Notary Rotary
Whadda ya say .....
Notary Discussion History

Whadda ya say .....
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by GOLDGIRL/CA on 8/17/12 1:06pm
Msg #430819

Whadda ya say .....

to folks who just can't get their head around the concept of a notary coming to their house to sign loan papers?
All previous times, they went to their Realtor's office, the bank, the TC or their LO's office. Now, they're in one state, the LO is an internet broker who's gawd knows where, the lender hasn't been decided yet, the TC is 3,000 miles away, and everything's been done by phone and e-mail. One would think that would be enough explanation for them to see why somebody would be coming to their house for the loan signing; yet they can't seem to shake the brick 'n' mortar complex. So, besides saying, well, it's a new day or that's the way things are done now, is there a more professional-sounding explanation?

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/17/12 1:20pm
Msg #430828

I'm sure what you are doing now is fine for most of your Borrowers - however, there's always one in every crowd.

Here's my .02 worth: Technology has allowed us more options and competitive rates by being able to choose a lender any where in the country. Obviously they can not travel to you as that would increase costs.

I'm probably way off the mark!!

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/17/12 5:13pm
Msg #430865

Karla's right...so is everyone else n/m

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/17/12 11:43pm
Msg #430899

Thanks Lee! n/m

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 8/17/12 1:23pm
Msg #430833

After telling them about the internet background as you

state, I usually say that they have been doing a lot of in-home signings for the past decade in lieu of going to a title company because it is more convenient for the customer , and cheaper for the lender. Then with a wink, I ask, "Can you guess which reason is more important to them?"
That usually does the trick.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/17/12 1:37pm
Msg #430840

Re: After telling them about the internet background as you

Good one, Bob!

I had a similar question raised to me yesterday over the phone by a borrower when I called to confirm. He said "That's something new. I've always gone to someone else's office to sign the papers." I told him I'd been doing this for 10 years, so the concept has been around for a long time. We got a chuckle out of that. I also added something similar to what Bob said, about it being more of a convenience to the borrowers. Thankfully, he was fine with that, in fact seemed pleased. Everyone reacts differently.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 8/17/12 1:42pm
Msg #430841

sure it might be a convenience for the borrower but if they

knew how much they were actually paying for that convenience they might choose otherwise Smile

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 8/17/12 1:43pm
Msg #430842

I do, however, use that line myself :) n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 8/17/12 1:48pm
Msg #430843

Re: After telling them about the internet background as you

That's a great reply, Chicago Bob. Also, the point you made about the internet is good, too. Made me think that I could say something like: well, up to now, everything's been done by phone and internet but you can't sign loan docs over the internet (well, maybe in VA), so that's why a real-live person is coming to your house .....

Reply by Deborah Breedlove on 8/17/12 2:10pm
Msg #430844

I tell them the signing is scheduled to take place at their home for their convenience, and that in the internet age, it is very common for refinance signings to be done this way.

If they are still uncomfortable with it, I offer to do the signing in the conference room at my office. That way, they can see I am actually in business with a real brick and mortar building, where they can find me year round. They can also compare the address with the Yellow Pages listing. I totally leave it up to them, and they usually go ahead with the home signing at that point. I guess after I've told them all that they are more at ease. But iif they choose to come here, I don't complain!!

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/17/12 3:39pm
Msg #430858

<<<I tell them the signing is scheduled to take place at their home for their convenience,....>>>

I say the same and let them know if they would prefer to meet at Starbucks, the library or other public place, that would work. Only once has a borrower preferred to meet at Starbucks. All others appreciate the convenience of the in-home signing.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/17/12 6:48pm
Msg #430870

There could be any number of reasons. Some people are just very private and don't like strangers coming in to their homes. Others may have "logistical" issues that wouldn't make a home visit very pleasant.

I met with a couple recently who begged that I meet them at a restaurant rather than their home. This was actually a purchase. While we were there they said it was because the husband's sister and her 4 kids had moved in after the death of their father (military). This couple has 5 kids of their own.... so, needless to say, the place was full of children (all under 12) dealing with some heavy emotional trauma, etc. They were buying another home nearby and were going to be moving there so his sister could stay in the first one. This couple just wanted a good excuse to have a date night out without feeling guilty for disappearing for a few hours. Moving the signing helped them do that, and I could tell they were pretty stressed out, and thanked me over and over for the break. It didn't bother me any.

But even then, some people just don't want strangers in their home. It's not necessarily because they're hiding something. Although, once a guy made me meet him (for GNW) outside the front gate of his house and signed on the hood of my car. I'm pretty darn sure he was hiding something...he had big guard dogs, security cameras and he smelled like.... well... skunk. Later, my husband said it probably wasn't skunk, but pot. I have no clue what that smells like, but I know skunk.... and it smelled like roadkill skunk. I'm GLAD he kept me out of his house.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 8/17/12 6:54pm
Msg #430872

or maybe it just a messy house. I've had several borowers

request elsewhere because their house was messy. of course there are the one whose houses truly are a nightmare that I would have preferred not visiting but they seem to have no clue....

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/17/12 11:46pm
Msg #430900

Can you imagine having a signing at a hoarders home???!!! n/m

Reply by Buddy Young on 8/17/12 8:11pm
Msg #430880

Re: Pot smells like a skunk. n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 8/17/12 9:10pm
Msg #430891

No, it does not....it will dissapate shortly whereas skunk

is there for a lot longer.

I have heard that tomato juice gets rid of skunk odor - neutralizes it. Never having had occasion to try it, I hope you friend might and report on its effectiveness. I have always wondered about that.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/17/12 8:23pm
Msg #430883

Re: Whadda ya say ..... Skunkgate

My friend loves country living. Her house is an old one, cute, remodeled. It's up off the ground, of course. She is a youngster...only 35, thank goodness...this would do me in at my age.

I got an email from her last week telling me that now that "Skunkgate" was somewhat under control, we should meet for happy hour. We did, and, let me tell you, the tale that she told was horrifying.

Mrs. Mommy Skunk got under house in spite of all the precautions taken to keep the area secluded from wildlife. Mommy gave birth to a litter. Little skunks can release the fumes, too. Something happened and all seven skunks did exactly that. It has been a never ending nightmare for her. She has to keep all of her clothes in her vehicle in the bags from the cleaners. She leaves the house and showers at a friend's house each morning. She has to leave her purse outside, too. Otherwise, it carries "puffs" of stank in it. A cloud emerges from the purse to emit the odor to the room that it sits in. People draw back, repelled.

You cannot wash skunked textiles and put them in the dryer. You must hang them out to dry because the dryer seals in the stench. I could go on and on explaining how many things that she has done to rid her home of the skunk odor, but it has been a long and expensive process.

She carries dryer softener sheets in her purse and tucked into her clothes because she fears that she will carry that odor with her. She said that any thing that entered her home during this process immediately absorbed the odor.

I vote for skunk odor on the guy.

Reply by Sha/CA on 8/18/12 1:33am
Msg #430902

Growing pot in your yard will continue to smell like skunk! n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/18/12 11:04am
Msg #430933

LOL, I would not know that...nor would my friend, but

I will now tease her unmercifully about it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.