Notary Rotary
Whining . . .
Notary Discussion History

Whining . . .
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Karla/OR on 8/15/12 10:15am
Msg #430494

Whining . . .

Chase signing scheduled for 10 am this morning. No docs at 8 am. I returned the signing to them but always feel guilty in doing so. I know there have been many posts on here regarding late docs. Some of you take it in stride, print and run with the docs. I am not yet that proficient apparently. After printing, I like to review and place "Sign Here" stickies where appropriate. I have not missed a signature or initial yet, I believe, because of this habit.

I mentioned to the scheduler on the initial call that I would need the docs the day before and he said he would forward the info to the lender/TC. I called yesterday afternoon and evening advising I needed the docs, got the answer that they were still working on them. No guarantee when I would have them.

Wondering how many of you will validate what I did and how many would say they would have waited longer for the docs.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 8/15/12 10:27am
Msg #430496

Individuals do as they see fit. I have been signing for more than 10 years. If I don't have another signing, I will wait. It's not a problem for me. As for the stickies, you could sign without them. Just train yourself to be careful. Review the docs at the table and again when you get home. It doesn't take long to review the docs before you go to the signing to see if everything is there.

Reply by Jack/AL on 8/15/12 10:37am
Msg #430501

For me, the same as Karla.

If I have another appointment and cannot continue to wait for the late docs, I just let the SS/TC/borrower know that we'll have to do that one later in the day/evening. Then, If they decide to look for someone else, that's OK by me. Most prefer not to start looking for someone else, so late in the process.

Reply by Jack/AL on 8/15/12 10:39am
Msg #430503

Oooops! Meant to say "For me, the same as SHOSHANA." n/m

Reply by bfnotary on 8/15/12 11:07am
Msg #430515

Re: For me, the same as Karla.

I do the same thing, if late docs, i let company know that the only way I will be able to do that signing, is if I can squeeze it in around my other scheduled signings for the day. If not, they will have to find someone else.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 8/15/12 10:35am
Msg #430499

I don't see a problem with you turning it back

You gave them plenty of warning. They may not like it though, and may hold it against you in the future.

I typically ask for docs three hours in advance, and the appointment is only tentative on my schedule until such time that I've received docs.

I don't use the plastic sticky things--I did when I first started, but found that actually I made more errors this way (if I miss it in labeling, I'll miss it in signing and be lulled into a sense of complacency, but that's just me). Also, if a sticky falls off, that's bad too, and most signers seem overwhelmed by all of the stickers--it seems like it's better if they aren't always trying to guess how many are left. But again, that's just what works best for me.

I will only wait for late docs if there's nothing else on the calendar. Otherwise, I tell the TC I can get to them in my next availability but I will not schedule until docs are in hand, or they can have it back--their choice.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/15/12 10:38am
Msg #430502

I only require docs 2-3 hours before signing time

depending on length of travel and providing I have no other appointments. Do not require docs a day ahead of time - would be nice but not required. With no appts scheduled afterward I, personally, could have and would have waited a bit longer

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/15/12 10:48am
Msg #430507

Re: I only require docs 2-3 hours before signing time

The only time I require docs the day before is if it is an early 7-9 am signing time. I also look to see where the TC is. If they are in CA (pacific time) and I'm in IL (central time), there is a 2hr diff. When its 9 here its only 7 there.

Also, ditch those stickies. You can do it without them. Trust yourself. Go over the docs at the table and pay close attention.

Reply by ME/NJ on 8/15/12 10:52am
Msg #430509

Anything at 9-10am I require docs the night before.

I get my daughter ready in the morning and take her to school and camp. Most companies don't open till 8:30-9am est. So if no docs the night before, odds of you getting them before 7am is very slim.

Reply by ME/NJ on 8/15/12 10:48am
Msg #430508

Chase deals last month OMG nightmares

Had another one yesterday, person canceled 4 times and was about to do it again last night. All because no one will get back to him about his deal.

I get Chase loans from two places and everyone I need a drink when it is all said and done.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 8/15/12 11:05am
Msg #430513

I use stickies sparingly - however I find they are helpful with Chase docs in particular because there is an initial line on the signature page of DOT and Note. So those pages get signed AND initialed, which is not the norm with most every other lender and is easy to miss. Chase used to have an initial line on the 4506T but my two recent Chase packages did not have that on there anymore. Also Chase has initials on every page of the W-9, including page 1 signature page. Again, easy to miss because it's not the norm.

I also use stickies on the 1003 and HUD/VA Addendum for every package because signers don't know where to sign on those even after you point it out to them.

Like others I will probably be flexible if docs are late, providing that I don't have other appointments scheduled after that. Sometimes I don't have any other appointments, but I just don't feel like letting them jack me around all day. Been there, done that!

Reply by OR on 8/15/12 12:04pm
Msg #430518

Re: Whining . . .and then--I was so mad--Some Title people.

I had that happen the other day. I got a call at 8 AM for my 10 AM changed time to 5 PM . Was told that title had no docs and could not get ahold of lender. No docs come in all day. I call Title 2 hours before the signing time and Title said to standby, I call 1 hour before signing time, again I am told standby. It was 20 minutes before the signing and called Title again. I was told to call back in 5 minutes. I do call back, I get told not to yell at her by the and I did not yell. I tell her I was told to call back in 5 minutes, that is what I am doing. I tell her I do not know why but I am calling back. She put me on hold for 6 minutes. Then tells me the loan is canceled because they did not hear form the lender. I ask if she is going to call the SS and let them know. I tell her they have been hanging all day too so I will call the borrower. I was just being nice by helping them out. The nest morning I get an email from the SS. They tell me if I ever call the borrower and let them know that their loan cancels they will fire me. That I am to let the SS take care of it. I tell them ok and file the email away so I will have it if I ever need it in the future. I also kept the Title Co phone number so If I ever have to call them again...I am going to report everything that Title does next time...Nothing like taking everything out on the Notary.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/15/12 12:14pm
Msg #430521

Karla - My suggestion is to go page by page with the borrower. All 100-200 pages. Train yourself to look for each line, it is faster than placing stickies.

When I first started signing as an independent signing agent, my husband had just died and I was overwhelmed by everything and I had been homemaker for several years. I was rusty. I was certainly overwhelmed by the huge stacks of loan documents. I decided that the best way for me personally was to turn each page in the package. (I rarely change the order that the documents come in, except to put the Notice of Right/Rescission on top, then the Settlement Statement, and the Note, if I have time to rearrange them. Nobody cares after that, usually. But, putting them in order is not necessary for me. I have had few problems.)

Part of my script has always been: "We are going to turn every page through this stack--I promise you that we will get through it quicker, more accurately and efficiently than if we try to look for the signature lines at the end of the document."

I had not done a signing in awhile, but I was recently reminded that it is like riding a bicycle. Once you have your rhythm down, you have it.

I recently did a signing for a friend. He missed several signatures with stickies placed on the documents by the lender. Several were without stickies. Experience drew my eye to every signature line in each document.

I have seen my way duplicated by escrow officers and attorneys. Many professionals also use this page/by/page technique.

I do not think that you are wrong to turn it back if you have given fair warning that you need documents within a certain time frame.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/15/12 12:16pm
Msg #430522

ps

I always have tried to go through the documents twice before leaving the table if time was not an issue.

Reply by bagger on 8/15/12 12:37pm
Msg #430525

I use 1 sticky

I flag where the RTC is in the BO's copies so they can find it.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 8/15/12 12:40pm
Msg #430526

I put borrowers' copies of RTC right on top of their pkg n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 8/15/12 1:11pm
Msg #430531

I do that - after they sign them. n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 8/15/12 1:15pm
Msg #430533

I was not done. New computer - super sensitive....

I use no stickies...someone sent my seller a package over the week-end all cluttered up with a dozen different kinds of flags - poor 93 yr. old woman is signing over the stickies on the line... As far as I'm concerned, they are a waste of money and my time.

One page at a time: BO signing, I'm looking next page...slow and easy...

Reply by MW/VA on 8/15/12 2:46pm
Msg #430548

I don't think you were wrong in turning the signing back

if they didn't get you docs & assumed you would "go with the flow". Late docs can become a habit, and turning it back means you're not the one left holding the bag. Frankly, I think we need to do that more often. There are notaries that have posted that they have "drop dead" times for docs--if they don't have them at least 2 hrs. prior to the appt. they don't yield to the "whenevear the docs are ready" schedule nightmares.
EOM is a different story, of course, because late docs are more understandable.
As far as stickies are concerned, I don't use them. I wouldn't have time to prep the pkgs. that way. I go through each page of the loan pkg. with the borrowers, point to where they need to date & sign, etc. I also double-check the pkg. before shipping. IMO it's all about creating a habit, and it's become second-nature for me to spot where sigs. go.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/15/12 3:01pm
Msg #430553

Continue using stickies if....

...it helps you. Ditch the stickies only when YOU feel you don't need them. After almost five years, on rare instances, I will use stickies. Printing and running is *not* something I do. I take time to review the docs. Depending on my schedule, it could have gone either way - may have waited for the docs or may have returned the signing. Your policy is *your* policy and so long as you let the hiring party know ahead of time, you're good to go.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 8/15/12 3:41pm
Msg #430560

I'd say you were perfectly justified in turning it back.

Personally, I have a minimum 4-hour window requirement. In some cases, I require up to 24 hours, especially if I'll be dealing with extended travel. And yes, I've even had overnight travel for some of my signings, especially if I take multiple assignments in the same area. It's not unusual for for me to require 6-8 hours notice...and it is primarily related coordinating travel. I will agree to under 4 if I've got nothing to do and it's right nearby... but that's pretty rare. In my case, the company always knows my time window WELL in advance and before I ever agree to take a job.

This happened to me just on Monday, too. I don't play the waiting game for docs. I just don't. I have a business to run, and they need to get me their docs to me when they promise them. It's pretty simple.

With Monday's appointment, the closing coordinator KNEW that I had to have the docs by 8am or I'd cancel it. Now, that's 8am pacific time... these guys are on the east coast so they had PLENTY of time. The scheduler knew it and even sent a reminder email to the closing coordinator last Friday (I was CC'd) that I would pull out if I didn't get them. I sent a reminder email at 7am.... 10am their time. Never got them.... I even waited a full 15 minutes past the deadline before I pulled the plug. The docs showed up 15 minutes later, after I'd walked out the door. (In the summer here I can't run my printer in the car because of the heat...I've fried two printers already.)

Turns out, the scheduler told me, that they'd had the file ready ALL WEEKEND LONG and didn't bother to send them. Whoops, they forgot. Well you know what? Too bad.

I offered to do it later that evening and they tried to reschedule with the borrower for a time I was available but it didn't work out. The scheduler understood, even said, "I *told* her it would happen. She's known for 4 days that this would happen." This particular scheduler knows I don't mess around and knows to call me days in advance to get on my schedule. Same day signings rarely ever happen with me... and it's only because of travel. Fortunately, this scheduler knows I do not take turning back assignments lightly. I only do it when I've exhausted all other options. I know some companies would put a mark on your record for that... but in my case.... I felt it totally justified. They lost me because of their closing coordinator's inattention and laziness. The scheduler was on my side... and I felt really bad for her because she then had to scramble to find someone else.

My window is probably bigger than most because I work in a very rural, geographically large and desolate place. If I were back in the city or suburbs, I wouldn't need as much notice.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.