Notary Rotary
GPS: Waze
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Michelle/AL on 7/31/12 9:57pm
Msg #428898

I'm a huge Waze fan and have been using it for about six months now. IMO one of the best features is how you can learn about speed traps, inclement weather, accidents, etc., before you hear a out it on the radio. I'd encourage you to check it out if you haven't already. There's an app for iPhone & Droid phones. I was thinking about canceling VZNavigator but every now and then there's that one address that Waze can't locate.

Reply by ToniK on 7/31/12 10:46pm
Msg #428906

Google maps....its free! Thats what I use on my phone when I forget my car gps.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/31/12 11:11pm
Msg #428912

I don't even owna separate GPS device...it seems like a waste when it's all on my phone. I use a hybrid of GOogle Maps that integrates with TeleNav GPS.

Fro example, if I'm in my office, I'll go to GOogle Maps and pull up a destination address. There's a tool that will let you send alink to your GPS, in my case, my phone. It goes to my phone as a text message, but also directly to my TeleNav app as a "recent Place" ... so when I hit the road, I just have to open that app, and all of my desinnations are there to choose.

I've never heard of Waze... but I did download it and will give it a try. It looks like it uses your phones GPS, but it's also a social reporting system, much like GasBuddy.

So, for example, today I saw a CHP officer parked in a notorious speed trap... I know darn well to slow the heck down. The guy in front of me clearly ignored the signs and I knew he'd get busted. We both came to a left turn lane and the ChiPpy popped on his lights and forced himself in front of me and nabbed the guy. Classic, and it's like shooting fish in a barrel...everyone ignores the signs. It takes you from 70 MPH to 45 in under a mile.

What I gather from this app is that I could have pulled it up and reported, real time, that there was an officer actively clocking people there.

Reply by sueharke on 8/1/12 12:06am
Msg #428923

I use a cell phone and a separate GPS. I've had several occasions where I was a in a dead cell area and no phone service, yet my separate GPS still worked. I guess I will old fashioned as long as there are dead cell areas.

Reply by ToniK on 8/1/12 6:46am
Msg #428927

Same here.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 8/1/12 4:06am
Msg #428925

I used to not think I didn't need a separate GPS until I got one as a gift. I still try to look up directions on Google Maps before I leave, just in case, but I like having the GPS tell me the turns so I don't have to be looking at directions while I drive, especially at night. This is especially useful in those neighborhoods like one I was in the other night where there are a bazillion teeny streets and lots of turns!

I do wonder, though, if all GPS work similarly. I have to believe that the quality/accuracy must be better on some than on others. Anyone have any experience with that? (Apart from paying for map updates. I see that as a separate issue.) Mine (a Garmin, I believe) seems to have an aversion to left turns. I can think of one situation where, instead of listening to my gut, I listened to the GPS and ended up going 3 miles out of my way to come home. Had I made the left turn my instincts were telling me to, I would have gotten home much sooner - and saved some gas... Wink

I really love it when Google Maps and the GPS disagree about which way to go... NOT!! Smile Sure beats a Thomas Guide hands down, though!

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 8/1/12 11:35am
Msg #428965

If you think you may be in an area

with little or no cell service, there is a function in Gmaps, MapQuest and others where you can download the map area to your phone so it will still work by GPS without cell service. You can get instructions in the "help" feature. I still will use a separate GPS unit however. Even your highest rated phones don't have the antenna gain of a GPS unit. Also check the route using a paper map before I leave.

Reply by ToniK on 8/1/12 6:45am
Msg #428926

Wow really? I would think that illegal. I know here in VA its illegal to have those radar detectors that lets you know if a cop is clocking people. Interesting to see if the cops know about this around here. In my county, the sheriffs pull people over just to check to see if your drivers license has expired. With virtually minimal crime here, sheriffs have free time to do whatever and whenever.

Reply by ikando on 8/1/12 8:56am
Msg #428934

I found that it ate battery power and I didn't use it as much as I had thought. Could be useful for some, though.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 8/1/12 9:41pm
Msg #429049

Marian, you're right about the reporting feature. That's the feature I enjoy the most. Ikando, you're also right about battery drain. I have to keep the phone plugged in when using Waze. It is a serious battery drain, I just love traffic reports.

Reply by LKT/CA on 8/1/12 9:45pm
Msg #429050

I have a separate GPS unit....sometimes I use my cellphone GPS but like to SEE the streets on my Garmin Nuvi. Also, I have bluetooth on the GPS so that's nice.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.