Notary Rotary
Classic from Nations Signature Closers
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by ValleyGrl/VA on 7/1/12 11:13am
Msg #425270

Accepted a closing for Friday from NSC - documents (125 pages) arrive less than an hour before closing - I'm 5 mins away from closing location - so start printing. First page, FedEx - Second page - "Attention Notary - This entire closing package (except for the appraisal) MUST be faxed immediately after closing".

After reading that page - I immediately sent an email advising that I would not be faxing the entire loan package and if need be - they should find someone else for the appointment.

About 2 minutes later, rep calls and asks if I'm going to the closing... I said yes, but I will not be faxing the package - he asked if I could scan it - I said no. I then proceeded to ask why they would "hide" that type of requirement and not disclose during the initial call. He told me it was not their practice to mention that during scheduling. I then noted that the confirmation didn't mention it either, he said "it's always sent with the package". I offered to amend by fee by $1 per faxback page if they did indeed want the entire package faxed. He said, "that's okay, just drop it in the Fedex - "no one will look at it until Monday anyway". Note - the fax was going to NSC - but the package was being sent directly to title. It seems this was just so NSC could have a complete copy of the package - not for funding reasons, etc.

So... even though I haven't had any payment issues from NSC - beware of their intentional - sneaky practices!

Reply by ikando on 7/1/12 11:20am
Msg #425273

Which is why one of my standard interview questions is, Will there be faxbacks? I then adjust my fee. They then have the option to accept my service or not.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/1/12 11:23am
Msg #425274

I'm with you & just hate those kind of tricks. It's their way to trying to get us to fax for free! grrrrr
When will they understand that we're mobile, on the road, and not sitting next to a fax machine or scanner.
The only time I will fax or scan is for funding (purchases or investment properties, etc.)
Like you brought up, if it's not in the confirmation & not part of the deal, then it's a "no deal".

Reply by Les_CO on 7/1/12 1:05pm
Msg #425281

Someone here recently posted that they ‘helped a newbe out’ and looked at her signed loan docs. It seems that there were something like 25 errors and the new notary had to re -print, and go back, and she still probably got something wrong. The primary reason for fax-backs is mistakes, finding them quickly, and correcting them in time for the loan to fund. If you are going to do business in todays world, and unless you are a known commodity to the SS many will requires some fax-backs…so if it’s a deal breaker mention it in front. JMO

Reply by ValleyGrl/VA on 7/1/12 1:41pm
Msg #425285

Even though I don't "like" faxbacks - I will do them, within reason - those that ask for signature page of note, first & last of deed, etc. - no problem - a dozen or so pages, I don't even charge more. It's those companies that decide to "tack on" the requirement, hiding it in the document package where I have issue!

I rarely have a package that includes the appraisal and of course, you never know until you are printing and there it is - buried on page 95.

Reply by bagger on 7/1/12 2:20pm
Msg #425293

This entire industry is so far behind the rest of the business world it is scary.
Someone needs to introduce this industry to six sigma.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/2/12 8:34am
Msg #425356

That's my point. I'm not going to fax the docs for QC to

cover ss that are hiring notaries that don't know what they're doing.

Reply by Karla/OR on 7/1/12 1:21pm
Msg #425283

"I offered to amend by fee by $1 per faxback page if they did indeed want the entire package faxed. He said, "that's okay, just drop it in the Fedex - "no one will look at it until Monday anyway"."

I'm confused as to why the ss even asked for the package to be faxed/scanned in the first placed, based on his remark above!!!!

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/1/12 1:26pm
Msg #425284

No one said anything about it yet but why would you print an appraisal without charging more? They should be provided by the appraisal Co as they get their 400 to 600 bucks just for that. If a co wants me to print a, full of pictures and shaded pages, toner sucking, appraisal I say $40.00 bucks, or you can have escrow send it direct. I will bring a thumb drive copy and give it to the Bo after calling them first to see if they already have an appraisal copy or if an electronic copy would be OK, but I will not print one.... Just me though

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/1/12 8:05pm
Msg #425325

I assume they download the appraisal from your thumb drive onto their computer ...? Also, you could consider just putting it on a CD and leaving that with them. CDs are pretty inexpensive.

Reply by BrendaTx on 7/1/12 1:56pm
Msg #425289

Yep, Valley...

"It seems this was just so NSC could have a complete copy of the package - not for funding reasons, etc."

I also believe that some of this scanning and faxing yields added value to the services offered by SSs at your expense. When I hear of so much scanning I am certain it's an added service bargained for by the SS. (We'll even scan your documents so that you can archive them or email them to your client/borrower after funding.)

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/1/12 9:36pm
Msg #425330

excellent point, Brenda n/m

Reply by Kimberly Rogers on 7/1/12 7:10pm
Msg #425321

Not a problem for me b/c I have a free unlimited land/fax line......just a lil' babysitting time. If I didn't, it would a totally different story. K

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/1/12 9:33pm
Msg #425328

Kimberly-you might considered the wear and tear on machines

aside from the time, faxing/scanning huge packages definitely wears down the ol scanner.
on my last HP, the scanner was the first thing to go....

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 7/1/12 10:45pm
Msg #425335

Re: Kimberly-you might considered the wear and tear on machines

Kimberly, That babysitting of the fax machine takes up valuable time! I will fax back a few pages too..But an entire package..its going to cost someone extra as my time babysitting is valuable!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/2/12 7:43am
Msg #425350

How about tacking on the additional mileage incurred

as a result of returning to office, faxing back then a special trip out to drop package, which trip may or may not have been already in the plans. Possible to save quite a chunk of miles just going straight to dropoff location. That's an element that must also be considered.

Reply by LynnNC on 7/2/12 10:08am
Msg #425371

Kimberly - how did you get a 'free unlimited land/fax line'? n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.