Notary Rotary
Fax Back and Scans
Notary Discussion History

Fax Back and Scans
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Carolyn Breckenridge on 7/29/12 10:40am
Msg #428537

Fax Back and Scans

I had an issue the other night with a scan back that the title company was requiring. My Yahoo account wouldn't allow me to send this large of a scan. I was very frustrated. The title company did not give a fax number. I broke the scan back into two scans and still had problems.

So, I went searching for a way to get around this issue with Yahoo. Then, I remembered that this was discussed on NR. I did a search and came up with a website that allows me to send them. It is http://www.largefilesasap.com/. It was absolutely awesome. Thanks for the info. This is another way that NR is invaluable resource along with its great notaries on here.

By the way, I think these fax back and scan backs are getting out of hand. This was on a refi. Unbelievable.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 7/29/12 10:57am
Msg #428539

This site is an invaluable resource for answers and work-arounds to all sorts of challenges we come across.

I agree with you regarding fax back requests. Last week I had a TC tell me that they required fax backs because the entire package was to be shipped directly to the lender after the signing and they needed the fax backed docs for their files. This was for a PR refi. with a RTC and I had just completed another assignment for them without the request for fax backs. They needed about 10-15 pages, including the first and notary page of the mortgage. I did not ask them how they were going to record the mortgage (maybe the lender was going to send it in???). We could not come to terms on a fee so they called someone else.

Reply by Carolyn Breckenridge on 7/29/12 11:42am
Msg #428545

The problem with charging extra for this is that it is not in the original confirmation. You don't know that they require these kind of fax backs or scans until you get the package. I spent over an hour trying to get these documents to the tc. This is after I have already closed it. I think I earned my fee when the closing was complete. I voiced my frustrations with the ss and it rang on deaf ears. The ss said that this was a new company for them and they had no idea. I don't know whether tc received the emails. I never heard from them.

The other thing that I am frustrated with is the ss wanting to fax or email docs for their quality control. If you hire signing agents that are experienced and pay them accordingly, you wouldn't have so many issues with documents. Everyone makes mistakes at times and I am not an exception.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/29/12 11:50am
Msg #428547

<<<The problem with charging extra for this is that it is not in the original confirmation. You don't know that they require these kind of fax backs or scans until you get the package.>>>

Posters here of written that when they quote their fee to the scheduler, they verbalize that their fee does not include fax backs. Then when they receive the confirmation email, they reply that the fee includes: (travel X miles, type of signing <single refi edocs>, NO fax backs).

Either you mention it up front and not get the signing or accept the signing then get frustrated (and vent) by a request not part of the original order.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/29/12 11:51am
Msg #428548

"of" should be "have" n/m

Reply by Carolyn Breckenridge on 7/29/12 12:08pm
Msg #428552

Re: "of" should be "have"

I totally agree with you. I was venting. I work for a title company and we do send out some of our closings. We do not ask for fax backs and we most certainly do not send the lenders' closing instructions for the signing agent to print. My quess is that the scans and emails are used to send the funding documents to the lender when they receive them. Therefore, they do not have to sort through the package once they get it back to do funding documents. IMO

Reply by Barb25 on 7/29/12 12:31pm
Msg #428556

Just an FYI on Scanning

Make sure you scan to PDF file and your resolution if not more than 300 dpi. That gives a copy that is better than fax quality. I scanned 46 pages (legal and letter) the other day and the PDF file I attached to email was under 3 mb.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/29/12 12:39pm
Msg #428561

Do you have an NR fax?

Fax it to yourself, at your NR fax number, then attach it to an email.

I've been able to send some gigantic files this way, because the NR fax really compresses file size.

The other day I got part 2 of a two-part closing and the prior notary had numerous errors. I saw this before signing and alerted the company I was working for. They asked if I would please email the whole thing back so they could review ASAP.

With 150 pages, it wasn't going to go in a conventional scan, so I faxed to myself and attached to an email.

It was a breeze.

Reply by Barb25 on 7/29/12 1:22pm
Msg #428566

Re: Do you have an NR fax?

Another idea. Smile It's always great to get so many different ideas especially when our technologies decide to give us a difficult time in our hour of need. LOL.

Reply by sandi_CA on 7/29/12 8:25pm
Msg #428601

Now why didn't I ever think of this? Great TIP!!! Thanks!

Reply by Mohammad Ali on 7/30/12 11:51am
Msg #428641

Can any one give a me a web address for a good NR fax company I can use.It is a great idea.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/30/12 11:57am
Msg #428643

More on using the NR Fax

I have had several follow up messages on this in my inbox, so for folks who didn't understand, rather than scanning a large file and processing a large file, this is what I do.

I use my own fax machine, and send an outbound fax to my Notary Rotary fax number. It creates a very compact PDF file that I pick up here on Notary Rotary to email, when documents are requested via email rather than fax.

Certainly, it is just easier to fax them direct, but sometimes, e-mail is requested by the client, so that's what I do.

For more information on using the Notary Rotary fax, see: Msg #323779

Reply by HisHughness on 7/30/12 12:10pm
Msg #428644

So, you must already have a fax beyond the NotRot program? n/m

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/29/12 2:19pm
Msg #428574

Re: Just an FYI on Scanning

Do you scan color or black & white?

Reply by Barb25 on 7/29/12 2:36pm
Msg #428579

Re: Just an FYI on Scanning

Black and White.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/29/12 9:28pm
Msg #428605

Also, if you're scanning "searchable" it makes a difference

A "searchable" file is much larger than a scanned B&W image file because there's an OCR layer in the file.

The NR Fax will make the smallest, tidiest file IMO, and it's faster than hand-processing (sadly, my scanner needs me to process some pages until such time that I learn how to properly program the buttons to do exactly what I want--a low-res/OCR-free/B&W scan).

I had it all figured out once, and then unplugged my scanner for an afternoon and lost my settings. Damn!

Reply by Barb25 on 7/30/12 6:17am
Msg #428626

Scan software

When I upgraded to windows 7 and downloaded new software for my HP 6310 I had all sort of scanning problems so I purchased VueScan software on line. (there are others some free) It gives me great control over resolution, and type of scans. I can pile up 50 pages and walk away. It took me a while to get it right but now in less then 10 minutes I come back hit the last page button and it processes and completes the file. I usually use 300 dpi. I have done 150 dpi (which is about fax quality and is really fast scan) It is really only for proof anyhow.

In any event, I have gotten some good alternate ideas here. I know I was pulling my hair out for quite a while. It was taking me forever and everytime I heard faxbacks I cringed. So now I have something that works and some other choices thanks to all of you if that fails.

Reply by Jodith/WA on 7/29/12 10:19pm
Msg #428612

This is why I have my own domain for my website and e-mail. I have no limits on what I can e-mail, and it looks more professional to have your own domain. It only costs about $50 a year at ICD Soft.

Well, actually, it'a about $70 a year, but we have multiple domains between my husband and myself, so we have a reseller account with ICD Soft so we get a discount on all of our domains.

If anyone wants a cheap domain and web hosting, I'm happy to share our reseller discount. Just send me a PM.

Reply by desktopfull on 7/30/12 12:49am
Msg #428623

I have a gmail account and have scanned and sent 75 pgs without a problem. I always scan in PDF with 300DPI or less in B&W, rarely over 4.6 mb. The other free email accounts didn't work but with gmail there's no problem.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.