Notary Rotary
Bad week of the rookie.....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Q_in_Sac/CA on 7/18/12 12:08am
Msg #427236

When you first started out in the loan signing business, Were you "perfect"? Didn't miss anything? Well the rookie made some mistakes: Not following directions, missed signing, missing seals, not triple checking your docs, making sure that you printed all the docs and etc, etc. I feel bad because i had to clear up those mistakes and do double work. What was your feelings when you errored and how did you overcome them?

Reply by HisHughness on 7/18/12 12:33am
Msg #427238

I always asked one of my ex-wives for their help.

As has been pointed out to me on multiple occasions, the only real mistake they ever made was marrying me.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 7/18/12 5:52am
Msg #427246

You must have a sharp eye, cross the T's and dot the I's. I sure hope this doesn't happen to every rookie. Your lucky they didn't want to charge you for the errors. Many of us have accounting, sales (either real estate or some law) experience. When I started out ( and even now) I review the docs, read them and if there is a signature in an obscure place put a post it in the area to alert me of the signature line. Was this your first signing?

Reply by Q_in_Sac/CA on 7/18/12 5:23pm
Msg #427329

2nd. 1st was fine. But 2nd one I miss some signings and i didn't notarize some docs. But i'm ok. I have to fax docs to their sup to make sure all was ok.

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/18/12 6:40am
Msg #427249

Not as easy as it looks, is it? Nobody is perfect, but sounds like you made an awful lot of mistakes. However, each and every one of 'em is a hard lesson you won't forget next time.

To your credit, you did make it right.

Reply by Judy/TX on 7/18/12 8:30am
Msg #427252

I feel so bad for you, but I also congratulate you on taking care of the mistakes. I have been a notary since 1977 but only began doing work as a signing agent in 2008. Just last week I made a correction to a document (they had the incorrect County) but I failed to initial my correction. We never get over feeling horrible for our mistakes, however, like another post said, you/me will never make this error again. Just take your time.

Reply by Buddy Young on 7/18/12 8:58am
Msg #427254

Yes, I made mistakes in the begining, I think we all did.

The method I used to overcome these mistakes:

I execute one document at a time, and after I have the borrower sign, date, initial or what ever is required, they hand it back to me and I check the doc for completeness and correctness before moving on to the next doc. Then after the signing is complete, take another 5 minutes and go through the docs again to make sure nothing was missed.

I can't stress enough, the need to double check your work.

Reply by Cherokee on 7/18/12 10:45am
Msg #427264

The any rookie, you learn from your mistakes. I have had to go back to borrowers for missing signatures. Also, you hate being spoken to like a jerk by the company that hired you. Always, look over documents after borrower signs for obscure signature lines. Before leaving double check for signatures and initials. Don't fear, it does get easier.

Reply by CJ on 7/18/12 12:07pm
Msg #427276

When I make mistakes.

Of course I have my system at the table. We sign round-robin, and I double-check the whole thing before I leave. But mistakes still do happen.

The signing service calls up and they are livid. There is no getting out of it: I dropped the ball. So I don't argue because they are already upset and arguing just rubs salt into the wound. I tell them that I am HAPPY to go back and take care of it, and THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention. I I lie and say I was heading out that way anyway today and it will be a piece of cake to swing by and get the signature. No problem! Smile Hey, you have to go back anyway, so you may as well do it with a smile. If they are super-livid, and it is a BIG mistake, I tell them that I will fix it AND they don't have to pay me for the job. That calms them down.

I figure like this: I flubbed up, and now the entire loan is in jeapordy. Everyone is running around in a screaming panic because of me: Title can't close and is going to lose their borrower, Signing service is accused of hiring incompetent idiots and could lose their client, borrower is freaking out that they are going to lose their rate lock and their loan, and it all rests on ME to fix it.

If I have a good attitude and reassure them that I will take care of it RIGHT NOW, then everyone calms down. If I get sassy or uppity, it's just making things worse. So I say, "Thanks for letting me know! I will take care of it right now!" Everyone breathes a sigh of relief. Then they say to themselves, "Sometimes this notary makes mistakes, but she always solves them without any trouble."

I drive out of my way to get the missing signatures at their work, I fax back papers, I pay for the return envelope, I offer to forfiet my pay. And I do it all with a smile.

Title closes, Signing service keeps their client, and the borrower happily keeps their rate lock and closes on time.

And they call me for the next job. Smile

Reply by Gina/VA on 7/18/12 2:46pm
Msg #427303

Re: When I make mistakes.

A novice makes mistakes just as rookies do. Sometimes, no matter how many times you double/triple/quad check your work, there is always a chance that something gets missed. It happens. Accepting it and bringing resolution to it is what sets one apart from a professional notary signing agent and the others who shalt not be named.

Reply by Lexie on 7/18/12 10:57pm
Msg #427345

Re: Bad week of the rookie.....Oh yes I remember it well!

I do that as well. Look at each document and really look, don't zone out. Sit quietly after all are signed and look again. Explain to signers, "I will take about 5 minutes to review the documents to make sure nothing is missed." When I was starting, I was scared to make mistakes. I invested in the "sign here", "sign and date", "initial here", and "notarize" post its. I tried very hard to schedule so that I would have time to apply these to every page necessary before I went to the signing. This lasted about a year, until I felt more comfortable with all the paperwork. I still use them if there is an unusual location, or a new document I haven't seen before. Better safe than sorry. Remember, it is not a race, if it takes a little longer that is better than a second trip. Best of luck to you.

Reply by Patti Corcoran on 7/18/12 1:09pm
Msg #427283

Re: to all of you "honest" SA's - what great advice you gave

without making him/her feel even worse than they do. We need more posters like you on this forum. Every one of us is human!

Reply by Q_in_Sac/CA on 7/18/12 5:30pm
Msg #427330

Thanks for "healthful words" from all. It proves that your willing to go the "extra mile" to take care of the borrower and client. Those words of wisdom has proven invaluable for "rookie", and been taken to heart. Thanks, everyone.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/18/12 11:01pm
Msg #427346

Two ways to avoid missing signatures when you're a new NSA - (1) buy sticky arrows and put at signatures and initial lines. Then after you've gotten all borrower signatures and you're reviewing the package while still at the table, you can remove the arrows, one at a time as you see signatures/initials.

When I'm ready to review the package at the table, I'll say the to borrowers "Now comes the boring part. I'm going to review the docs to make sure I didn't miss any signatures or initials. If you'd like to take a break and/or stretch your legs, now's a good time".....The borrowers appreciate my thoroughness and attention to detail and will go get something to drink or check on the kids, etc.

(2) While printing docs and setting up the package, make a list of the docs that need notarizing so you'll know exactly how many line entries you'll need when you're filling in your journal. Once you've notarized, double check those notarized docs against the list you made.

Yes, I've missed a signature, or initials and had to go back and correct. No one is perfect and the key is to learn from the mistakes (don't dwell on them) and move forward.

Reply by CJ on 7/19/12 11:00am
Msg #427396

I save the Statement of Information for last.

Then, while I am double checking the docs, they are filling out the statement of information.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.