Notary Rotary
Hanson v. Google Settlement Fund
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by Michelle/AL on 7/9/12 7:32pm
Msg #426137

I did a search but didn't find anything on this topic. On Saturday I received a settlement check as part of a class action lawsuit between the two named parties. I received a whopping one cent...that's right, a penny. When my websites were up and running I signed up for Google Adwords. Apparently, Google was accused of not adhering to the terms set by website owners. I never paid a lot for Adwords so I'm not too surprised with "my cut". Perhaps some of you big spenders will be due a larger check. If you do get a chck, try not to spend it all in one place, okay?

Reply by jba/fl on 7/9/12 7:47pm
Msg #426145

Will you be framing this? I know framing can be expensive, so be sure to look or ask on Freecycle. LOL

Reply by Michelle/AL on 7/9/12 8:40pm
Msg #426157

Great minds think alike. I will. I think it would make a great conversation piece.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/9/12 8:40pm
Msg #426156

I get to buy two gumballs and have money left over with my check - 52 cents.

Reply by Michelle/AL on 7/9/12 8:43pm
Msg #426159

I'm jealous. You can make a purchase. N/M n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/9/12 9:12pm
Msg #426166

Re: I'm jealous. You can make a purchase. N/M

Tell ya what...I'll send you a gumball and one cent from the leftover change....OR, I'll just send the quarter and the one cent - oh, no WAIT....with your penny and the 26 cents, you'll then you have 27 cents and I just have 26 cents.....um, let me rethink this. Maybe others received a check too and will post that they're willing to share. We can pool all the checks and see what we get.

I'm gonna dream really big on this one and believe that collectively, we'll reach $5.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/9/12 9:23pm
Msg #426174

Heeheeheeee!! n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 7/9/12 9:12pm
Msg #426167

Another situation where the attorneys made the most

money, you can be sure.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/9/12 10:56pm
Msg #426197

Another slap at lawyers, Marilynn?

What reasonable alternative would you suggest for class action lawsuits? Should Michelle have filed the action to collect her penny?

There are problems with our system. There are problems with class actions. But why do you complain only about the lawyer's role? Why not judges? Why not legislatures which establish the ground rules? Why not jurors who make awards? Why not insurance companies that refuse to pay legitimate claims? Why not citizens who want to lay all the blame at the feet of lawyers, rather than propose workable solutions?

The problem is not lawyers; they are <one> component of a system. The problem is systemic, and until such time as people begin to treat it as systemic and stop blaming lawyers for the system they themselves created and have permitted to flourish, there will continue to distortions that result in outcomes that are less than optimal, or even unjust.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/10/12 9:10am
Msg #426219

Not personal, Hugh. IMO it is the attorneys who benefit

most in tort or class action suits, that's all.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/10/12 11:48am
Msg #426231

Re: Not personal, Hugh. IMO it is the attorneys who benefit

I understood what you meant. That was the reason for my question: What do you propose that would be better than the current system, which I agree has major problems.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/10/12 12:06pm
Msg #426234

Re: Not personal, Hugh. IMO it is the attorneys who benefit

I understand there is a requirement that a judge decide if the class members receive a reasonable benefit from a class action suit. Change that so a JURY must decide if the benefit is reasonable.

Reply by Notary1/CO on 7/9/12 9:53pm
Msg #426179

Here's how you can double your money. Take the one cent check to the bank and ask to cash it for a pre-1982 penny (95% copper). At current copper prices, the copper penny is worth 2.3 cents! Wow! Don't let them give you a post-1982 penny (98% zinc). At current zinc prices, a zinc penny is only worth 0.5 cents.

Reply by Lavergne Manuel on 7/10/12 8:10pm
Msg #426312

I must have gotten one of the bigger settlements. 73 Cents!!!

Reply by Notary1/CO on 7/10/12 10:33pm
Msg #426335

Now we're talking big money. Take the 73 cent check to the bank. Ask for payment in seven 1964 Roosevelt dimes (90% silver). At current silver prices, each dime is worth $1.95. Your seven dimes are worth $13.65.

Take the $13.65 and go buy the winning ticket to the MegaSuperDuper Jackpot Lottery and collect the $10 million grand prize. Retire and send us an occasional e-postcard from a tropical island.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/10/12 11:11pm
Msg #426338

Good ideas you are posing. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.