Notary Rotary
9pm signing??????
Notary Discussion History

9pm signing??????
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Q_in_Sac/CA on 7/14/12 12:20am
Msg #426793

9pm signing??????

I'm new to the game. A 9pm signing? Is this SOP (standard operating procedure)?

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/14/12 12:43am
Msg #426795

Well, no, but ...

it's not unheard of by any means. Over the past few months, I've had several 8 pm. signings, a 9 pm., a 10 pm., and an 11 p.m. The 11 pm was for a prison guard who just got off work. Most of them are for people who have weird work hours. Being a night owl, I'd much rather have a later nighter than anything at 7 or 8 a.m. Yuk!

Reply by sealed/CA on 7/14/12 12:50am
Msg #426797

Re: Well, no, but ...

I had a 9:00 p.m. tonight. It was either sign tonight or early tomorrow. Personally, I would rather stay up late than have to get up early. : )

Reply by HisHughness on 7/14/12 12:54am
Msg #426800

No, that's not unusual. When you confirm, you just need to determine if the borrower is a C&W, pop, or alternative devotee, and take along the right mood disc plus a good bottle of red, some brie, and your toothbrush and PJs.

Make sure the signer does not fill out the customer satisfaction survey till the next morning.

Happy signing.

Reply by Buddy Young on 7/14/12 2:54am
Msg #426810

Another reason there are late night signings is that they don't get their stuff together and it's the last day of a rate lock. They have to get it done right now or lose it. Yea they do wait until the last minute sometimes.

Reply by NJDiva on 7/14/12 7:15am
Msg #426815

To me, it's not uncommon...

Quite often I do 8:30 signings. What's the difference really? As was mentioned, I've done up to midnight (of course it had to be completed by midnight or it's considered the next day). Rarely have I done any past 10 but it's not unheard of, and I would do them if I needed to and for the right price.

I had a title company call me just as I walked in the door from an 8:30 closing, had to be around 10 telling me it was an emergency. They got their doc's late and needed it done that night. The people were going out of town and it had to be signed before they left.

The owner got on the phone begging me saying he would pay any price. This was one of my favorite company's so I really wanted to help even though I was exhausted. It was only a 10 minute drive for me, so I took it. I arrived to them about 11:15. I was expecting to tell them we were going to have to point and sign because we were very limited on time. HATE to just point and sign, but I was prepared to do so. When I got there, I realized that I knew these bo's because I had done a closing for them the year before. We had a great experience then, so I knew it was going to move along nicely. They trusted me because they knew that I was thorough but also they too, wanted to get it done before they went away. They just had me point and sign and I was in and out of there in 25-30 min's. Got a few hundred for that one and it was another great experience.

I must say that I always get nervous when it's a last minute late night because there are generally problems, but this was incredibly smooth and I was paid two weeks later! Get any better than that? Happy bo's, happy financial institution, happy title company. But more importantly, GREAT for business. I'm number one on their list! Hmmm, maybe only if it was earlier...lol

Everyone have a great weekend! xo

Reply by Linda Juenger on 7/14/12 8:35am
Msg #426819

2nd poster today calling this the "signing game" hmmm n/m

Reply by Linda Juenger on 7/14/12 8:36am
Msg #426821

and no 9pm is perfectly normal. Do it all the time and later n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 7/14/12 9:26am
Msg #426833

In one week I signed three physicians at their home after 9pm when they were done with surgery. I felt for them...afterall day in the operating room, signing these docs was probably like flipping pancakes, not the detail you must have with patient care. They are quick signers too.

I signed a Fire Captain at a nearby fire couple weeks ago, at fire camp, late at night after he was finished with 18 hour duty overseeing fire containment crews. Quick, man was tired beyond comprehension, then went to his tent to sleep a few hours.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/14/12 12:26pm
Msg #426846

I accept signings by appointment at any hour.

I've had every hour on the clock booked at one time or another. I regularly work with shift workers. Firefighters, LEOs, pilots, medics, etc.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 7/14/12 12:34pm
Msg #426850

"If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done"

This was the "tag line" for one poster on The Signing Registry board, (of blessed memory).
Don 't recall who used it, but I believe that the individual is also a Notroter.
I struck me as a true in all circumstances statement equal to the famous
"And this too shall pass"

Reply by Q_in_Sac/CA on 7/14/12 3:49pm
Msg #426863

Since the 9pm signing cancelled, do you guys up your fee? Due to last minute/late night signing?

Reply by CopperheadVA on 7/14/12 9:20pm
Msg #426896

When I was new I took signings that late. I don't do that anymore. I am an early bird and I simply don't want to do closings at that hour. You can choose to do it, as others happily have, or you can decline those appointments. With that said, if I have a particularly good client that asks me to do one that late on occasion, then I will accommodate.

Reply by CJ on 7/14/12 10:46pm
Msg #426899

Upping the fees.

I don't raise fees for late nights, weekends or holidays, that way I get the work from the notarys who do raise their fees for those times. Late nights, weekends and holidays are the times when both the husband and the wife are home. I get paid by the job and I am glad to be working. It's not a game - it's survival of the fittest. Many times I only get work at night, so I technically have the day off. That is my reward for taking a 9:30 pm job. If you get a 9:30pm job, that means you can take a 7:30 job before that, and you still have time for an 11:00 pm after that! I hope your spouse cooks and has a hobby. I have not been home at night in almost a year.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.