Notary Rotary
Has childcare been an issue
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by ME/NJ on 7/19/12 11:57am
Msg #427401

It seems to been one of my biggest issues for the last 4 years. It's getting better as my daughter is getting older but this week it has cost me over 500 dollars this week. Today and Saturday I'm stuck and had to turn down good clients.

Reply by ananotary on 7/19/12 12:01pm
Msg #427402

Yes, and sports, piano lessons, child bonding time, carpool

Duties, etc. The life of a mom! LOL I just learned that it is way better to be sure that when you are working you are making the top end of the pay scale. I find that "working smarter, not harder" has worked for me.

Good Luck!

Reply by dutchcloser on 7/19/12 12:42pm
Msg #427403

It's not easy being a working mom especially in this line of work. I agree with ananotary we as moms have to find a way to work smarter and make sure we are getting paid what we are worth. Good luck!!

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/19/12 1:51pm
Msg #427414

Yes!

Thankfully, my husband works nights, and only 4 days per week. He's home during the day, so the kids are safe at home. When I'm out late and he's already left for work, we often have a grandparent or babysitter come hang out with them. Our oldest turns 14 this year, so she's getting more and more helpful, and can run the show by herself many days. We try to do a lot of family activities while I'm not working--yesterday we spent midday with friends at the museum of flight... sure I was the jerk who had to answer my phone every 12 minutes. We reserve Sundays exclusively for family time--I almost never take loan signings on Sundays.

Reply by bfnotary on 7/19/12 2:36pm
Msg #427422

Right now it isn't an issue for me either, Back in september of 2011, my husband got layed off from his job of 14 years (they got someone in for less pay than he made). So he has been collecting unemployment, and job hunting between my signings. So he is home with my little ones. It will be interesting on how much it will cost me when he gets back to work, especially at EOM. I will probably have my hands full then. I am honestly not looking forward to him going back to work. lol. But he has to, so I will have to deal with it when that happens.

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/19/12 2:48pm
Msg #427425

I have a child care issue too! My son comes over when I am working and steals my beer!

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/19/12 2:53pm
Msg #427427

Sounds like you need a burglar alarm Clem. n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 7/19/12 6:10pm
Msg #427453

Re: Has childcare been an issue...LOL Clem! n/m

Reply by Julie/MI on 7/19/12 3:51pm
Msg #427435

Re: Has childcare been an issue yes and no

one day I'm going to wonder how in the hell I've pulled this gig off as long as I have, with still having some quality of life.

They are now 16, 14, 5 and 6 mths and when I got started 12 years ago, they were only 2 and much younger.

What helps is that my husband is home around 4 and I moved my mother out by me and she helps. I pay some of her bills so I don't need to pay for babysitting.

Now the 16 year old and 14 year old can watch the younger ones while I dash off and close a few loans and then I rush home to get to the little ones.

Since I had the baby, my territory is MUCH smaller, closer to home and the older boys can prepare some of the meals.

It's always a challenge to answer the phone and then have the baby cry, but I went through this 5 years ago, when our daughter was born.

What motivates me is that many of my peers have returned to work making $12 bucks an hour working 8:30 to 5, no thanks!

Reply by ToniK on 7/19/12 4:09pm
Msg #427437

My oldest daughter is 15 yrs old so I have her watch my youngest who is 5.

If she is not available, I log into sittercity.com and find me a babysitter. I have been using sittercity since 2006 and absoutely love it. The babysitters actually become my friends eventually and the kids love the sittercity babysitters. You can do background checks on them too. Some already do thier own and post it on their profiles. I think its through LexisNexis.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 7/19/12 6:56pm
Msg #427456

Another good site

http://www.care.com/

My daughter has had good luck here with child care.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 7/19/12 10:41pm
Msg #427473

God's reward for not "killing" your kids......

Grandchildren.
If I new that they would be so easy and so much fun, I would have had them first.
Hang in there moms and dads. And this too shall pass.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/19/12 11:25pm
Msg #427479

Re: God's reward for not "killing" your kids......

And it will pass so fast you will wonder if something is wrong.

Then you will love the grandkids....visiting, getting dirty, then going home. Revenge of the grandparents....it does exist.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/20/12 12:37am
Msg #427485

Child care is an issue, but there are upsides.

No guilt/hassle for time off for:
PTA
Doctor
Dentist
Teacher conference
School play
Being there when your kiddo is in a rough patch

For all the complaints I have about the weird schedule and on-call nature of things, I wouldn't trade it for fixed hours where I have to fight a boss for time to do the most important job in the world--good parenting!!

I don't think you could pay me enough to go back to the 9-5. I'll freelance in one form or another forever I think.

Reply by ToniK on 7/20/12 7:23am
Msg #427499

Re: Child care is an issue, but there are upsides.

Same here. I dont make as nearly as much as I did in my previous career BUT I am less stressed, no fighting traffic, early mornings, request or taking time off and have to make it up and no incompetent upper management.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.