Notary Rotary
EMAIL SCAM VERIZON WIRELESS
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 7/28/12 7:21pm
Msg #428491

About 7 years ago, my mother had serious complications as a result of back surgery, ended up in CCU. When she returned home, we got her a medalert bracelet and cell phone. Turned out her hearing was so bad, no cell phone connectivity in Florence, OR, so she said "take the damned thing back". So we disconnected the service, and paid a penalty for early termination because it was after 30 days. Somehow a bill surfaces this week, we owe $1400 for back services.

HUH? It's a scam. Lots of people were copied on the email Poor mom! Doesn't realize it's a scam...Did I pay the bill, she asks. No, mom and put these emails into spam.

Just got mom a new laptop for her 85th. These scalpers, shrews and pirates are taking advantage of our seniors. Mom is 1100 miles away on the coast of Oregon.

I was hoping to keep her in the internet loop, to be able to communicate with her kindergarten friends from Sioux Falls, SD. This is scary stuff, worse than having a teenager with internet access.

Watch out for your parents' being scammed for VERIZON WIRELESS. Crazy.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/28/12 8:06pm
Msg #428496

Everything has a flip side, Cheryl

If it weren't for the scam artists, I wouldn't have anybody at all to talk to.

"Getting old is hell.

Reply by 101livescan on 7/28/12 8:40pm
Msg #428498

Re: Everything has a flip side, Cheryl

Cute, but it's scary. Mom just called me. Someone called her and said, "I hear you're having computer problems". She hung up on him. He had a foreign voice. Now, Hugh, I know that wasn't you, but who the hell is this guy...

Reply by Bee_CA on 7/28/12 8:44pm
Msg #428500

Re: Everything has a flip side,

Cheryl - I've had that same call about computer problems. It was a woman with an accent...I read her the riot act and hung up!!! If these people would use their creativity towards positive actions....oh, what a world we could have!!

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 7/28/12 9:44pm
Msg #428503

I wound't even think of getting my 87 year old mom a computer. She has never used a computer, would not even know what to do with one.

Reply by 101livescan on 7/28/12 11:12pm
Msg #428507

Not her first, she's on her third since she retired in 1986! Not a newbie at it.

Reply by sueharke on 7/29/12 12:39am
Msg #428509

Have you considered allowing only approved people to send your mom email? An honest person would agree to provide information to talk to her ... if it were me. Also try sotware that allows you to take over operation of her computer from your end.

Reply by BrendaTx on 7/29/12 7:18am
Msg #428515

sueharke - I am using TeamViewer for my mom.

TeamViewer.com

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/29/12 9:59am
Msg #428528

I second that....

I love TeamViewer! I use it for helping family members, friends and some of the VA clients. It's an amazing piece of software, especially when set up properly so that you can control a computer remotely without them even being there.

Reply by Shelly_FL on 7/29/12 2:45pm
Msg #428581

I got my 87 year old mom an ipad and set her

Up with a gmail account. She has not gotten one peice of spam since Christmas. She only uses the email and a couple apps.

Reply by 101livescan on 7/29/12 5:24pm
Msg #428590

Re: I got my 87 year old mom an ipad and set her

Good to know...thanx

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.