Notary Rotary
Deaf borrower
Notary Discussion History

Deaf borrower
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by JustANotary on 7/25/12 1:58pm
Msg #428030

Deaf borrower

I know we are supposed to know the same language as the borrower. I do not know sign language. Anyone have experience or advice about this? Thanks.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 7/25/12 2:19pm
Msg #428031

I've had several deaf borrowers. They can see and read so it's not a problem. Once, a daughter was there and they used sign language between themselves. The other times, I had a notepad handy where I could write something down if I needed to, other than that, its no biggie. They are usually well prepared. I point to the specifics of the doc and point where they sign their name.

Reply by JustANotary on 7/25/12 2:21pm
Msg #428032

Thanks for your feedback Linda. Amazing, I have done over 5,000 signings but never with someone who is deaf.

Reply by sueharke on 7/25/12 3:00pm
Msg #428042

Ah. the beauty of the tablet or laptop computer and how to apply it to notary work. Instead of writing in illegible handwriting, we can now type our comments in a typed format. As far as using a translator, even for signing for the deaf, I believe that is not allowed; hence pencil and paper. All the CA rules say is that you must be able to communicate with the borrower yourself.

Reply by Buddy Young on 7/25/12 2:47pm
Msg #428035

I don't know what state you are in but interpreters are not allowed in California. That would include a daughter using sign language.

So you would have to communicate with a pencil and a piece of paper. No biggie.

Reply by Shelly_FL on 7/25/12 2:48pm
Msg #428036

Linda made some excellent points. Many of them can read your lips, so face them directly when you speak. To get their attention it is ok to tap the table or motion that you need them to look at you.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 7/25/12 3:31pm
Msg #428050

I don't have a "tablet"yet so good ole pen and paper will do n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/25/12 5:13pm
Msg #428072

You're in CA, right? If so, you cannot use an interpreter. Period. It's the law. You must be able to communicate directly with the signer. If you don't know sign language, I'm sure this person can write or type and you can communicate that way. If not, you need to refer them to a Notary who knows ASL.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/26/12 3:16pm
Msg #428154

Would probably be faster and more efficient to take your laptop and a "lazy susan", set it up and type in giant font what you want to say and let the borrower type a response, if one's warranted.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.