Notary Rotary
Double Booking...
Notary Discussion History

Double Booking...
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by FeliseSoCal on 7/12/12 4:52pm
Msg #426545

Double Booking...

I'm curious how many people out there double book themselves b/c so often lenders book our time and cancel b/c they don't have docs.

It's gotten ridiculous how often I have something on my schedule, turn something else for the same time down, and then wind up with nothing b/c the lender didn't get the docs out.

Any thoughts?

Reply by MikeC/TX on 7/12/12 4:57pm
Msg #426550

That's all fine and good, but what do you do if neither of the double booked appointments is canceled?

Reply by pan/nd on 7/12/12 5:00pm
Msg #426552

Punt ! n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 7/12/12 5:43pm
Msg #426559

traffic problems n/m

Reply by Chuckd80/NJ on 7/13/12 7:16am
Msg #426622

Re: traffic problems

LOL...pretty much, jba/fl

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/12/12 6:48pm
Msg #426570

Some of my best clients came from notaries who dbl booked.

I'd never do it. Never. It's not worth it. Price your services high enough to cover some cancellations and inform clients that you don't push back times, etc. Push clients for docs, or tell them they've only got a tentative spot on the calendar until you have them, but for heavens sakes, don't double-book.

Reply by FeliseSoCal on 7/12/12 7:26pm
Msg #426576

Re: Some of my best clients came from notaries who dbl booked.

I have only considered doing it with clients who have repeatedly booked my time and canceled. I would not do it to a client who respects my time.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/12/12 8:36pm
Msg #426588

<<<I have only considered doing it with clients who have repeatedly booked my time and canceled.>>>

And the one time you double book on those guys, their docs will be ready! Life can be so unfair. It's like when you're in a hurry, you hit every red light and somehow the little old lady from Pasadena is driving in front of you. And when she turns right or left away from you, her cpusin Walter is now driving in front of you - and slower. When you NEED a red light to look for something, or look AT something...then every light is green....woe is us, LOL!!

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 7/12/12 9:19pm
Msg #426592

I never double book. I feel that if I double booked I would be pushing the bo to hurry up and get going so that I can run to the next..On top of that if I double book that means I would have to lie to someone to let them know I would be late..thats not something I can do. The stess of double booking is just not worth it for me.

Yet I know some notaries who routinely double book and they are fine with it..Not me!

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/12/12 9:20pm
Msg #426593

Funny, funny, LKT!

You pretty much summed up life on the road for an NSA!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/12/12 10:42pm
Msg #426601

"Price your services high enough to cover some cancellations..."

Exactly!! Another good reason to not take low ball offers - and one that we leave out all too often when talking about how to calculate fees. I also agree that when it looks like docs might be an issue, you can let borrowers - and client - know that you can't be turning down other work for that time slot and may have to schedule later, if docs don't arrive in time.

This whole area is where the "art" of this business comes into play. I'm usually pretty straight with people about what I think I can or can't fit in. I'd rather under-promise and over-deliver, and that includes estimating ample time between appts., but I will try to adjust whenever possible when late docs become an issue. I also try to find out in advance what kind of flexibility borrowers will have, if there's an issue.

Nonetheless, I do find myself missing out on a fair amount of work from time to time by not double booking. But I just don't think it's fair to the borrowers. People are busy these days, and plan loan signing appointments in between business meetings, parents' nights, travel, college classes, yoga classes (or whatever), commuting, baby's bedtime, etc., etc., etc. We don't think people should expect us to be sitting around waiting for docs to be ready and borrowers don't like that any more than we do.

Reply by Buddy Young on 7/13/12 12:49am
Msg #426615

Re: I never double book!!!!! n/m

Reply by anotaryinva on 7/13/12 8:15am
Msg #426624

Too bad we can't block schedule the way a lot of companies do. We could tell them 'yes, I will be there between 4 and 7, will call 30 minutes before arriving.

Reply by ArtG/KS on 7/13/12 9:35am
Msg #426637

Airlines do this all the time only they call it overbook. I have rarely done this but never have had it cause a conflict when I did. With Quicken, I never ever book another on top of one of theirs or any other company that requires automated system completion reporting.

I have overlaped by say 30 minutes at times but again Ive never had a problem occur. Time management is an acquired art and scheduling your day efficiently comes with experience.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/13/12 12:36pm
Msg #426666

Agree....acquired art.

Kind of like: If you need something done, ask a busy person as they know how to squeeze the day.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.