Notary Rotary
Curious Minds . . .
Notary Discussion History

Curious Minds . . .
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Karla/OR on 7/6/12 12:37pm
Msg #425758

Curious Minds . . .

A récent VA Re-fi comes to mind that prompts this question and I hope for lots of constructive feedback to use for future:

When you have at a good-sized stack of paper to get through with your BO (120+ pages), how do you introduce each page to them? (The common docs i.e., HUD, Note, RTC, etc. are obvious.) I'm talking about the NOT SO OBVIOUS ONES. a) Do you read the document heading and give them time to peruse it before going on to the next??? b) Or do you read the document heading, hand it to them, and then almost immediately go on to the next doc (with the thought that they can peruse the docs after you leave and prior to the end of their recession period)?

This signing took three hours, but to clarify, she told me she felt ill as she greeted me at the door, sat and watched the end of her fav TV program while I 'set up', answered the phone a few times (she thought it was her doctor), gave suggestions to the contrtactors re-building her deck, excused herself a couple of times to remedy her cough, and called her daughter on the phone (who lives in the basement) to see if she wanted to attend the signing!!! I was most patient with her considering she is near 90 years old.

Thanks everyone!

Reply by dutchcloser on 7/6/12 1:22pm
Msg #425761

Considering she was 90yrs young I would have done the same thing and have been as patient as possible. I once has a reverse mortgage with an older person who had trouble writing and of course she had to sign with 3 different aka's it took so long I had to stop the signing and came back later to finish because I had other appointments.

Anyone else I would have been polite and tell them as nicely and sternly as possible that I have other appointments and if we focus we can get this done in the next 20-30mins and you can get back to your daily routine.

Reply by F2F/FL on 7/7/12 7:46am
Msg #425862

Here is what I have found works for me:
I get set up, I introduce myself as a notary that is not an attorney so therefore I will be unable to answer any legal questions or advise them and I say it in a way to keep their attention. I also usually let them know that I am not connected to the company that dispatched me to them, I am independant. Then I alway do my ledger first before I go any further, which includes getting their identification (s).

I let them know that there is another package of identical doc's for them to examine and that they are theirs to keep. I also let them know that if a boo boo happens during the signing that we will be trading those papers with their pack.

Then depending on the size of the package I point out all the tabs I have attached on each page to let them get an idea of how many "sigs, initials, notarizations, etc.) there are. This gives them an idea that if they want to get through this in a timely manner they will stay at the table and stay focused.

Then I tell them that I will be reading the documents that call for US BOTH to sign so that they know we will both be on the same page. (This is all if they don't say to me OK lets just get this over with).

I basically teach or mold them into what I need to make this successful and it has been helping me get my job done better and quicker each time.

I hope this advise might work for others. You just need to keep control of each situation the best you can.
If anyone wants to add to this advise, please do. I hope this helps.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.