Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
What was so special about $60 deals yesterday?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 8/17/12 7:42am
Msg #430782

I had a call from FASS! Could not understand the schedulers name after three incoming calls, finally got he was calling from India. No thanks, my fee is $125 for edocs, not $60. I had three other calls for $60 work including edocs.

So what was so special about $60 yesterday? I hope you're all saying no to these ridiculous low ball offers.

You have no base on which to negotiate because the beginning offer is sucky and ridiculous. I'd like to know what numbskull is accepting this work for crying out loud!

Reply by Frank/NC on 8/17/12 8:42am
Msg #430785

We have plenty of new people down here who would probably do the closing for a box of Good N Plenty. We talk about this on this forum constantly but we still get new people asking how much to charge, where do I go to get business, etc. They have done little if any homework as to what this job is all about and they accept the paltry fees. We also have a bunch down here who have experience and accept the $40-60 jobs.

Reply by Treasure Valley Notary - Tina on 8/17/12 9:10am
Msg #430787

Sometimes we even need hazardous duty pay!

That is what I was originally offered from a SS for one of my signings yesterday. By the time I got to the signing I should have tacked on a hazardous duty fee to my base fee. In my 8+ years of doing this, and over 5,000 signings, I have never been talked to nor threatened like that before. I called to confirm a signing that was to be at noon, he was told 11 am. Livid does not even come close to describing his anger that I just could not make it at 11, but I could by 11:30. Thank goodness it was at a bank, or I would have never gone. Funny thing is that he threatened to call my employer and put in a formal complaint which may even have me being fired. REALLY! Funny, I know that I woke up being self employed. Does this mean that I now get paid vacation time?

I must say that the SS stepped up to the plate on this one and buffered the borrower. Everyone was thrilled that we got the job done, and with smiles on our faces. (Inside I wanted to throw his loan docs in the river, but of course . . . I did not - I remained the professional that I am).

By the time the signing was done he was a totally different man. I just hope that his behavior was uncharacteristic of him and I was just the poor person to get the brunt. $60 for a signing does not come close to what I bring to the table in the way of customer service, expertise, etc. Know what you are worth and stick to it. I personally turn down far more than I accept. Which is fine. But I also own other businesses, so not all of my eggs are in one basket.

Just wait till tax time and those that accept these ridiculous fees see what little they actually made for all the time and work they put into being a LSA. Reality can be very hard to swallow at times.

Reply by bfnotary on 8/17/12 11:16am
Msg #430805

Re: Sometimes we even need hazardous duty pay!

I have to agree, You will never see me ever taking a 60 dollar offer. That is just crazy, and most people don't realize you have to pay taxes on this at the end of the year. And if for some reason people don't report this income, the IRS will come back to haunt you. It makes me wonder why ss try to offer so little, do they not realize how much money we actually fork out, in gas alone, let alone self employment taxes,and supplies, etc. Shame on any new notary or seasoned, that accepts less than 100-125 at minimum, (which sometimes is still way to low).

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.