Notary Rotary
I just sent my first text message ...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2012 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 7/31/12 3:09pm
Msg #428833

... from the recently acquired Droid. That's a real milestone for a septugenarian technophobe.

But it doesn't end there. While texting, I discovered this little icon of a microphone. Turns out the Droid has an experimental program where you can add voice to your text. I'm not exactly sure how that is supposed to be superior to the voicemail that our great-grandmothers used, but I sent it on nonetheless.

Give me a week, and I'll be out-Wienering Anthony Wiener: Seductive texts, sultry voice messages and pictues of me, bigger'n life, manly chest and all. There's no telling what the future holds. And I owe it all to being forced into a smart phone because so many borrowers thought I was weird to use a flip phone.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people thinking I'm weird.

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 7/31/12 3:28pm
Msg #428835

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people thinking I'm

weird. too late!! lol

doesn't the voice part just mean you can speak your message and it converts it to text?
thats what my Iphone does.
inquiring minds....

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/31/12 3:31pm
Msg #428836

Hugh, the microphone activates the speech to text converter. It doesn't actually add a voice mail to the text message. You speak your message and then the program attempts to write out what you said. I've never found it to work very well, myself.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/31/12 3:53pm
Msg #428842

You folks are just determined to make me look not only technophobic, but technodumb, too. We'll see how the message arrives.

I think, though, that I have an unusually perceptive Droid. It converted my name from "Hugh Nations" to "humiliations."

Reply by bagger on 7/31/12 4:05pm
Msg #428843

Sorry Hugh, but

I think your roadkill on the information superhighway.

Reply by 101livescan on 7/31/12 4:34pm
Msg #428850

Worse than SPELLCHECK, right?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/31/12 4:42pm
Msg #428853

ROFLMAO! Good one! n/m

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 7/31/12 3:32pm
Msg #428837

That little microphone, I have a droid too. You can talk to it, and tell it what to text or type. Comeisn in handy dandy

Reply by 101livescan on 7/31/12 4:33pm
Msg #428849

Too late, Hugh. We all think you're HUGHLY wierd and there's no changing that perception. Good luck with your Droid. I just acquired the Android Razor Maxx. For two weeks I was flying through the air like the tail on a wildly out of control Kite. I got through it, and so will you.

You'll end up loving it more than any of your exes.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/31/12 5:00pm
Msg #428855

***You'll end up loving it more than any of your exes***

Is that before or after they became exes?

Reply by jba/fl on 7/31/12 5:42pm
Msg #428863

I use that voice to text all the time....the more you use it, the more it recognizes what you are really trying to say. You can get some really weird conversations though - always check before you send, unless you think it is funny enough to be thought as 'challenged'.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/31/12 8:06pm
Msg #428878

Like it or not, we have to text. I have a few cos. that

text me also. It's not my first choice, because I won't read or send text msgs. while I'm driving, which is a lot, of course. I have blue-tooth in the car, so handling calls is better.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 7/31/12 8:51pm
Msg #428888

On Smartphones and texts

If you can, disable the "auto correct" feature. I promise you, your spelling errors are far better than the substitutions offered by your phone.... the best of which will slip past you, off to your client, date, or whomever before you've caught them.

There are many, many web sites dedicated to humiliating foibles of text-to-speech or auto correct. My personal favorite http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/ Warning, don't go there unless you have hours to burn and know you'll risk spraining a rib laughing.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 7/31/12 9:35pm
Msg #428893

Re: On Smartphones and texts

Hugh..You are too funny! When I got my droid I was having so much problems learning the darn thing..I kept pocket dialing a SS..they would call me on my house phone to tell me to hang up the cell phone! Also I thought I would use a ring tone that was a person talking..So the first couple of times that the phone rang I didnt hear it..This one morning I was in the barn with the horse and all of a sudden I heard a voice..and it scared the crap out of me..I then realized it was athe phone! I soon changed that ring tone!

Next month Im getting the I-phone..Oh no! Technology..isnt it great!

I applaud you for attempting to use this smart phone..jAt least I have kids around to help me with mine..lol Good luck!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.