Notary Rotary
Brother HL5370DW printer help please
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by snowflake/PA on 7/19/12 1:03pm
Msg #427405

Checked settings. Drum, fuser, laser look okay. Put in new toner (That was okay on printout too). Getting a few black dots about 1" from left margin. There are about 3 or 4 that hit the page. Shut printer down. Rebooted. Even with new toner, still getting dots and some lighter streaks on right side of docs. Please help how to possibly correct. Thank you so much!

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/19/12 1:13pm
Msg #427406

Have you tried a new drum? n/m

Reply by JPH13/MO on 7/19/12 1:16pm
Msg #427407

Did you clean the drum? It should have instructions. There is a thing you pull to right and left on it that cleans it and should hopefully stop what is happening. Otherwise could be a bad toner cartridge that is leaking?

Reply by KimH/FL on 7/19/12 1:18pm
Msg #427408

I have a Brother MFM8440 and had similar issues. Replacing the drum corrected it.

Reply by JPH13/MO on 7/19/12 1:20pm
Msg #427409

Always have a spare drum in case that is the problem

They are really cheap at LD Products... and you get them pretty fast.

Reply by snowflake/PA on 7/19/12 1:30pm
Msg #427412

Re: I have a spare drum and will replace it

The settings check stated drum was nearly 100%. I'll replace it now and see what happens. Thanks!!!

Reply by Larry/IL on 7/19/12 1:37pm
Msg #427413

Sounds like a leaking Toner cartridge with black dots n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 7/19/12 7:10pm
Msg #427461

After several years, I'm not buying from LD anymore. A

fellow posted steered to me Amazon, and there are lots of suppliers there--no problems in the one's I've ordered from so far.
A leaking toner cart. from LD actually burned up a fuser on one unit I had--fortunately, it was under warranty.

Reply by desktopfull on 7/19/12 11:09pm
Msg #427476

Re: After several years, I'm not buying from LD anymore. A

Try suppliesoutlet.com, I get 5 TN650 cartridges for $100.00, never have a problem with them, and no shipping fees on orders of $100.00 or more plus their drums are around $35.00.

Reply by sealed/CA on 7/20/12 2:17am
Msg #427490

I have been very happy using Super Media Store for my drums & toner cartridges. Both of my printers use TN-650 & DR-620 drums. I have not had any trouble at all with the compatable products. The drums even work perfectly.
I ordered 6 toners and 3 drums on 7/17/12 and received them on 7/19/12 all for an amazing price (which includes tax and free shipping) of $113.61. I can't even buy one OEM cartridge for that price!
If you look and can't figure it out send me a pm and I'll walk you through.
Oh, in addition to that, I will get a rebate for 2% of my purchase price.

Reply by sealed/CA on 7/20/12 2:24am
Msg #427492

Oops. I meant a total price of $133.61. Incredible!

Reply by BrotherOwner on 7/19/12 4:40pm
Msg #427440

Re: Did this start withh replaced toner? From LD Products?

Another member contacted me with similar prob back in Jan.

"I've done alot more troubleshooting and have pretty much determined that something happened to the drum and that it's not defective cartridges. I found this problem description on the Brother Web site that pretty much matched my situation: black vertical marks exactly 3.7" apart down the page. According to Brother, it was likely the result of glue on the drum ...? Where would glue have come from? Anyway, it said to match the marks on the paper to the location on the drum, which I did, then take a cotton swab and clean the drum, which did not work. In which case it said I'd have to replace the drum. This ticks me off because the printer is not even 3 months old and drums are expensive. Maybe the drum is under warranty. In any case, it's so perplexing. I can't see any damage to the drum or any goop on it... so not sure what to do next. "

"Decided my first call this morning would be to LD. (I had opened my third and final cartridge and still same problem). Anyway, LD woman said the drum unit is shot. She said she was reading the Brother specs and it said that the drum unit is good for about 25,.000 pages, which I'm thinking is just about where it's at right now."

"
I typed in Brother Solutions Center on Yahoo.

Click on Brother Solutions Center United States.

Then a bunch of printer icons appear. Click on monochrome laser printers, then HL-5370DWHL-5370DWT

Then click FAQs & Troubleshooting

Then click Print Quality Problem

Then click: White spots on black text and graphics or black spots appear at 94 mm (3.7 in.) intervals.

The splotches that Brother shows in the diagram exactly fit what my printer was doing ... and still is.

I ordered from that site you recommended and just got a new drum today. I haven't put it in yet. I'm thinking that the LD cartridge wrecked the drum.... which LD says did not happen ... what do you think? Is it possible a cartridge can suddenly wreck a drum? So I'm just going to have to work with this some more "

I DO NOT HAVE THIS PRINTER, BUT I DO HAVE A BROTHER MFC THAT HAS THE SAME, OR A SIMILAR PRINT ENGINE ( PRINTING GUTS is the non-tech term) 'THO I"VE NOT EXPERIENCED THE PROB, THERE WERE MANY NEGATIVE FEEDBACKS HERE W/IN THE PAST YEAR+ ABOUT LD QUALITY PROBS. I DODGED THE BULLET AND SWITCHED TO SUPERMEDIA CENTER PRODUCTS ( which is owned by toner manufacturer LINKYO) AND I HAVE NOT LOOKED BACK. NO PROBS.
YES, A BAD/DEFECTIVE TONER CAN TAKE OUT A GOOD DRUM VERY QUICKLY! COSTLY PRO.

Caps above for emphasis, and to differentiate from above quotes. Sorry if it offends.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 7/19/12 11:03pm
Msg #427475

Re: EDIT: COSTLY PROBLEM! n/m

Reply by BrotherOwner on 7/19/12 4:44pm
Msg #427442

DO NOT TRY OLD TONER IN NEW DRUM, toss it or return it to LD for refund, or you'll wipe out the second drum too!!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.