Msg #427286

Am working on a fee schedule - what are some of the things

that you include in yours?
Wait time, tolls, parking fees.....

Am interested in hearing from you.
Thank you.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/18/12 1:39pm
Msg #427290

I would charge a lot for having to fax pages in for approval before sending the package. Since borrowers seldom have faxing facilities, and either may not have, or may not want me to use, high speed Internet, I'd have to go home and send the faxes or email. If they were approved, then I'd have to drive to an appropriate drop off point (drop box is 10 miles, attended location is 30 miles, round trip). If the package wasn't approved, I'd have to go back to the borrower (of course, that might be a benefit; it's always better to catch problems as early as possible). I'm not inclined to get a smart phone and data plan because the demand does not justify the expense and because of poor cell phone coverage. In fact, for now, I'd just say no, and perhaps change my mind if I could charge enough extra and got enough requests.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/18/12 1:55pm
Msg #427292

I quote a flat, all inclusive fee & don't itemize. I do

charge extra for faxbacks, extra large pkgs., etc. I also charge more for a town that is the greatest distance in my "territory". Otherwise, tolls, parking fees, mileage, etc. are not an issue for me.
There are some notaries in my area willing to travel to the VA Eastern Shore (across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel which is over 30 miles long) and the tolls on that are $12 one way. I'm not that desperate. ;-)

Reply by NJDiva on 7/18/12 2:25pm
Msg #427296

Wow Marilyn, are you serious about the Not's crossin the

tunnel? That's CRAZY for them to cross it without compensation. I know all about that bridge. Used to drive from VA Beach to NJ a couple times a month a number of years ago. Insane!!! Not sure why they're even in this business is they're doing that!

Reply by MW/VA on 7/18/12 2:41pm
Msg #427300

LOL. I don't even cover Hampton/Newport News because

of the traffic back-ups at the HR tunnel.
I'm sure they're paid extra for going over there, but I still can't imagine WHY they'd be willing to travel over there. You know it's not exactly fun doing that crossing. I don't mind the bridges, but the tunnels with 2-way traffic make me a nervous wreck.

Reply by NJDiva on 7/18/12 2:44pm
Msg #427301

excuse the slip of the "s" vs "f"

hate when that happens!!

Reply by Les_CO on 7/18/12 3:10pm
Msg #427305

I think we are each unique, and our areas, and related costs differ greatly. A NSA in Lincoln Nebraska can make a profit on a fee that a San Francisco CA NSA will lose money on.
I’ve more or less kept to my $125 flat fee. If it’s downtown/$8 per 1/2hour parking/and rush hour, I say I really think you should call someone else, I can do it but I don’t want to …so it will be $150.(I’ve had some agree and I was sorry afterwards) If it’s 10AM and 5 miles away…$85. We all should know our ‘service area’ and our costs, and what our time (a 6 PM slot) is worth. Plus I have been known to give my regulars a small discount…most just say is your fee the same as last time, and I say: Yup! Consider it done.

Reply by Barb25 on 7/18/12 3:18pm
Msg #427307

This is my second attempt. As I was about to hit "post" my electric went out. So here I go again.

I am interested in your fee schedule to be sure. As you know I have approached s in the past with my own dilemma. I live on the borders of four different counties. Most times when a new company asked you to specify your fees by county. This just does not work for me. Additionally I live near an interstate so if I have to go somewhere that is 40 to 50 miles on an interstate it takes me no times at 70 legal mph whereas 20 mph on local/county roads can take nearly an hour. Of course the tolls (not really an issue too often for me), road type (limerock and worse) means a carwash for sure, eat that one. Faxbacks, I have to a science pretty much. Biggest issue, I am 6 miles from nearest Fedex dropoff - more mileage. More time wasted. Home out again. Where am I really going with all of this... I bet you thought I would never get to that. I would like to get to a standard fee for certain town/areas/cities, depending on the factors described above. I just haven't been able to figure it all out and I don't know how much real success I have had in raising my fees based on "my" needs alone.

I guess we all have different factors depending where we live. I never had limerock roads on Long Island. I also never would have thought a 35 mile one way trip is an acceptable trip for a pretty standard basic fee and a little more. If I was only williing to go 15 or 20 miles for my base fee here in Brooksville, FL I would not be doing any signings.

What I may add is that what I feel is fair and reasonable is on fair and reasonable if you can get it. What is the fair and reasonable maximum mileage in Brooksville FL. I have a feeling I am not saying any of this very well. Bottom line you obviously need a profit margin or it becomes a hobby but I wonder if it will be as high as one would like.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/18/12 4:24pm
Msg #427318

Re: Am working on a fee schedule - Not for loan signings

This is for general notary work. I get lots of requests for hospitals, airport or homes in gated communities for celebrities.

Not for loan signings - that I have to a science. It is the odd requests of the odd things. Now I can be a 'plumber' and have a flat fee to start or I am just not going to go. I had a request for loan docs, which turned out to be one notarization and all that goes with that, some waiting, lots of tolls, lots of time on the road at rush hour, etc. Taking all that into account for a loan signing, I quoted a fee, it was accepted, and paid with a little plus since I waited 20 mins.

At first I thought that perhaps I had overcharged, and now know that loan signings are a great underpaid arena, these days especially. I know I want $xx per hour plus expenses, and am just trying to cover all the expenses that one can encounter.

I do thank you for your thoughtful, considered responses.

Reply by Barb25 on 7/18/12 4:59pm
Msg #427326

Re: Am working on a fee schedule - Not for loan signings

General Notary Work. Aha. The biggest gated community we have here is run by the Hernando County Sheriff's Department. Smile

Only kidding.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/18/12 5:35pm
Msg #427331

That is funny, clever, and I am ROFL. n/m

Reply by Sha/CA on 7/18/12 8:23pm
Msg #427340

My fee schedule is mostly based on time or mileage or both. I have travel fees and notary fees. I always give the client an itemized receipt on the back of my business card. The venue where we meet pretty much dictates what the fee will be, such as hospital, rest home, the jail, my home office. I always try to ask how many signatures will need notarization and google the mileage before I quote a fee. I usually tell them my general fee is $XX.00 per hour, but there are always variables.

Reply by Notary1/CO on 7/19/12 11:40am
Msg #427399

Do a Google search for "notary fee schedule Florida" and you will find many examples from Florida notary websites.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.