Notary Rotary
Whining . . . (Part two)
Notary Discussion History

Whining . . . (Part two)
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Karla/OR on 8/16/12 3:17am
Msg #430642

Whining . . . (Part two)

My post (#430494) was about to drop off the page - before it did I wanted to respond to your comments.

I learned so much today from all of your posts and will take much of it to the way I do signings now - THANK YOU.

Also, here is an update regarding my whining this morning (no docs at 8 for a 10 signing - I returned signing to the SS - they said they would find another Signing agent):

I got a call at 10:30 saying the BO's were there and asking why I was not. I told them the reason and even offered to come do it NOW that the docs were ready! They said they would check on their end first. Never heard back from them.

Shortly after I get a call wanting me to sign in the next half hour! I decided to heed the advice from the forum and just print and go - NO "Sign Here" stickies - and carefully review the docs with the BO at the table.

It went fine in spite of some nerves (that I was taking too long to check for signature and initial lines)! The BO actually caught two that I initially overlooked so he was a big help! I always ask the BO to be my second set of eyes and look for the areas to sign or initial.

So my only though now is that I accepted a signing that perhaps another notary turned away because of lack of docs - I don't know that for sure but it makes sense when the SS calls you and needs you there in a half hour!! I agree with some of you that turning back signings at the last minute teach the SS a lesson, or does it????!!

I was actually a half hour late for the signing because of print and travel time. I called the BO to let them know of the delay and they had no issue with it. It all seems to work out, doesn't it?

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/16/12 5:35am
Msg #430645

I don't think that turning the signing back teaches them a lesson. It's rarely their fault, or that of the TC, that the documents are not in hand. They don't sit on them. They have to do the best that they can do.

Karla - I learned from Bob/Chicago to always ask when confirming the appointment if the Borrowers have flexibility in their schedules. Let them know that your failure to arrive on time may be the result of delayed documents and that it is not related to your scheduling (not your fault). If you have flexibility and they do, accept late documents and push the time back. Find out how many calls they want to be apprised of the late documents, or if they just want to know when you have them and are on the way.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 8/16/12 6:38am
Msg #430650

Agree w/Brenda - one tiny added tip about stickies

I recommend removing them before returning the pkg., as they don't score you any points with the title company. They have to be removed before scanning, and if they miss one - messes up the scan & that's not fun.

Having trained closers in one of my other lives, I would never have allowed the use of stickies as it trains your eye/confidence to rely upon one thing (the sticky), rather than training your eye/confidence to spot the signature/initial places (even lacking a line) instead. As others have said, if you take one page at a time - watch it being executed, check it, place it upside-down in a 'done' pile - you will be training yourself to rely upon the ONLY thing you can ever really count on, your own self. =)

Reply by Lee/AR on 8/16/12 7:25am
Msg #430654

Re: Agree w/Brenda, Renee..except that...

Sometimes they DO sit on 'em...forget to send 'em or something. I often am traveling long distances on rotten AR roads and so give them a 'drop dead time' for docs that is well before the 'magic' 2 hours (ha).

As my drop dead time approaches, I will call to let them know, once again, that I will cancel unless I have docs within the next 1/2 hr or so. Often, I'm barely off the phone when they bling in.

I also do ask B's about flexibility during the confirmation call and that also is a determining factor in whether or not to cancel--something I avoid if at all possible.

Reply by EastTxNotary on 8/16/12 8:13am
Msg #430658

Re: Agree w/Brenda, Renee..except that...

I agree with everything stated by the above great NotRot minds. One more tip I have learned is to proof your package back to front. You know that cute email with the letters all mixed up in the words and yet you can still read it? Same thing if you proof front to back...your mind "assumes" some things. If you proof back to front you're not "reading" exactly so it isn't as easy for you mind to fill in blanks for you.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/16/12 8:45am
Msg #430659

So true, EastTxNotary...

I proof from the bottom up, right to left, as I flip that turned over stack. It is the 'oldest' paper I have worked on first; last page is again last.

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/16/12 11:10am
Msg #430679

I like your idea! n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/17/12 6:41am
Msg #430779

Great advice, EastTx. n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 8/16/12 10:01am
Msg #430667

If you end up late for an appt. because of late docs, time

to print them, & travel that is pretty much SOP. I always keep the borrowers advised in these situations--communication is key. I also apologize for any inconvenience, even when it's not my fault. Apologies go a long way is easing tension.
BTW, I saw a note from one of the ss the other day that said, "Don't tell the borrowers that the docs are late--it upsets the lender". LOL

Reply by Sharon Spence on 8/16/12 10:29am
Msg #430670

Re: If you end up late for an appt. because of late docs, time

I've seen that "don't tell borrowers docs are late" instruction, too. And even if they don't actually forbid you to say that, they can still get mad when you do as I think Pat/WA posted recently. In any case, just say the docs haven't been "released" yet; or you're waiting for docs to be "released." And as soon as they are "released" and you've printed, you'll be on your way (right after the other two signings you have!). Obfuscation is the key, here, apparently.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/16/12 10:33am
Msg #430671

Once again, I think it's all in how you handle the situation

This is the nature of the biz, and it's just a reality check. I've never had any issues with borrowers having a major problem with docs are running late. After all, I'm the one who ends up dealing with the extra stress, not the borrowers. ;-)

Reply by ikando on 8/16/12 10:54am
Msg #430674

Re: If you end up late for an appt. because of late docs, time

Sharon, I love your obfuscation comment. I usually tell people that I haven't received the docs yet. If they haven't been sent, or I haven't got access to them, it's all the same.

And as others have stated, keeping the borrower in the loop has served me well. I had one closing that was put off for over a week, one day at a time, but because I kept the BO informed, they were content.

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/16/12 11:12am
Msg #430682

Great advice! n/m

Reply by Karla/OR on 8/16/12 11:13am
Msg #430683

Sorry meant the "Great advice" for Sharon. n/m

Reply by bagger on 8/16/12 11:18am
Msg #430686

Upset lenders

Well, having been in sales most of my life, this is Just My Humble Opinion.
It should be the lender's responsibility to notify the BO when and if doc's are late.
The lender is the "salesperson" and the BO is their customer.
If they want repeat business (keep the customer for refi's, Heloc's, etc.), iy would behoove them to keep the customer happy.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/16/12 3:43pm
Msg #430727

Re: Upset lenders

That makes too much sense, bagger! Seems many of them would rather just have the notary take the heat. When they include that statement about not telling the borrowers the documents are late, it makes you wonder what they expect us to say. Wink

Frankly, though, as Sharon noted, sometimes it IS all in the words we choose. The word "late" has negative connotations, so I do understand not saying that specifically. I generally just tell people that I don't have them yet and leave it up to them to draw their own conclusions. IF the borrower questioned further, I would just refer them to their LO. (Sometimes that person is able to grease the skids a little at their end, especially if it's a HUD approval that's holding up the works.)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.