Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
I dislike, detest, despise, abhor, hate, & abominate ...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 7/2/12 8:41am
Msg #425357

... technology.

Just installed a new desktop. Everything is different. It's like I woke up in the middle of a very dark night, and someone moved the bathroom. When you are a septugenarian, that spells disaster.

I don't know how to do stuff. I don't know how to undo stuff. Stuff that should be there isn't. Stuff that shouldn't be there is.

I want Sarahdippity, my 1.23 gHZ 500 MB computer, back. Cranky as she was, lazy as she was in loading, she was familiar, and I knew all of her quirks and all of her many moods. True, our love/hate relationship trended more on the "hate" end, but I had learned to live with it, and so had Saradippity. I'm too old to take up with a trophy computer. I really miss the old one, even more than I miss my flip phone.

Heaven help me, I'm even thinking about calling up one of my ex-wives.

Reply by ArtG/KS on 7/2/12 9:08am
Msg #425361

This wont help much, but, (a big IF here) if your old system was XP or XP pro, Wind 7 can be made to look much like XP. If you had an older OS such as ME or 98se, I can only offer to be very patient with yourself and it will eventually make sense. Dont give up. The biggest headache is that many of the file names are different in Windows 7 and 8.

I am not familiar at all with win 8 yet.

Reply by Les_CO on 7/2/12 9:43am
Msg #425366

I just bought a new desktop/i7core 3.6 Gh/windows7 pro/64bit/12 Gs memory/and several TB of Hard drive storage……and it was SLOOOOOW. Every time I’d try and get online, or go to a site (like NR) it would say ‘waiting for response’ with a little circle arrowgoing aroundand aroundand around. I’d have to shut off, and re-boot…maddening. I finally called a computer tech-person, she came out messed with computer for a few minutes, changed settings and….. Voilà! The monster now works! Cost me $50, and worth every penny! I suggest you call someone similar, and NOT your EX’s.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/2/12 10:11am
Msg #425372

Send me the name of your $50 techie and I'll call HER. I just wrote a check for $375 to the one who set up my system.

Reply by Les_CO on 7/2/12 11:23am
Msg #425383

Since you asked, it’s Dawn Shanklin 303-986-8155. ( www.mo-power.com )I doubt is she will be of help to you but she is amazing, and reasonable. I use to call the geek squad, the only thing I found them to be expert at was charging. I highly recommend Dawn to anyone in the Denver area that needs come-to-you computer help.

Reply by dickb/wi on 7/2/12 8:51pm
Msg #425416

that's a good idea les....she can come in the back door of.. n/m

Reply by dickb/wi on 7/2/12 8:53pm
Msg #425417

that's a good idea les....she can come in the back door of..

his computor and set it up......i have seen that done before......once she is on his computor she can adfjust the settings and make it ok.....maybe even set it to the classic look that he is used to....

Reply by dickb/wi on 7/2/12 8:54pm
Msg #425418

sorry 1st post no good 2nd 1 is message.... n/m

Reply by SAmobile/TX on 7/2/12 9:59am
Msg #425370

Hugh, I understand your frustration

I’ve been teaching Microsoft Application courses to college students since 2005. The changes can seem very daunting at first. However, as mentioned earlier once you learn your way around the new system, you will probably find many of the upgrades and changes useful.

During the first week of the semester I have my students review the free Microsoft training videos on the Microsoft site. Once you learn what the software can do, it usually becomes less daunting.

If interested, you can watch a few short videos (most are less than 5 mins in length) on Windows 7 operating system on Microsoft’s website:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/videos/getting-around-the-desktop

Best of Luck!!

Reply by jba/fl on 7/2/12 10:32am
Msg #425377

Thanks for this link and thread....I got my new computer

and have not finished set up yet. Momma Motherboard went to her grandmother's 85th birthday shindig and I'm all incomplete. I have no printers, don't know how, don't want to know how so will sit here until the 5th to be up and fully running. I am being honest with everyone who calls and the ones in RE offices, well, they are printing for me and I just show up.

I'm so blessed! so I am taking the time to really learn the programs and how to do things. Once Momma comes back and gets me fully operational I will have it all down and fly....just fly! I am so looking forward to that. I'll be kayaking a lot to relieve the stress during this time as well.

Reply by Frank/NC on 7/2/12 10:20am
Msg #425374

Think of it this way. If you had to choose between having the ex-wives or the computer, which would you have? That may make the new computer sound better to have and probably costs less to keep or, for that matter, get rid of. Now is calling an ex wife really a choice you want to make? Remember, trophy computers cost considerably less than trophy wives as I'm sure you know.

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/2/12 10:31am
Msg #425376

And Computers don't care if you bring another computer home to spend the night, stay out late with the boys, walk around in your under ware till noon, or even fart while eating in front of the TV! If the dishes pile up the computer will not care! The computer will not notice that you are wearing the same socks for 3 days, nor will it change it's attitude if you have another beer!

Reply by MW/VA on 7/2/12 1:53pm
Msg #425390

Another advantage is that when you've had enough of the

aggravation you can just turn it off & walk away. That's so simple compared to divorce. ;-) LOL

Reply by 101livescan on 7/3/12 8:17am
Msg #425427

I think every couple should have a remote clicker to control volume, change in behaviour, or simply on and off, scan the history for variety, etc.

I understand your frustration, Hugh, you might as well get accustomed to it, cuz it ain't going away!

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/3/12 11:55am
Msg #425465

Fundraiser

I can't remember the details, but I remember reading about a fundraiser that was held in a town where many people worked for a large near-by computer company. The organizers obtained a bunch of obsolete hardware and set it out in a parking lot. Donors were provided with a face shield and a sledge hammer, and charged a dollar a whack.

Oh, wait. Hugh didn't like the NEW hardware. Lets hope that after a while Hugh feels the same way about his old computers as the sledge-hammer-wielders.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.