Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
laser printer w/ dual tray recomendations?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Kathleen Murphy on 8/25/12 4:59pm
Msg #432004

Hi there, I'm ready to buy a new laser printer w/ dual try. Anyone have an love the Brother 5370 ?

I dont need an all in one(have an HP inkjet I really like for that) -just need a new monochrome laser printer with a good paper feed and dual tray

who loves their printer and can give some other recommedations? THANKS!

Reply by Linda Juenger on 8/25/12 5:10pm
Msg #432006

After being an HP 4100 owner for 6 years I was reading all the comments about the brother 5370 printer I bought one. Dual tray and all. Well, let me tell ya, I can't wait to get rid of the thing. I wish now I would have taken it back the first time I printed a pkg out. It just does not come close to an HP. Its the cheapest made piece of crap I've ever owned. When I pull the trays out to put paper in, I'm so afraid I'm going to break them, that's how cheaply made they are. With my HP, I could print a pkg and the pages were neatly stacked. With this 5370, it just spits them out and you can keep hitting them on a table trying to get them neatly stacked together. If you don't put the paper in right, the paper curls. Even put in right, the paper is still bent from going around the drum. I must say though that the print is very good. I hate this machine and can't wait to get an HP again. Putting this one up for sale very shortly. And that's my honest opinion and I'll tell you how I really feel if you ask. LOL

Reply by Kathleen Murphy on 8/31/12 3:57pm
Msg #432669

hey guys-thanks to all of you for input on the printer question! Quite a debate isnt it!

Reply by JENNY/TX on 8/25/12 5:25pm
Msg #432009

I have 2 5370's (dual trays) that I have been using for 3 yrs. I don't love them but they do a good quick job. I refill my toner to save money.

Jenny

Reply by Barb25 on 8/25/12 6:18pm
Msg #432013

What are you using now? n/m

Reply by sueharke on 8/25/12 6:38pm
Msg #432017

Re: What are you using now?

Since I don't have a dual tray printer and don't plan to buy one, I purchased "print separator" software. It works for me. Also, if you get a "secured" or "password protected" software, download "win2pdf" software to make it work with print separator. I know it takes times to merge the two sets of letter and legal, but when I don't have the space for another printer, it is faster for me to use the new softrware.

Reply by sueharke on 8/25/12 7:30pm
Msg #432025

Information from tech support at Page Separator when it did not open my Provident secured file:

During our testing we did plenty of provident docs but lenders, Title, and Escrow change their security settings all the time. The official answer is below, as well as a work around. It's funny that you caught us in the office on a weekend, we're here with the developers working on some additional tools that could possibly help with this. Smile

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.......

Separator works on all sorts of PDF files, even ones with passwords, we tested lots of them. However there are some PDF files that have been locked out so that only a printer can interpret them. In almost every case we've seen it's when a file has to have a special driver installed to open them. If that's the case our software (and anyone's for that matter) will not be able to access them.

A great work around:

It goes outside of what we could support you on but there are free printer emulators out there (like Bullzip or Win2PDF) that after being installed show up in your "print to" window along with your other printers. When you select "bullzip" instead of your printer it will wait a few seconds then a little window pops up and says "save as". Save that PDF to your desktop. Then drag that PDF file into separator, it works really well! Bullzip (which is free) is our favorite but Win2PDF (also free) works as well...

www.bullzip.com
http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/download.php

or

www.win2pdf.com
http://www.win2pdf.com/products/win2pdf.htm

Reply by OnTheDot_CO on 8/25/12 9:02pm
Msg #432039

Thanks for the heads up on the "Page Seperator" software. I just bought the professional version after my legal tray just started acting up after 8 years of use. I will be using this from now on. Thanks.

Reply by sueharke on 8/25/12 9:28pm
Msg #432041

You're welcome. Sharing is what this forum is for.

Reply by Frank/NC on 8/25/12 8:00pm
Msg #432032

Have always used HP laser printers. The p2055dn dual tray has been excellent and prints about 30 pages per minute. Also have 2 2015X dual tray printers. They are a little slower but are real workhorses. Never used Brother but from this forum they don't get good reviews.

Reply by Barb25 on 8/25/12 8:01pm
Msg #432034

I have a HP 4250 dual tray that I have been using for years. (I also have/had a HP 1360 dual tray laser printer for back up that I recently gave away). The 4250 is a workhorse no doubt.

Early this week we had yet another storm and I think my house was hit by lightening. In any event I lost a TV, 2 garage door openers and alas after much testing I realized the USB port in my beloved 4250 was shot. OMG end of month and quite a few jobs scheduled. I thought about it and ordered a parallel to USB adapter from Amazon overnight and said a prayer. Anyhow it works. I also ordered a printer on Ebay... Another 4250 from a seller in Maryland. I did this because I didn't know (1) if the parallel to USB was going to work and (2) how stable the printer was going to be.

This is where it gets interesting. I sent the seller an email asking when I could expect my 4250. He told me to call him. When I called and told him my problem he proceeded to tell me I didn't need a new printer. Can you believe a seller telling you that... He said I could have just bought a formatter board and gone network. I told him I just did the conversion to hold me over. He said it would last forever. I told him I really was due for a maintenance and he said I could have done that and it wouldn't have cost that much. He could have walked me through it. I then said Who knew I was going to meet a nice guy like you. LOL. Go figure. Anyway I am not sorry I bought it. I may fix my old one or sell it to him.

My point is that the 4250 is a good printer for me. I love it. If anyone is interested in a refurbished printer or parts, he carries various HP, Brother and other printers.

Reply by OnTheDot_CO on 8/25/12 9:17pm
Msg #432040

Barb, what is his name and information. My HP Laserjet 1300 might need a little TLC. You can message it to me if you would like

Reply by Louis Pescarmona on 8/25/12 10:12pm
Msg #432045

Barb25, Why not give some info on this guy. He deserves some of our business.

Reply by Barb25 on 8/25/12 11:50pm
Msg #432049

Absolutely, he is on Ebay as orionmarket. He is Orion Printers and Parts in Maryland. Let me know if you have trouble finding it or want more info. He has and ebay store. This is my first experience with him the experience has be great so far.

Reply by jnew on 8/26/12 11:59am
Msg #432069

I have been an advocate of the Brother printers because of the pricing. I bought a 5370 dual tray online two months ago from Amazon for $225.00 It has full duplexing. I had a 5250 prior to that and I had issues with curling and sheet stacking. The 5370 has paper guides that solved the curling and stacking problem. (it also is a summer humidity issue). The brother toner is expensive. I buy from Office Max or Office Depot through EC Purchasing for around $110.00 for the TN650 large capacity. Then last week I was in Sam's Club and saw it on the shelf for $86.00 (bought it immediately) My 5250 was fine for around five years and I expect to get at least that on the 5370. I have had no feeding problems with this. I had a feeding problem with the 5250 but that was because I bought no-name paper at Sam's Club for 25.00 a ten ream case. When I switch to Georgia Pacific it went away. The 5370 also can be used on a wireless network.

Reply by Art_PA on 8/27/12 8:43am
Msg #432100

Check out refurbished HP 4200, 4250, 4300 or 4350 TN or DTN on EBay from a reputable refurbisher. Some don't always have a good low page count one available. These are high speed, machines rated for over 20,000 copies per month, and are much better made that the consumer models. Remanufactured or compatible toners are available at reasonable cost from many sources.

My 4350 does about 50 copies/minute.

These are usually available for between $200 to $500 depending on the model. The extra $$ is well worth getting a newer model, particularly at the end of the month when you are busy. You should be sure that the machine is refurbished and has had the service kit installed, and that you are buying from a seller who does this for a living, not a machine from a seller no in the business.

I have purchased from Orion Market & found them to be reputable, however they don't always have the model you want available.

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 8/27/12 2:59pm
Msg #432138

Kat there is no better printer for the money.

Reply by NotaryGirl71 on 8/28/12 12:48pm
Msg #432254

Lexmark E240

Go to Ebay and buy a slightly used one...you can find a dual one for under $100. Have been using this model for 7 years. Have had to replace it twice, but just the top part not the 2nd drawer. Just replaced the top part for $21 and $20 shipping on E-Bay...get my toner refil from:
www.TonerRefillKits.com

Save your money and get this printer...it's great!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.