msg #431825

Did a signing yesterday where the borrower said that they offered to do the signing online with a online notary. He declined because he didnt think it was legal.

Reply by Clem/CA on 8/24/12 10:47am
Msg #431831

Where is Virgiia? New state?

Reply by WINotaryGal on 8/24/12 11:36am
Msg #431838

Article published by a PR firm

Wisconsin doesn't consider this type of notarization legal.

Reply by Jered Morgan on 8/24/12 3:42pm
Msg #431872

Re: Article published by a PR firm

It's a grey area, even though YOU may physically be in Wisconsin, the notarization is deemed to take place IN virginia, most States have the "UNIFORM RECOGNITION OF
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS ACT" which will recognize any acknowledgement from another State if the acknowledgement complies with the law of that State. But we're you really IN Virginia if you were on video conference in Wisconsin? Furthermore, the company doing this, from what I've heard anyway, just takes a scanned in photo of your ID in addition to an experian check, supposedly that doesn't even comply with Virginia's law to begin with. So, your mileage may vary. I certainly wouldn't rely on such a notarization.

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/24/12 4:01pm
Msg #431880

Just so you're clear: It's not a grey area...it's simply wrong/illegal. This company does NOT begin to comply with the VA law on 'webcam' notarizations--which is far more stringent and not so easy to do as upload your ID. And, the sad part...they know it, but just keep on spinning and promoting, much like the fringe groups who promote 'notary protests' (similar bs, but a whole 'nother topic).

Reply by Jered Morgan on 8/24/12 4:11pm
Msg #431883

I'm not 100% up on Virginia law(not an attorney nor do I reside there) OR the company purporting to do it, just saying if it was complied with, it may be a grey area. If it's def. not being complied with, which it appears not to be with, then yeah, it's simply wrong/illegal.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/24/12 8:29pm
Msg #431916

Jered - check the archives here.

You'll learn a lot about this. I have posted quite a bit; so has the original poster.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/24/12 8:18pm
Msg #431914

I think this is the same press release that's been floating

around. IMO the issue that isn't being presented is the need for biometric id. I do think this is the shape of things to come, but I don't think we're there yet.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/24/12 8:33pm
Msg #431917

Random thought on the Va Law

Is someone with a disability such as blindness, deafness, or inability to write also able to receive a notarization via webcam/online notary?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.