Notary Rotary
GNW
Notary Discussion History

GNW
Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by EileenHI on 7/1/12 3:14pm
Msg #425304

GNW

In Hawaii, or at least on Oahu, if one wants to sell metals, particularly copper, to the recycling center, they have to have a notarized statement of the metals they are trying to sell. I have gotten so many calls for this work, that I have given my business card to the smaller recycling centers and they give them to the folks trying to recycle. The larger centers have notaries on staff, except on the weekend. If the notarization takes place at any of the small centers within 5 miles of where I am, I give the regulars a deal on the travel fee. I have quite a nice following doing this. I was just wondering if this is a requirement in other areas.

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/1/12 4:16pm
Msg #425309

Wow, Copper must be a big theft problem in Hi

Reply by Linda Juenger on 7/1/12 4:30pm
Msg #425312

I think copper theft is a huge problem everywhere. Even in my small town a group of thieves came over from St. Louis and stole a bunch of it one night. Having a notarized statement is a great idea.

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/1/12 4:48pm
Msg #425313

About two years ago I was in Mexico in a small town that had no police or control. Thieves cut down steel towers and stole all 4 of the power lines for about a quarter mile along the road...

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/1/12 7:29pm
Msg #425323

Yup, it's a big problem everywhere, especially

in the areas with lots of foreclosures. Thieves come in and strip homes of any metal they can find. There's a house across the street from me that had it's garage door pilfered.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 7/1/12 6:24pm
Msg #425317

CA Requirements

Drat. Was hoping that was required here too. Alas, it is not.

Provide written record for each material purchase which includes:

•Valid driver’s license # with state of issuance
•Vehicle license # with state of issuance
•Name of seller
•Address of seller
•Description of material, including type and quantity
•Statement indicating either that the seller of the material is the owner or has obtained permission from the owner to sell the material.
•Additionally, for all non-ferrous material purchases:

Payment must be made as follows:

•Check mailed to seller only at the address on the valid I.D.
•Cash may be collected on the 3rd business day after the sale
•A photograph or video of the seller is required
•A photograph or video of the material is required
•A thumbprint of the seller is required
•All records must be kept for a period of two years
•All information will be submitted to local law enforcement as requested

Reply by jba/fl on 7/2/12 12:06am
Msg #425344

I see the same here in FL - almost identical. n/m

Reply by Kauaigirl on 7/1/12 6:42pm
Msg #425318

Aloha, Eileen! It is also a requirement on Kauai and I've done several of these myself. I think its a wonderful idea considering the theft factor.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/1/12 6:58pm
Msg #425320

Because of all the copper (especially) theft going on, you'd think most, if not all, States would adopt such a law.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 7/1/12 9:30pm
Msg #425327

What does this accomplish?

As one who recycles quite a bit of metal ($950.00 of aluminum siding on June 19th), the requirement
here is a valid license, and the check is mailed to your license address 4 days later. The process works fine.

Seems if you are up to no good, swearing or affirming to a notary will not sway you from stepping over the line.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 7/1/12 9:35pm
Msg #425329

I totally agree with you.

It's like when they used to ask you at the airport if your bags have been out of your control since you pakced them. Who's going to answer yes??

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/1/12 9:42pm
Msg #425332

Re: I totally agree with you.

Somehow I think having to show valid ID (and possibly a thumbprint), and sign their name in a journal, might be a deterrent to someone who is involved in selling fraudulently obtained metals. I wouldn't know, but I'm just sayin'... Wink

Reply by Philip Johnson on 7/1/12 9:50pm
Msg #425333

You show your id and sign your name here with the local Fred Sanford, in his state mandated log. There really is no difference in his junk logbook and my notary journal.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 7/2/12 6:56am
Msg #425347

On the other hand, a court will give a Notarial Journal

the legal status it demands, as opposed to Mr Sanford's log, which, while mandated, is not prima facie evidence, all things being equal, of veracity.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 7/1/12 11:27pm
Msg #425339

As Janet said a fingerprint could help. A drivers license can be counterfeited ( that's the reason CA changed their license approx 2 years) but a thumbprint is a very different matter for most thieves.

I fingerprint every signer I notarize.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/2/12 6:34pm
Msg #425411

This is kinda related - I had some old gold jewelry I took to one of those "cash for gold" kiosks in the mall. They won't give you money for your gold if you don't have current ID. Not only was my ID number entered into the system, but my race and physical description (from my license) was added too. I was also required to give my thumbprint. The young lady who assisted me said they require ALL of that because criminals would steal, burglarize, and mug then come there to try to get money for the gold. Requiring a valid ID, thumbprint and recording the race and physical description deters the criminal element.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.