Notary Rotary
We instituted a new policy today in our store
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Pro Mobile Notary on 8/19/12 1:05pm
Msg #431016

We are sick and tired of receiving complaints from notaries that they were not paid for their services when in fact they were.

Today we had our 4th complaint in 2 weeks (from 4 different signing agents) bemoaning that they were not paid as promised.

IN EVERY ONE OF THOSE INSTANCES THE SIGNING AGENT RECEIVED THEIR CHECK (PAYMENT IN FULL WITH A MEMO ON THE CHECK SAYING WHICH BORROWER SIGNING AND WHEN THEY WERE BEING PAID FOR) AND DEPOSITED IT INTO THEIR ACCOUNT.

From now on we will never again use the services of anyone that complains about not being paid when in fact they were (and on time to boot). Complaints being sent without their double checking to make sure they were not paid.

My logic is if they are that careless with their own money and do not pay attention to the important details (like getting paid for their services) then they are likely going to be prone to mistakes when they are doing a signing.

We have little use in our professional network for people that are too careless & sloppy in their work habits and do not pay attention to IMPORTANT details.

Reply by sueharke on 8/19/12 1:26pm
Msg #431020

I have never worked for your company. I am a CPA who has sent people to the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) to learn how to run a business. The SBDC is a part of the Small Business Administration. If you really want to help newbie notaries or notaries who you say "do not pay attention to detail", try making an arrangement with the SBDC to advertise how to help, not just complain.

Is it possible your company thinks it sends clear communication to the notaries? Have you had an independent third party review your correspondence with notaries to make sure it is clear and understandable? If you cannot answer this question "yes", then I suggest finding the closest location of the SBDC and use their resources for your company to better your communication to notaries.

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 8/19/12 1:34pm
Msg #431022

We never use "newbie" signing agents, period.

I have been in the communications business for three decades. Our instructions to the experienced signing agents in our network are clear, concise and frequently complemented by signing agents for being clear, concise and not voluminous.

Reply by HisHughness on 8/19/12 2:50pm
Msg #431042

What communication is required?

You get a check. The stub carries the file number of the assigning company, the name of the borrower, the date of the signing, the amount of the payment. You get the check, you immediately enter it into your books as "Paid." If not immediately, you hold the check stub until the entry is made.

This is from someone who still uses Word documents to keep books, and who has on rare occasions failed to make those entries.

Knowing that I have sometimes failed to enter payment, if I have to make a payment inquiry, it is ALWAYS polite and respectful until it becomes apparent that payment has not been made. I am mindful that if it is my error that payment is not recorded, I have cost somebody time and effort to keep MY books straight.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/19/12 2:58pm
Msg #431046

Re: What communication is required?

>Knowing that I have sometimes failed to enter payment, if I have to make a payment inquiry, it is ALWAYS polite and respectful until it becomes apparent that payment has not been made. I am mindful that if it is my error that payment is not recorded, I have cost somebody time and effort to keep MY books straight.>

I am guilty of the above Hugh twice in 8 years. I searched my files high and low and could not find proof that I was paid. I did this BEFORE I called and inquired. I always call too, not email. I apologized over and over when they provided proof that I was paid. We are human too. We do and are going to make honest mistakes. We don't do it on purpose. Just take a peek at SC and for ex: look how many companies start with "Signature". I see 7 of them. Sometimes this is the problem with so many companies.

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 8/19/12 7:12pm
Msg #431075

His Hughness, what set me off what the "over the top" snotty and rude email about the non-payment of services (that were indeed paid for). In the most condescending manner you can imagine the idiot threw an email to me that asked if we always take this long to pay our signing agents.

As for as the CPA post goes, I did not know we were supposed to play "wet nurse" to supposed signing professionals and give lessons on how to run a business.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/19/12 11:21pm
Msg #431086

Sounds like the biggest problem is attitude. I agree that the snottiness, etc. is uncalled for - and not usually very effective. Besides, I think it's all too easy to make a mistake like that, especially during busy times, when we're hyper-focused on getting the job done right.

On the other side of this issue, though, I *have* seen check stubs from some companies (not Howard's) where I had to search to find out which assignment they paid for, sometimes using a process of elimination, then guessing. A couple of times that even included the name of the company, because checks were issued under a different name than that given when the assignment was accepted, so I had nothing to go on. Very aggravating!

Reply by CH2inCA on 8/19/12 2:52pm
Msg #431043

"Is it possible your company thinks it sends clear ..."

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to help 'the newbies'. But it CAN NOT be any clearer communication to me, Got a check=Got paid. How can that be unclear?

Then again I've been guilty of depositing a check or two and then finding that I didn't post it on my business software...bad on me. AND on the other side of the same coin, I've had companies pay me twice for the same job. ;0)

I can understand not putting up with nasty demand letters for payment. I'd never send out something like that; especially if there's any possiblity at all that it might be my error.

Reply by ananotary on 8/19/12 5:10pm
Msg #431056

I see where this is a problem, however... Maybe a bit like c n/m

Reply by ananotary on 8/19/12 5:16pm
Msg #431058

Re: I see where this is a problem, however... Maybe a bit like

Whoops...
A bit like cutting off your nose blah, blah, blah. Isn't it more important to have competent, knowledgeable notaries? Sadly, some of us are tech stupid and once in a while things fall through the cracks. Especially if you are dealing with 30 plus checks per month. Maybe instead of dropping presumably good notaries you should consider a more streamlined payment process? Like direct deposit? Not sure if that would help or not. As a small business, I'm pretty confident stating that it's possible that your company may have made an accounting mistake once or twice. Maybe.

Reply by sueharke on 8/19/12 5:29pm
Msg #431063

Re: I see where this is a problem, however... Maybe a bit like

This is the point I was trying to make earlier. Times change, people change, governmental rules change, and technology changes. Sometimes a business needs to look inside itself to see if there is a better way to do business with others, but can't see how because he or she is wearing blinders (I've been guilty of this too). It sometimes takes a second set of eyes to see what needs to be changed and how to make the change.

Reply by CJ on 8/19/12 11:59pm
Msg #431088

When I don't get paid.

I do my darnest to keep track of when I get paid. Every check I deposit, I enter the check number in my check register. Then, in my computer, I also enter the check number next to the borrowr's name. I also staple the work orders to the check stub and file it in may "paid" drawer.

But STILL, sometimes I overlook a check.

I call back nicely, or email or fax, and say that I have not been paid for the job. I give all the details that I can so they can look it up in their system.

About 50% of the time, I DID get paid, but I somehow lost the check stub. They say, "We paid you on check # 1234". I look in my check register, and I see I deposited it. I look in my paid file, and I have all the work orders stapled to the check except that one. One time I had no record of the check, and they cancelled it and re-issued it. When I moved years later, I found it had fallen behind the desk.

There is no point in having a hissy fit. Screaming and yelling at the SS only lets them know that you can't be professional in a stressful situation. Why should they hire you again? If you lost the check stub, you are only going to look foolish when you discover that you were paid. If they are not going to pay you, then stop working for them and / or sue them.

If I were an SS, and I was getting yelled at for an oversight that I am willing to fix, or I am getting yelled at for something I didn't even do, I would never hire those people again. No one likes getting yelled at, our jobs (and the jobs off SS) are stressful enough.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.