Notary Rotary
why even leave a message
Notary Discussion History

why even leave a message
Go Back to August, 2012 Index

Posted by Joe/NC on 8/29/12 3:47pm
Msg #432414

why even leave a message

It really gets me when a title company calls for a closing and call gets picked up by your voice mail. they leave a message asking if you can do a closing for this week at a certain time and mumble who they are and their phone number. you call back after trying 20 times to decipher who they are and what the number is only to hear OH wew already got someone.

Why the hell do they bother to leave a message?
this just happened a few minutes a go im in my office downstairs in my house and my cell sends me a signal I have a voice mail, I call back and try to get the number and its filled. I can really use all the signings I can get this month has been slow.

I told the person my cell doesnt always pick up inside the house and please call my home number when you cant reach my cell, if I dont answer iM in my house with poor reception..

just blowin some steam.

Joe/NC

Reply by NJDiva on 8/29/12 3:52pm
Msg #432415

Awe, I certainly understand, Joe. It's so frustrating.

I've had the same experience.

Reply by jba/fl on 8/29/12 3:59pm
Msg #432416

This is such a common lament. I feel for you. n/m

Reply by DaveCA/CA on 8/29/12 4:34pm
Msg #432420

Forward your phone to the home phone.

It is real easy to do. Then, when you leave, just unforward. Maybe this will work for you. I don't think most people are willing to try several numbers to get a hold of you. Good luck.

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 8/29/12 9:49pm
Msg #432449

Re: Forward your phone to the home phone.

Thank you for that sensible and practical post Dave.

Reply by MW/VA on 8/29/12 4:48pm
Msg #432421

Unless it's one of my regs that I know will wait to hear

from me, I'm not bothering to return those calls anymore. It's a waste of time.
I'm wondering if the folks at the call center in India get paid if we call back. ;-) LOL

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/29/12 5:19pm
Msg #432427

Last time someone posted about this type of problem, I believe there was discussion about some kind of signal booster. You might want to do a search here to read more about it or research that possibility on your own. The schedulers are probably just trying to hedge their bets in case they can't find anyone else, but they're still going to keep trying as soon as they hang up.

The key is to be able to answer the call when it first comes in, as you probably realize. Another thing to try is leaving your phone somewhere where you get the best reception and wearing a Bluetooth device to answer. My condo isn't huge, but I've missed calls in the past by leaving my phone in the bathroom, for example, when I'm in my office or vice versa. Wink I nearly always have the Bluetooth earpiece growing out of my head now, so I rarely miss calls, unless I'm on the move and out of signal range. 'Course, you could have a reception problem with that, as well.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 8/29/12 6:18pm
Msg #432431

I don't know why they bother to leave a message, because 99.9% of the time if you call back (even if it's in a minute or two of the message), they'll tell you they already have someone else. You'll do better if you just ignore those messages. The only time you might consider calling back is if they leave a second message for the same job (they're desperate); other than that, it's just some idiot scheduler who feels a need to leave a message when they get voice mail...

If you can't pick up on the first ring, the job has probably gone to someone else.That's the way this business works.

Reply by HisHughness on 8/29/12 6:45pm
Msg #432434

Got to disagree

I return all calls, even if no message has been left. Odds are better than even if I return the call immediately, I'm hired. Even if it is some time later and there is no message, you are letting the scheduler know that he is on your radar. I never miss returning a call unless it is a known deadbeat, and even then, if the company's reputation is bad enough, sometimes I'll call back just for the pleasure of telling them why I'm not going to take an assignment from their pissant company.

Reply by ajd/pa on 8/29/12 8:03pm
Msg #432438

Re: Got to disagree

I agree with HisHughness here. It bugs me when companies call and don't leave a message. I realize that if too much time has gone by, the job will be assigned, but I would rather know who the call is from. I always try to call back whoever called me (unless I know it is a low-pay or deadbeat co) just to let them know that I got the message.

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 8/29/12 10:00pm
Msg #432451

Good for you HisHughness.

There are time we will leave a message when we have the luxury of time to cover an appointment and can wait for a return phone call. We often leave messages for our regulars and tell them the time we called and how long we will wait before calling someone else for coverage.

Yesterday we gave out 4 assignments to people (not in the ranks of our regulars) that called back in a short time frame. Today we gave an assignment to someone that we did not leave a message for, but they saw the incoming call on their phone and called back asking if we just called them and BINGO they got the assignment. I guess all those people that don't return calls are too rich to return calls for paying assignments but seem to have an infinite amount of time to grouse in Notary Talk.

I enjoy reading many of your posts HisHughness puts up here. Keep it up dude!

Reply by bfnotary on 8/30/12 6:05am
Msg #432468

I always return my calls as well, message or no message. I see the number and I call. I would say about maybe 40 or 50 % of the time, I call fast enough to get the job.

Reply by Frank/NC on 8/29/12 8:46pm
Msg #432442

I don't know who your cell provider is. However, my carrier is Verizon and I also had little if any service in my house. I got an extender from Verizon for about $260 that has greatly increased the strength of the incoming signal. I know that AT&T also has an extender and other providers may also have them. There are other sellers of extenders on E-Bay but I would advise to get it directly from your provider if perhaps you do get one.

Reply by Doris_CO on 8/29/12 11:49pm
Msg #432458

I have the same problem with reception at my house. I've learned that not all phones receive the same amount of reception. A number of years ago I decided to upgrade my phone and I ordered a phone over the web from Verizon. It was a dud. The phone wouldn't ring in the house but if a message was left then the phone would make a sound. I tried two different phones from the Verizon web site and sent them both back because of reception problems. I finally went to a Verizon store and while looking at all the phones lined up on the wall, I noticed that not all the phones had all the bars showing. I've found that Samsung models work the best for my area. LG are the worst.

Reply by Barb25 on 8/30/12 11:09am
Msg #432501

That is really interesting, Doris

I do notice that sometimes with my phone right next to me, my call will go right to voice mail and I get a notification and the phone did not even ring. Strange things these cellphones

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.