Msg #409396

Thank you so very much Rhonda. n/m

Reply by garland/CA on 1/18/12 7:54pm
Msg #409412

thank you so much! n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/18/12 11:10pm
Msg #409424

I found a couple of things ....

very valuable, including the part about stapling loose-leaf acks/jurats to the document. Several loan doc recipients have, over the years, included instructions NOT to staple our certificates to the docs, but to use paper clips or even nothing at all. One SS owner told me that the TC he worked for told him to spread the word that notaries who stapled would be fired. But the SOS clearly says staples must be used. I also liked the part that said the ack/jurat, seal and signature must be on the same page. Occasionally, I have seen the ack/jurat on one page and our signature line on another ...

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/19/12 12:12am
Msg #409430

And furthermore ....

I also foudn valuable the part about how our seal has to be entirely on the same page as our certificate. Over the years it has been written here that in an effort to deter fraud a notary will place their stamp on two pages ... and one would have to line up the two pages to get the complete stamp. That way supposedly one could detect if the stamp went with the doc. The SOS now rules that's a no-no. I just had notary tell me the other day that how he notarizes his GNW docs... half the stamp will be on one page, the other half on another ...

Reply by NJDiva on 1/19/12 9:16am
Msg #409438

CA Notaries are very fortunate to have set guidlines

and specific directions on how to fulfill your duties. To have it in writing AND training (albeit not ALWAYS accurate or the best) makes it all the more beneficial.

Most of us (can I say that?) do not have such education. Many things are not necessarily broken down to that extent. Which is exactly why (I realized) Michael E. took issue when there was all that controversy over the webcam notarizations...can I assume and say that Mike-do you recall those posts?

Reply by ikando on 1/19/12 11:28am
Msg #409444

Re: CA Notaries are very fortunate to have set guidlines

Because we have no training, and really no instructions on how to handle notary work, or even what is a valid ID, I've been trying to get changes to how the notary laws and procedures are handled here in Oklahoma for some time. I am forwarding the CA SOS newsletter to the representative I've been working with, as well as to the SOS. Perhaps if they see what other states are doing, the tide will turn.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/19/12 6:52pm
Msg #409482

Re: CA Notaries are very fortunate to have set guidlines

You might also mention to them that it doesn't have to be a hugely costly undertaking, either. As someone else said, the CA SOS used to mail out the newsletters, but since they've been hit so hard by budget cuts, all they do now is post the information on their website - which has to be less expensive (certainly, at least, here) than a mailing to every notary in the state. The downside of that is that the ones who really need to receive the info probably aren't checking in with them very often. An email list is another relatively inexpensive approach, although there would be some cost, of course, to maintain a database.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.