Notary Rotary
non-borrowing spouse
Notary Discussion History

non-borrowing spouse
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 8/30/12 2:35pm
Msg #432554

non-borrowing spouse

Help me settle a dispute. Does a non-borrowing spouse sign the documents on an investment property in the state of Washington?

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 8/30/12 2:51pm
Msg #432557

ASK TC if you don't know.

I can't believe that you've been a notary for so long in WA and hyou don't know. That is very fundamental.

Reply by pat/WA on 8/30/12 2:57pm
Msg #432559

Re: ASK TC if you don't know.

If you would read everything in my statement, you would know the answer to your snide remarks.

Reply by Ronnie_WA on 8/30/12 3:38pm
Msg #432562

Yes.

Reply by Ronnie_WA on 8/30/12 3:44pm
Msg #432564

I should be more specific. Yes, unless directed otherwise by TC. Although an investment property be held as sole and separate on title, we have no way of knowing if the couple has intermingled funds in such a manner as to create a community property interest for the spouse. That's why we either see a spousal QCD at refi, or a signing of standard non-borrowing spouse docs. This is always to be at the direction of the escrow officer as you, as a Notary, should not assume to get those signatures if not so directed as you are not required to have such extensive knowledge. Hope this helps.

Reply by Ronnie_WA on 8/30/12 4:15pm
Msg #432567

Another point. We have a national title company whose local offices always get the QCD or spousal sigs. However, that same title company - on the national level - dealing with someone in another state, absolutely will not permit spousal sigs. I just double check with them to assure myself they haven't made an oversight and are simply following this unwise procedure. If they don't want the sigs, its their prerogative and their pocketbook that's exposed, not mine. I follow their instructions.

Reply by BrendaTx on 8/30/12 5:17pm
Msg #432570

pat/WA of WA on 4/30/10 6:47pm Msg #334401

Re: State of Washington
Posted by pat/WA of WA on 4/30/10 6:47pm Msg #334401
As it turned out the refi was an investment property and not a principal residence. Therefore, title advised the borrower that his wife did not have to sign.
An interesting note is that his wife had signed a quit claim deed transfering the title to him as his sole property in 1994.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.